Vicky_CO

A Little help getting to know you.

How old are you?  61.  Not sure how I got this old, but it came quick!

Where do you live?  Just outside of Minneapolis, Mn.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Bath and body-4-5 years, Candles 6m

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  I saw a booth at my local farmer’s market with lovely soaps and I thought “I can do that”.  And so the journey began...

Are you married?   Yes.  Any kids?  3

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  Flooring Store owner(carpet, vinyl, ceramic, etc.).  Also Revenue Cycle Management(RCM) at one of the busiest hospitals in Minneapolis.

Anything else we should know? I’ve tried to find local classes on candle making at local comm.ed. and colleges, but Mn. must be a no mans land....so I was thrilled to find this site!!! Thanks for letting me join💖

• Like 1

suggestive questions not required.

What's your name?  My name is Dennis.   Someone already had it soooooo, I will be DoubleDee because someone always has DoubleD.

How old are you?  Recently celebrated the 32nd year of my 40th birthday.  40 was great and the rest have been wonderful

Where do you live?  Close to the sugar white sands of Northwest Florida  beaches.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Soap for about 8 years but as a hobby.  I have given away a ton.  I do not sell.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  Curiosity.  Seeing something and appreciating the work is not enough for me.  I love to experience it.  This has led to hobbies in stained glass, RH weaving, continuous strand weaving, cycling, windsurfing, scrolling, kumihimo. knife making, glass blowing, soap making etc.  I love to experience and gain a greater appreciation of the talent and effort people put into their creations.  

Are you married? Any kids?  Very married.  Three kids, 45, 23 and 25.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  Retired.

Anything else we should know?  

Edited by DoubleDee

Hi @DoubleDee welcome. We are practically neighbors, I live in south Florida.

Edited by Laura C

Hello! 

My name is Rosalie.  I am a New Yorker living in the Tropics for the past 30 odd years. Not married at the moment. Love tinkering with soaps and lotions and have been at it for 10 yrs on and off.  My profession:  secretary, esthetician and massage therapist,  none of which I do since I am retired.

Why do I make soap? I haven't found anything better for my skin than M&P soap and it's fun to make and excellent for gift giving and selling!

Thanks for accepting me into the group.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rollie said:

Hello! 

My name is Rosalie.  I am a New Yorker living in the Tropics for the past 30 odd years. Not married at the moment. Love tinkering with soaps and lotions and have been at it for 10 yrs on and off.  My profession:  secretary, esthetician and massage therapist,  none of which I do since I am retired.

Why do I make soap? I haven't found anything better for my skin than M&P soap and it's fun to make and excellent for gift giving and selling!

Thanks for accepting me into the group.  

nice to *meet* you!

Hi all -

I'm a newbie to this forum but not a newbie at candle-making.  I joined because I was really impressed with the knowledge base - i.e. lots of wicking and wax discussions.  I had a very prosperous business in 2004 but raw materials began to sky-rocket and I saw the writing on the wall before the big 2008 crash so I got out and went to graduate school.  I'm a child therapist by day but so many people wanted my candles over the years, I've started up again.  (In truth, I'm hoping that my resurrected candle business can pay for my monthly, exorbitant health care  costs and student loan rates, politics aside).   I'm 55 with two fantastic, grown kids and a phenomenal, 2 year-old grandson.

I live and work out of my home in central PA.   I feel like I'm starting from scratch.  I used to buy 25 pounds of scent from IFT and Koch and now I'm pouring 6% out of 16 ounce "samples" from retailers.  Back to humble beginnings I suppose, but it's such a passion and a challenge that I can't stop.  I fully expected someone in a 60-mile radius to come up with the perfect recipe for the perfect candle I used to make, but alas, nothing has compared so I'm trying to replicate my old stuff from memory.  Old testing notes have been lost.

I continue to use a Koster-Keunin container blend from New York - paraffin-based with carnauba and ventured into soy for about 2 weeks - long enough to ditch it.  I am OCD about testing and latched onto great posts here - some 5 years old - about RRDs vs. CDs.  LXs worked beautifully in my old, 5 oz. jars but I'm focusing on 16 oz. for now.

Thanks to all in advance for this wonderful site and your wealth of knowledge.  I only hope that I can contribute.

• Like 1

Nice to meet you Arch Rock....You came to the right place for sharing any and all.    Sounds like you will be a good asset for us here so join in.   Nicest bunch of friendly folks you will meet.

Trappeur

Hello, everyone!

What's your name? - YellowButterfly

How old are you? - 29

Where do you live? - Atlanta, GA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? - 1 year, on and off, but I've only been serious about it for about 6 months

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? - I've always like candles, but one day I woke up with this strong voice that kept saying, "Make candles!" (No kidding.)

Are you married? Any kids? - Single, no human children, but one (spoiled/well loved) fur baby/Mama's Boy, a Yorkie Shih Tzu.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? - Education field

Anything else we should know? - I'm a knitter, a bibliophile, and a music lover.