I need new ideas for room fresheners

pamlaura

Just stumbled across this old thread + found it very interesting. So if one were to sell this, what would be the best way to package this so it 

retains its scent ? If Im understanding this correctly, you take salt of any kind + add FO - what is the best ratio to try. You people seriously 

AMAZE me - the things you come up with :) Im going to try this with scents I won't otherwise use. So those of you who tried this are 

happy with the results. Glad I found this old thread :) 

Guest OldGlory

Moonstar, I would recommend that you NOT use polyethylene plastic bags because they will suck the fragrance right out of the salt. Lesson learned the hard way. The silver back, clear front bags work well and are thick enough to take a beating. You could put the crystals in glass jars but try to avoid those jars with narrow openings. Think wider and flatter jars, more surface area (for passive scenting).

I would also suggest using scents that have a good cold throw. Not all FOs work for passive room scenting (no heat).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks ! So they are used solely for room scenting like potpourri and not to add to a wax /tart melter ? Just love this forum !

I have had good luck with salt in open bowls, on warmers, in muslin/organza bags, etc.

one of my brands uses muslin bags as packaging. For storage and shipping I package the portion inside a glassine bag, then put the glassine inside the muslin bag. The end user can choose to open holes in the glassine to release a little fragrance, or dump it into the bag for a lot of fragrance.

Likewise, they can dump the salt into a warmer, use in the vacuum cleaner, place in a dish in the bathroom, etc. it is so versatile. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I have had good luck with salt in open bowls, on warmers, in muslin/organza bags, etc.

one of my brands uses muslin bags as packaging. For storage and shipping I package the portion inside a glassine bag, then put the glassine inside the muslin bag. The end user can choose to open holes in the glassine to release a little fragrance, or dump it into the bag for a lot of fragrance.

Likewise, they can dump the salt into a warmer, use in the vacuum cleaner, place in a dish in the bathroom, etc. it is so versatile. 

I love the glassine + muslin bag idea .... who knew that this is so versatile Lol ! vacuum cleaner .... hmm - must try this for personal use 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Moonstar i did this.  I purchased a bag of Water Softening pellets from Home Depot.  Walmart was a bit cheaper.  I think weighed out 1lb in a glass container. I had a small scoop of GEL FOOD Coloring to one & Liquid Candle Coloring to the another jar.  The fragrance is still VERY STRONG so i will have to pull back on the .25oz. for 1lb.  but i did sell them anyway this weekend in smelly jelly jars.  OMG they are awesome!!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have had amazing results with salt and FO in my warmers around my home.  Does any vendor sell them specifically for warmers or would wax addicts find this too messy?  It seems like alot of more "natural" lovers would rather warm salt to breath in vs wax.  It also seems more cost efficient than wax.  I do see wax sprinkles selling decent even though that can also get messy. Thoughts?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been making scented solar salts for myself over the past year to test FO.   A friend wants me to make a few scents for her along with the candles I usually do.  I would like to give her refresher oil to reuse the salt in the future instead of new salt each time.  Can someone recommend the type of carrier oil I should use to mix with the FO to create the refresher oil.  Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gls said:

I've been making scented solar salts for myself over the past year to test FO.   A friend wants me to make a few scents for her along with the candles I usually do.  I would like to give her refresher oil to reuse the salt in the future instead of new salt each time.  Can someone recommend the type of carrier oil I should use to mix with the FO to create the refresher oil.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Great question! 

Goldie