Bitter EO?

rctfavr3

I'm looking for an EO that's slightly balsamic, imparting a sour/bitterness... to aid in either topnote enhancement or "desweetening" of a blend. Any ideas?

* Although "sour" and "bitter" are both terms more relative to a perceived TASTE, and not a SMELL...certain EOs exude this type of aromatic note. Has anyone come across an EO that's slightly "sour" for lack of better term? 'Something that could work to desweeten or provide topnote enhancement?

Guest OldGlory

Do you mind giving a list of the most prevalent notes/EOs in the blend?

Clary sage is a middle note, but to my nose it's smidge bitter. Best check the warnings first. My nose also picks up something bitter in Vetiver, which is a base note and common addition to well known fragrances. I can't stand either of them. Also, have you considered Rosemary?

I fear Rosemary would be too "warm" for my blend. Vetiver is definitely "bitter" but rather unpleasant to my nose. Might try some Clary Sage paired with a mild citron. Can't think of any one EO that's straight up "bitter" without other aromatic components such as floral, herbal, etc. Something like Elemi might work, which is said to smell similar to dill pickles, but I haven't any to try. I'll keep searching. Thanks OldGlory.

Any others?

This is a neat little site : http://www.stillpointaromatics.com/index.php?route=product/search/aromas

I find frankincense a little sour. Elemi too, with a citrussy note.

Some citruses can be sour or bitter, like a bitter orange. Litsea cubeba is a little sour.

Tunisian Rosemary is a less camphorous rosemary that may add a little of the toning down.

How about black pepper?

Labdanum?

Black Pepper has an almost metallic quality that might work in my blend. Not sure on Labdanum, but Galbanum might work too. Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll go ahead and order some Elemi (briney peppery citron) and see how that does.

Oh, and thanks TallTayl for the link. Its very useful.

Edited by rctfavr3