Insurance question. Do you have a company that acknowledges melts as different than candles?

I do not make candles. I am not going to make candles. Nor bath and body products. It appears that wickless is tossed into the same category as if I made products with wicks/flame. Sure, the argument could be that I COULD start making candles, but that is like saying I should be insured in case I decide to branch off into splitting atoms in my kitchen. I COULD manufacture anything, but I do not. I am a one fomat maker.

Curious about people like Brower and others. Anyone just make wickless and how are you insured?

Thanks!!

I know that there is no specific code for candle making according to my insurance agent/company.  My insurance policy lists me as a soap manufacturer, and I do not make soap.  IMO,  would say no, its a classification.  Maybe see if there is something under air fresheners/aromatherapy that you can get grouped under instead.  However it has the same issues with someone eating it, etc.  There usually isnt a way to get around insurance unfortunately.  

Oh, I am not trying to get around having insurance, I want to have the best and right insurance!

I am speaking with my agent today. I am working on a detailed doc (which I can share later if anyone wants) that shares how I make, what I make and what I do not make. Hoping that will help the underwriter in understanding.

I have already heard back. With questions about annual sales, how many shows I will do annually, if I am DBA or a corporation, how much I have in supplies and how much product inventory I carry.

I attached pictures of my set up, pics of melt cups sitting on a cooling rack and of my safety label attached to the following email:

My wax making hobby has turned itself into a business. I am now selling beyond friends and family. To help your Underwriter understand what I do, I have attached pictures and will offer detail. I can understand if this "business" is too small for your company to have interest. Many in my wax making community get "Crafter's" insurance through a company called Brower, and others including from wax/candle guilds. I would prefer to work through you. I trust you and your agency implicitly and your company has good products with a known reputation. I will not be offended if this is something your company does not wish to do and I will go with a company that specializes in insuring crafters.

I sell scented wax melts. They are NOT candles. There is no wick to light. No flame in any way. These wax melts are warmed in UL Listed warmers that are heated with a 25 watt lightbulb. I do not sell these appliances. Only the wax melts.

This is a countertop operation. I do not use my oven, nor burners on my stove nor microwave to melt wax. I heat the wax in a Presto brand cooker (basically a Crock Pot) to less than 200 degrees (food that I cook in the microwave can come out hotter than I ever get my wax). I then ladle my wax (which is dye-free) into a Pyrex saucepan that can withstand 500 degrees and add my oils. I stir and pour into heat safe portion cups. I allow them to cool on bakery cooling racks and then add lids and labels. I have also attached a warning label that goes on the bags that hold the melt cups for shipping or personal delivery.

Customers do not purchase in my home nor are present when wax is made. Most of my sales are online through Facebook and Etsy.

I have struggled to imagine a scenario where I would be responsible in a claim, although I know it could happen. Most scenarios that I can imagine would hold the warmers/melters accountable and the remainder are things that the homeowner would be responsible. I do want to be insured regardless.

Can you let me know what steps need to be taken to see if your company has interest and what a price would be for this annually?