Wicking 8 oz square Mason

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have problems wicking the 8 oz square mason jar? How much wax do you use? I am using 7 oz soy wax and having a hard time with the smaller neck of the jar. On the first couple of burns the flame seems too large and sometimes I get soot but by the end of the jar the wick looks great! If I wick down, it looks great for the first couple of burns but too small by the end. I know I could put less wax in and it would probably help my problem but then it just doesn't look full enough. Thoughts?

Wax: Ecosoya 135

Wicks: Testing with LX (22/24) and Peaks C series (C70/75)

Emily

I use that jar- 415 and fill mine to 7.5 ounces of wax and use CD or CDN wicks and have no problems in general

Some FOs will leave a film on the glass and a touch of Hangup in the corners and if wicking up proves to be to hot I just move on to another FO or find it with another supplier to see of burns differently

I used to use 135 with the LX wicks and I am thinking the CD can burn a little hotter so maybe try a few CDs and see of you can get better results

Edited by moonshine

Yeah, I was pretty bummed out yesterday because I got my order of CD sample wicks in the mail and half the labels had fallen off! Of course, one that has a missing label was the CD10, which I think is what you suggested to use in this jar. So, since I can't tell the difference between the 5 wick sizes with missing labels, I am stuck waiting for my replacements to come in the mail.....

I have tried LX26 but it's too large for the scents that I've tried. I've been bouncing between the LX22/24 and C70/C75. At 7% FO the 22 was a little too small but the 24 was definitely too big. I increased it to 9%, hoping the 24 would work. The first burn was a little wild but now I'm 3 hours in to the second burn and it's looking much better. So far there is about 1/8" MP but there's also a big mushroom.

Guest OldGlory

EmJean, have you tried Premier wicks? I buy mine from Aztec in Knoxville but I think other vendors have them too. Pretty sure they sell a sample pack.

In a sq. mason, I pour 7 oz of 464 and generally use the 767 size, with just a bit of variance depending on the FO I'm using. I use only Premiers in my soy candles now.

Nope, I've only tried the LX and Peaks Cotton Core. I got my CD sample pack today so I'm going to give them a shot. I'll put Premier on my list. I've seen them mentioned several times on here too. Thanks!

OK, I can't contain my excitement much longer and my husband is sick of hearing about it....I'm only on the 1st burn but these CD wicks look AMAZING! 1/4" MP so far and the jar is only warm. Wax pool looks nice and clear and hot throw is great!!! Trying not to get my hopes up but I think I'm getting somewhere :yay:

LadyinCali or Lorelei - How much wax do you put in the jar? I am using 7 oz and beginning to think maybe I need to use less. I'm experimenting with the CD wicks now and get a full MP and great hot throw on the first burn or two (where the jar is a little narrower) but then as it burns down the candle, the MP doesn't fill in the 3-4 hour test period. It's catching up fine and cleaning the wax off the sides of the jars but the hot throw isn't like it should be. I'm going to try a bigger wick today but I'm thinking that first burn or two will be way too hot. I Can't think of any solutions other than using less wax at this point!

This is only my opinion but with this jar because of the taper all mine do burn hotter at the beginning- they are not a torch but yes hotter- but as it goes down to where the jar is squared all the way down it doesn't stay hot... Full melt pool is achieved and it continually burns and throws consistent

It's at the end of the jar you do not want a hot burn- you should always be able to hold the glass without feeling burned

Is this the 10 CD your trying now? You can go up to a 12 or try a CdN12 which is the same just a different coating and it burns a touch cooler

Also my experience with 135 is that it makes a beautiful candle but the throw is no where near 464 or 415- many people use 135 with success but the challenge is finding the right FOs that love this wax and I didn't have the

Patience to keep Looking / so maybe when you say the throw isn't where it should be you should try the larger wick to see and if it's to hot try a different FO or move on to yet another type of wick / search 135 and wicks also and see what others using this wax use

I fill this jar to 7.5 ounces- right at the start of the threads

OK great, I was also thinking that maybe I just had to accept the first couple burns being a little hotter. I was testing a CD10 in Amish Harvest and CD12 in Pink Sugar. Neither of them reached full MP after the 2nd or 3rd burn so I repoured a couple with one size up this morning. Will cross my fingers and hope for better results. I think the hot throw issue will resolve itself with a bigger wick because they did have great hot throw on the first couple of burns when the MP looked good. We shall see....

And yes, I've found plenty that don't throw well in this wax. I debated trying some other waxes but I don't know if I have the energy to throw another variable in there at this point.

LadyinCali or Lorelei - How much wax do you put in the jar? I am using 7 oz and beginning to think maybe I need to use less. I'm experimenting with the CD wicks now and get a full MP and great hot throw on the first burn or two (where the jar is a little narrower) but then as it burns down the candle, the MP doesn't fill in the 3-4 hour test period. It's catching up fine and cleaning the wax off the sides of the jars but the hot throw isn't like it should be. I'm going to try a bigger wick today but I'm thinking that first burn or two will be way too hot. I Can't think of any solutions other than using less wax at this point!

EmJean - I use 9 ounces of wax when using a 8oz square mason. I always hold back a couple ounces for a repour, my tops always seem to turn out good - but I still go ahead and add the last couple ounces. I have tried CD wicks in the past and have had NO luck with HT. I know many on this board use them and love em - but I just can't get them to work for me no matter how hard I try. I like the Eco wicks because they produce a nice steady flame and I've always gotten a wonderful HT as well. I use a combination of waxes - a paraffin and soy so maybe that has something to do with the strong HT. Good luck! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

• 7 years later...
On 1/25/2014 at 9:32 AM, moonshine said:

I use that jar- 415 and fill mine to 7.5 ounces of wax and use CD or CDN wicks and have no problems in general

Some FOs will leave a film on the glass and a touch of Hangup in the corners and if wicking up proves to be to hot I just move on to another FO or find it with another supplier to see of burns differently

I used to use 135 with the LX wicks and I am thinking the CD can burn a little hotter so maybe try a few CDs and see of you can get better results

What size cd do you use ? 

Wow- a lot has changed since 2014

that was certainly has changed- it’s nothing like it was....but typically the 10 and 12 worked in that jar and wax 

now keep In mind when the wax changed a few years back those sizes were torches and I honestly haven’t touched 415 in a few years so use caution and I would start with a 8 and see 

• 4 weeks later...