A Little help getting to know you.

Vicky_CO

What's your name? Hi My name is Melissa Proctor!

How old are you? Do I really have to tell this? LOL! I am 41. 😏

Where do you live? I live in a small town in North Georgia (off of the Appalachian Trail)

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I have been making soap and other bath products for 5 years now. Started my business a couple of years ago and it's slow going but hoping to speed it up a bit next year. And wanting to learn how to make candles next. 

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I started looking at how to make soap years ago because I couldn't find anything good for my skin. Have horribly dry skin and nothing works even prescription products. 

Are you married? Any kids? I am married (have been for 12 years) and we have one crazy, creative, sweet little 9 year old daughter.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My husband and I own a heating & air business but as with the coronavirus things have been slow. So hoping to find a remote position. Easier said that done right? Sheesh!

Anything else we should know? I can't believe I haven't found this site before now!!! It's like the best kept secret I think. I've seen a few people mention it here and there but didn't know what they were talking about. So glad I found it! Look forward to meeting some new people and making new friends.

• Like 2

What's your name?  Hi, my name is Nancy Visser

How old are you? I am 53 numerically but refuse to grow old!

Where do you live? I live on the Sunshine Coast, Australia.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I have been making candles now on and off for over 20 years (but a couple of fairly long breaks in the middle - thanks kids). This last stint has been about 3 years and my husband and I have started a candle company last December.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I have always loved anything artistic or crafty and saw an ad for a candle making class one day, went, and absolutely loved it. I also completed an organic skincare formulation course and make jewellery but the candles are my main activity.

Are you married? Any kids? I have been married this time for 6 years and have two amazing sons who are 25 and 22, as well as two fur babies.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My husband still works full time and at the moment I am a full time career for my stepson who is nearly 18, but as he should be moving out next year we are trying to get the candle business up and running to support us both.

Anything else we should know? I love to learn and am always trying to find good information on things. So while trying to find some information to help me improve my candle making I came across this site which seems to have a wealth of reliable information and where there are “discussions” at least people Gove reasons for their opinions instead of just stating things as fact without any backup. Looking forward to learning a lot on here and hopefully becoming a useful contributor.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas Eve! My name is Francesca and I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. 

What's your name? Francesca 

How old are you? 43 

Where do you live? Studio City, CA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I just began candle making in November... one whole month ago!

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I have been working as a makeup artist in the entertainment industry for over 20 years. Then COVID hit and my job went bye-bye. So I have been a homemaker since March. I have always loved candles and fragrance so I decided I try my hand at it. And now I have become obsessed and never want to go back to doing makeup. I would rather make candles all day long. 

Are you married? Any kids? I am married to Mr. Stoner (yes, this is our real last name!) and we have a dog named Ava. Mr. Stoner helped me make a batch of candles last night for a burn test... he loves that I have a hobby that makes me so happy (and frustrated). 

Anything else we should know? I am really interested in exploring this passion and would love to create my own small candle business down the road. 

Thank you all for your endless knowledge! 

• Like 1

What's your name? Carl

How old are you? 51

Where do you live? UK

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Just reading about them so far

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? To help the Mrs out as she wants to make her own

Are you married? Any kids? Yes & three lovely children with the evil ex

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Used to be a plasterer

Anything else we should know? Just ask!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, carlcall said:

What's your name? Carl

How old are you? 51

Where do you live? UK

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Just reading about them so far

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? To help the Mrs out as she wants to make her own

Are you married? Any kids? Yes & three lovely children with the evil ex

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Used to be a plasterer

Anything else we should know? Just ask!

Welcome to the Chandler's paradise. :) 

Sponiebr (AKA: NOT a Chandler)
The Executor of Bad Ideas, Soapmaking, and Sundry Services  

• Like 1

What's your name? Angie

How old are you? 49

Where do you live? Pennsylvania

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Since around 1997

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Bought a Mac.Apple candle, fell in love, decided to teach myself through the internet

Are you married? Any kids? Yes and Yes 3 adult kids

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? 

Anything else we should know? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

What's your name?  Chris (short for Christophe)

How old are you?   50

Where do you live?  in Belgium

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?   20+ years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?   you know what? I can't remember at all

Are you married? Any kids?  married, 4 kids between my wife and myself

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  work in IT and also a self-employed online second-hand bookseller 

Anything else we should know?   I've been webmastering the largest French language candkemaking online resource for the last 20 years, www.bougies.info

Hope to hear from all of you very soon!

Chris

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HowtomakeCandles.info said:

Hello everyone!

What's your name?  Chris (short for Christophe)

How old are you?   50

Where do you live?  in Belgium

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?   20+ years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?   you know what? I can't remember at all

Are you married? Any kids?  married, 4 kids between my wife and myself

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  work in IT and also a self-employed online second-hand bookseller 

Anything else we should know?   I've been webmastering the largest French language candkemaking online resource for the last 20 years, www.bougies.info

Hope to hear from all of you very soon!

Chris

Welcome!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!  I'm looking forward to learning from this group!

What's your name? Karen40s

How old are you?  68

Where do you live?  Western North Carolina

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 2019 

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  In the 1970's, I learned how to make beautiful Christmas candles from a 4-H leader who used paraffin, old red crayons for coloring, a roll of wicking, a pencil as a wick holder, and a hand mixer for making white snow for the top.  So easy, but my candle was always used for decoration and never burned.  So, in 2019 year I decided to make soy candles (influenced by a sister that made soy candles in a class) to sell in my antique booths.  Gave up after two months and made melts only.  In the spring of 2020, started testing again with some success.  Now I'm in the process of testing with some new wax blends and coconut wax to get the best hot throw with more  consistency while making a safe candle to sale. This year, I've also just begun to experiment with making soap and lotion.

Are you married? Any kids? Married, with 3 grown sons and daughter-in-laws.  

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Retired home economist.  Main job now is antiquing, but candles have taken over my life and kitchen.  Also, I use some of my time making textile products to sell in my booths.

Anything else we should know?   I work hard at using available online resources; however, my computer tech program skills are limited. Confession, I have spent my children's inheritance on candle wax and wicks trying to find a perfect match between wax and wicks and jars.  So right now,  I'm excited about getting some new insights from this group to help me toward the goal of a successful line of products for my antique booths.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone!

What's your name? Lisa

How old are you? 42

Where do you live? Washington

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Around 2019 I began playing around with making Solid Perfume for a long distance trip. Even though the trip hasn't happened yet, I still enjoy playing around with it making perfume for friends & family.

Are you married? Any kids? Yes & 6 chickens who think they're our toddlers.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  I work in a retail store around here.

Anything else we should know?  I'm currently playing around with other solids such as Shampoo Bars, Shaving Soap & Solid Lotion.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!!!!  Looking forward to making new friends and hopefully finding some old friends here as well.

What's your name?  Janet

How old are you?  Old enough

Where do you live?  West central Florida 

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Soaps 29+ years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  Diary goats farmer

Are you married? Yes for 35 and counting  Any kids?  2:  1 boy 1 girl

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  Soaping is my full time joy

Anything else we should know?  I'm currently organizing a Florida Soap and Candle Conference in January 2022.  

• Like 2

Good Afternoon! 

What's your name? Bailey

How old are you? 32

Where do you live? Dayton, OH

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? I've been dabbling in candles for a little over a year and plan to make my first batch of soap this weekend :)

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I went to school for art and of course am a secretary. I wanted to start making things again so I just dove into candles. I didn't realize the complexity of the situation :) I have enjoyed learning and am loving creating my own, useful things. I plan to learn many different crafts! It's great for my mental health as well.

Are you married? Any kids? Just got married on April 25th to my best friend ❤️ 

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? It is not, but deep down, I hope one day it could be! 

Anything else we should know? I am interested in many different crafts and am a little all over the place.  I'd love to also grow my own material for weaving baskets, making furniture etc. Also interested in sewing and making my own yarn and fabric. The possibilities are endless! 

I appreciate all of the advice, wisdom and knowledge on here! I've lurked in the background for a while and learned SOOOO much from everyone. Thank you!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What's your name? Andrew

How old are you? 39

Where do you live? Central Missouri

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? About a year

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Started off as a gift giving adventure, my wife and I wanted to do something unique for family and friends and thought that making candles would be an awesome idea. We had no idea just how amazing the community and process itself was!

Are you married? Any kids? Married 16 yrs with 3 boys!

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Sit at a desk for waaayyy longer than I like.

Anything else we should know?

I think this is the part where I get to share a little bit more which is exciting (and a little scary). I just want to start off by saying hello! I took the leap and decided to introduce myself after a little bit of reading through the forums. I quickly realized that this site is an amazing place to get ideas as well as ask questions and it would seem like there's not much if anything you all haven't seen in your years of making candles and soaps etc..

In the year that we have been making candles we've branched out into soaps as well and that has really come into a life of its own just like everything else! While we may not have quite as many scents as some others do its real easy to become a new scent junkie! When we find sites we haven't seen before its always hard to resist the temptation to expand your selection.

Either way I look forward to getting to know everyone and learn even more as there's so many things to talk about and learn as relates to all things candles and more!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

What's your name?   Lorie

How old are you?    54

Where do you live?    West Virginia

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?   15 years or so

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?   Started making soap and bath & body products while homeschooling my 30-something son for chemistry.  I continued with b&b but have recently taken up all things wax.

Are you married? Any kids?   No, and Yes

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?    Have a shop filled with things I love

Anything else we should know?   Sounds like a polite way of asking, "Is there a history of mental illness in your family?"  My answer is:  No more or less than anyone else's.   One thing, I guess:  I find people endlessly fascinating.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.  Very nice to meet you.

What's your name? Tina "StopComplaining"

How old are you?  53

Where do you live? Washington State

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 3yrs

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I thrive on learning.  Been trying to find out how to not get cancer since my mom died of 'cancer treatments'

Are you married? Any kids? Divorced. In a new relationship.  Four awesome adult children.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  Formerly: accountant / currently: bookkeeper(less stress and more time to make soap)

Anything else we should know? I can make anything..... but selling/marketing is another story

17soapsBerryChristmas30.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2013 at 10:42 AM, Vicky_CO said:

These questions were originally posted by laurenscandlebakery in a get to know you thread. So please start your own thread and let us get to know you. Only answer the questions you are comfortable. I personally will never tell you how old I am. :)These are only suggestive questions not required.

What's your name? Pam

How old are you? 50's

Where do you live? Lancaster County, PA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 1 year

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Making my own candles and soaps assured quality and I know the ingredients. 

Are you married? Any kids? Yes, yes, and I enjoy my grandbabies when they come to visit.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am a nurse. I do care coordination for individuals with developmental disabilities. 

Anything else we should know? My MIL (with dementia) came to live with us last spring. Soap and candle making provides me a way to work through stress, and gives me some fun things to concentrate on. 

You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

• Like 2

What's your name? Chris

How old are you? 60

Where do you live? Virginia

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Since 2014 on and off

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Saw a cool sea scape candle online and wanted to learn how to do them myself

Are you married? Any kids? 25 years next month, 24 year old son, 19 year old daughter

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work in the Operations department for a space defense company

Anything else we should know? Been a member here since 2013 and just discovered this thread! UGH!! I have made probably 100+ candles and to my knowledge, no one has burned 1. So, I decided to not wick them and not call them candles anymore, more of a decoration. I also 3d print things, customize sports figures, make t-shirts (I have a vinyl cutter) and do shadow boxes. Grew up in Hawaii and that's where I got my love for the ocean and beaches. LOVE this place also!! SO much information!

20220103_143429.jpg

20210218_141304.jpg

_20170907_130709.JPG

tiki-candles0.jpg

IMG_20140809_215759270 (2).jpg

Edited by eitsfan
Added more pics
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's your name? Amy

How old are you? 45

Where do you live? Pittsburgh

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Since 2020

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? My friend started making candles in 2020, and I started making soap. I worked with her for a while making and selling candles but it was too hard for me to juggle with my full time job. I started to focus more on cold process soap and perfumes and I have been making ever since! I also crochet and have an Etsy shop for my blankets, shawls and scarves. 

Are you married? Any kids? Single with furkid!

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am an engineering manager at an energy company

Anything else we should know? I have been here for about a year and I love this forum. I appreciate the years of experience that members have here and how they are willing to share their time and experience!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1