I need new ideas for room fresheners

pamlaura

Guest OldGlory

I also have dendritic salt but have never used it in crystal potpourri. I used it for bath bombs.

I gave a lb of crystals to Chandler about 6 months ago - made it at least 5 years ago and I didn't add a single drop of oil to it when I gave it to her. She said it was quite strong in her house. The crystals had been in a closed jar during that 5 year period.

Maybe it's good for some people to use the extra salts, but I did not need it.

I looking forward to trying the salt thing! OG, I've searched the water softening salts and none of them look big online, the crystals look pea or bean sized; do you remember the brand with jumbo crystals? I saw those salt bars, but can't remember the name of them

That's a cool idea.

Guest OldGlory

Here's what I know -

Back at the peak of demand for the crystals I went to northern Indiana to get a friend started with crystal potpourri. We drove 100 miles in each direction from the biggest town near her and nobody carried big crystals. Don't get hung up on the size/type of the crystal. Look around and see what's available in your area and try several different types.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OldGlory

I don't remember where I got the bags, but they aren't hard to find. I like the clear front.

Yes, the salts are solar salts. The average size is probably between a dime and a nickel, but there are always jumbo pieces I have to smack with my scoop, breaking them into smaller pieces. I don't use anything bigger than a quarter.

The amber bottle is 5ml. There is a lb of crystals in the dish, and a lb of crystals in the bag.

Guest OldGlory

They are not available everywhere. I found out years ago when I tried to set my friend up in business - she lives in northern Indiana. We either called or drove to every potential seller of water softener salt within 100 miles and found nothing.

Rio Saltworks online does sell a variety of sizes in salt.

Guest OldGlory

I think most people just use candle dyes, but you can use food colors. I have also used powdered pigments, the kind you would use in soap. You can find all sorts of directions online.

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in this topic, as I love air fresheners - in house & for our cars - another thing all my family & friends love! I am wanting to try this salt thing to make air fresheners - what could I put this in for use as a car air freshener - some type of cloth bag? also, do the salts break down at all - get crumbly?

I am interested in this topic, as I love air fresheners - in house & for our cars - another thing all my family & friends love! I am wanting to try this salt thing to make air fresheners - what could I put this in for use as a car air freshener - some type of cloth bag? also, do the salts break down at all - get crumbly?

Organza, muslin, burlap or other fabrics work great for car freshener holders. I hang one from the directional post or the gear shift on a column type so it's near an air vent.

The salts have never broken down ever IME.

• Like 1