I need new ideas for room fresheners

pamlaura

lol.... I seriously envisioned a gas chamber happening in my basement as well! That would be my luck - aside from candles, EO's and 1 batch of sugar scrub cubes I am clueless on this stuff without a no fail recipe - I even screwed up bath salts!

Is anyone else having success with scented sea salt in a warmer? After reading this thread I searched the board and found a few other threads from years back where folks scented various types of salt and had luck with HT in a warmer. I am not so lucky. I made a small batch just to test. I basically added a 1/2 cup of coarse sea salt to a polypro bag, added about a teaspoon of FO and squished it all together until all the salt was coated. It smells great in the bag however I am not getting much throw at all from the warmer. I added a couple of teaspoons of the scented salt to the warmer and after close to an hour I am just not smelling it unless I put my nose right up to the warmer. Based on the posts in the older threads that I read, the HT was very good, so I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas or suggestions? I didnt let the salt fully dry but it didnt seem like that was important since I am just using it for myself to see if it would throw and not concerned about packaging. 

Thanks!

@ megandgarr, I can only tell you what I've eyeballed.  I'm not trying to sell it, so I'm just playing.  I use less salt & more fo than you.   I think I've used about 1/8 cup salt  - maybe a tad more & about .25 oz (that may be too much even) of  fo to that (I just use my eyedroppers for that). I just mix it in a lined dixie cup right before I put it in the melter.  I never wrote it down, I just eyeball it.   When I have a chance, I may have to dig into our stash of solar salt (no-one tell hubs ;)  It's been a great way to use my (cough) stash of oils.  To me it's very similar to adding the fo to some carrier oil & putting that in a melter.  This is easier to clean up though.

Edited by marcuset

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I experimented with salts

I used Morton coarse sea salt that I use for cooking and added some FO and a drop of liquid dye- mixed it all up in a 4 ounce smelly jelly jar with the vented lid

Now are you sure I can put this in my electric warmer? I am scared I'm going to blow up the place... I have never done this before and the warmer gets really hot

Once we need to buy more water softener salt I am going to try this for just room freshener but I got anxious to try something with salt so I made the above to try in a warmer

I found a website that sells beautiful salt crystals in all different sizes-the Himalayan is so pretty but they are pretty pricey so I am holding out for water softener salt

Why would the salt blow up? The melting point of salt is over 1,400 *F.

I would not put the glass jar on a heater, just because of potential thermal shock, but not because of any chemical reactions. The scented salt goes on the warmer directly.

Guest OldGlory

<snickering here about your lovely wax...>

Did something happen to your melters?

I just want to say that the really large crystals of salt (water softener type) can be scented and rescented and rescented, etc. When I made and sold crystal potpourri, the crystals were lightly coated. There is something about the way the salt crystals pull in the color and the fragrance and hold the FO for so long. It doesn't go all the way thru but the first mm or so really grabs the liquids.

@ OldGlory...no problems with melters; they just haven't been filled with scented wax in a while because of this. The hot plate warmer obviously gets hotter so the salt/fo mixture dries out sooner. You are absolutely right about refreshing it with more fo. Honestly, the larger crystals have more eye appeal, but plain old table salt is what I'm becoming partial to for the melter. I don't know why, it seems to work better thsn something larger like epsom salt crystals. Just my two cents.

I have had it going all day in the office and wow it's strong! I may have been a little FO happy

Amazing how well salt works and your right marcuset....much easier!

I now have a new way to get rid of all my FO's I don't want for wax

And old glory I can't wait to try the larger crystals and put them in mason jars for like the bathrooms!

• Like 2

This does sound really interesting.  Especially to try out a fragrance that you are on the fence about liking or not.  Or a blend test...Hmmmmm......

So.....is there any hard and fast rule for ratios?  I have rock salt on hand as well as Kosher, sea and canning salt.  Hmmm, might have to play.

The inner test kitchen technician in me is coming out......

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Chefmom I can't help you with smaller salt crystals. However, I would start low with FO and build from there. I had 10 lbs of salt to 1 oz of FO with the big crystals and that was enough for cold throw 3-6 months depending on the FO. Something like Cool Water (which I loathe because it burns my nose) will last way too long, lol. I would suggest starting with a ratio like that.

Now you gals have me thinking about a scoopable salt (thinking driveway type rock salt) and how to package.

It never stops, does it?

I definitely over did the FO-  my salt is soaked wet and you can see it in the bottom of the jar.....but does it ever smell so good

chefmom I just used what I had here for cooking- Morton coarse sea salt for putting directly in the warmer

Well I am going to have to give this a try again but add more FO this time around. I have a huge bag of extra salt that we no longer need from our water softener, and I most definitely have an extra bottle of FO or two (or five hundred, but who's counting) that I could use up. 

• Like 1

I definitely over did the FO-  my salt is soaked wet and you can see it in the bottom of the jar.....but does it ever smell so good

chefmom I just used what I had here for cooking- Morton coarse sea salt for putting directly in the warmer

You could add more salt.... Dump the jar contents into a big bucket and add salt til it looks no longer wet.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site an find ye all fab!!

I've added some FO to dishwaaher salt granules and they smell great at the minute! I've packed them in sealed bags 100g in each, how long will they last like this?? I'm hoping to make a lot more to gather up stock for a fair, will they start to sweat or will the salt just dry out more?? Also how much would you expect to pay got a 100g pack? TIA

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of you splurged to get the dendritic salt?  I have a bag of pool salt (about $7) from Wal-Mart, and to me this is the perfect sized crystals:  not big and not too small.  But if dendritic holds and releases more scent because of it's structure that might be the way to go.  Or it might be enough more aethetically interesting to make it worth splurging for.  I've just never seen it so I can't make that call, and with minimum order requirements and shipping costs being so horrific these days I'm not so quick to order stuff.