Blending your own paraffin container wax

Hi

Hope you can help.

I'm looking to have a go at blending my own container wax using an unblended paraffin (probably Sasol 3456)

Whilst I would never expect anyone to give away any formulas or recipes that they've worked hard to perfect I wonder if you could give me a few pointers and any tips regarding ingredients to use in straight paraffin wax especially when it comes to containers.

I've searched several threads and see ingredients such as Crisco, petrolatum, vybar, stearin, micro hard, micro soft, beeswax, coconut oil etc....the list goes on.

What should I ideally be looking for and spending my time with and is there anything you think is a waste of time pursuing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

David

Hello,

I'd stick to a soft microcrystalline wax at about 5-6% and petrolatum anywhere from 10-30% depending on how "Soft" you want the wax to be.  Softer will give a better fragrance throw when not yet burning (Cold throw) but it can also melt easier when you don't want it to - like in a parked car on a sunny day.  The Sasol 3456 is a good wax with a low oil content.  The oil content is a big contributor to soot.  Unfortunately, the petrolatum also brings oil content to the mixture.  If you are OK with vegetable materials, partially hydrogenated soy or palm oil can replace the petrolatum and help to reduce soot.  Good luck.

Todd

Prepare to spend lots of money! If your a perfectionist like I am, you will go through slabs of wax and ingredients trying to get it perfect. When you get it right, it is relieving and rewarding at the same time!

If you're going to use a straight paraffin, I would recommend using vybar to allow your wax to absorb more fragrance. Just don't overdo it, as you can "lock" the scent up. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon per pound, no more.

Petro will give better glass adhesion and give you a slightly quicker melt pool. Excessive petro will cause smoking.

Coconut oil is one of those things that may help increase your scent throw. There are a lot of mixed reviews, and I tend to think a little c.o. does help; it seems to give a better cold throw in my opinion.

Adding a little soy seems to help "tame the flame" and slower the burn depending on the soy wax.

Beeswax is nice, as it ionizes the air, but it's just too expensive, and your profit margin could take a hit in this economy.

Crisco was originally made to create candles! Crisco is hydrogenated oil, so keep that in mind as it will up the oil content in your wax formula.

Haven't tried microcrystalline wax, but I know it can vary from taffy soft to hard as a tabletop.

Good Luck!

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 6 years later...
On 3/20/2014 at 3:25 PM, David-W said:

Hi

Hope you can help.

I'm looking to have a go at blending my own container wax using an unblended paraffin (probably Sasol 3456)

Whilst I would never expect anyone to give away any formulas or recipes that they've worked hard to perfect I wonder if you could give me a few pointers and any tips regarding ingredients to use in straight paraffin wax especially when it comes to containers.

I've searched several threads and see ingredients such as Crisco, petrolatum, vybar, stearin, micro hard, micro soft, beeswax, coconut oil etc....the list goes on.

What should I ideally be looking for and spending my time with and is there anything you think is a waste of time pursuing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

David

Hu David. Came across your post years later! Was just wondering what you ended up going with in the end!

On 3/25/2014 at 3:04 PM, Becky said:

Prepare to spend lots of money! If your a perfectionist like I am, you will go through slabs of wax and ingredients trying to get it perfect. When you get it right, it is relieving and rewarding at the same time!

If you're going to use a straight paraffin, I would recommend using vybar to allow your wax to absorb more fragrance. Just don't overdo it, as you can "lock" the scent up. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon per pound, no more.

Petro will give better glass adhesion and give you a slightly quicker melt pool. Excessive petro will cause smoking.

Coconut oil is one of those things that may help increase your scent throw. There are a lot of mixed reviews, and I tend to think a little c.o. does help; it seems to give a better cold throw in my opinion.

Adding a little soy seems to help "tame the flame" and slower the burn depending on the soy wax.

Beeswax is nice, as it ionizes the air, but it's just too expensive, and your profit margin could take a hit in this economy.

Crisco was originally made to create candles! Crisco is hydrogenated oil, so keep that in mind as it will up the oil content in your wax formula.

Haven't tried microcrystalline wax, but I know it can vary from taffy soft to hard as a tabletop.

Good Luck!

Hope this helps!

I agree with all of your points except beeswax.  It may add some hardening capabilities to softer waxes like coconut, but there is absolutely zero science/evidence behind the "air ionization" of beeswax.  Same goes with salt lamps.  Their both beautiful products on their own, and shouldn't need magical thinking to make a sale.  

Edit:  I'm a silly goose and didn't realize this post was from 2014...  

Edited by GarthAlgar
  • Haha 1