A Little help getting to know you.

Vicky_CO

What's your name? Lisa

How old are you? Old enough I suppose :)

Where do you live? East Bay, California

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? since the eighties

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Love of Herb Lore and craft

Are you married? Any kids? Yes, and one nine year old boy :) 

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? It is all we do, no time for anything else but maybe some gardening and wool spinning

Anything else we should know? Glad to be here!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moona13 said:

What's your name? Lisa

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Love of Herb Lore and craft

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? It is all we do, no time for anything else but maybe some gardening and wool spinning

Welcome Lisa

15 hours ago, Moona13 said:

What's your name? Lisa

Hi Lisa! Welcome. I'm Sponiebr... ^ That's Jcandleattic up yonder... Which... you've obviously MET!
OK, so!  

This (grandiose sweep of hand) is "us". By "us" I mean them, or we, they... (Uh, how about craftserver? Will that stick?Yeah?) This is CRAFTSERVER... (out of tune toots from a bugle playing a poor excuse for fanfare)  

Impressive, I know, but try not to be overwhelmed... I know it's so... erm, MAJESTIC that it's hard not to be overwhelmed, but trust me, the novelty will wear off at some point, maybe... 

So.... waddya make? I used to spin a long time ago, but don't anymore. Not so long ago I made a quick "junk" great wheel, which works fine for a simple wheel spun spindle.  My sister needed a "little" alpaca wool spun, and I was/am the spinner... What she failed to mention was that the "little bag" was a 1 quart tightly compacted bag of uncarded wool locks, 14 oz of alpaca to be exact. Oh, and (coughs) (she coughed not me, I didn't do it...)  6 or 8 ounces of angora that was also packed into a "little" bag...  She wanted me to just spin that up with a drop spindle real quick one afternoon, so I made a wheel. 

I make soap now. 

OH! I also do BAD ideas, and I'm always up for new kinds of bad idea testing so... 

Ok! C'ya! Bye-bye! 

:hello:

Sponiebr: The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

• 4 weeks later...

What's your name? JOhn

How old are you? 28

Where do you live?Washington DC

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? for 5 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?Actually, i used to work with my friend. He trained me in candle making. Now i work alone :)

Are you married? Any kids?Not married

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I work at a startup

Anything else we should know? yeah, i m very humble kind of person, here to learn from you guys. hope to contribute positively to this forum.

Edited by LoveFragrance
  • Like 1

Hey there!

My name is Valerie.

I don't think age is relevant.

I live in Oregon.

I have been making soy candle on and off for 15 years for friends and family. I still make a lot of duds.

I started making candles because I am a candleholic and thought making them myself would save money. Unfortunately I have never met a fragrance oil sale I didn't like and I have a huge stash.

I am retired, divorced with 2 grown children, 4 grandchildren.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have also posted a rather lengthy question/challenge under candle wax and wick tests. If anyone could add their input I would so greatly appreciate it!

What's your name? Brenna

How old are you? 35

Where do you live? San Diego, originally from Western NY

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Candles only, a few months

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I am basically obsessed with candles and have always wanted to make them. I also am a maker of Jewelry and home goods so I thought this would be a great compliment to my product line!

Are you married? Any kids? I am married, and have 4 year old rescue pup named Lucy. She is truly our baby girl.  

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? Making and selling my other goods, and I also work pt time at an adorable flower shop (where all of my products are also for sale)

Anything else we should know? I love that this community is open to sharing information and tips on how to make the best products to support small business! I look forward to learning from everyone!

You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all....

Guess where I am from...? Lol

Lisa here from Dallas, Texas

I am a 45 year old mom who started making candles about 2 years ago. I have been doing so much research and testing preparing for the day my nest became empty and I would start my own business. Well nest is empty (GIG EM) and I have all my ducks in a row to start my business but stupid me decides I need more fragrance and and wanted to try soy and now I am,just wanting to pull my hair out. I have the c3, 444 and the new q210. But the time it takes to even try one is way to long. I have read so many opinions now I am just lost. I bought vybar and used coconut oil ....I have bath products that are amazing and super creative and my first show is on the 18th. Anyone with advice please sound in. And yes making candlles and bath and body is my career now that mom job is part time and I am too old to dance professionally ballroomm...maybe that's too out of shape.

Edited by Maibi.so.or.no
Add more misspl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just call me Denny Marie.

I'm 52 yrs old. Been married to my husband for 33 yrs next month.

Have 5 children and 6 grands. Our 2 youngest are teenagers, still at home.

Started making soy candles 9 yrs ago. I've been using an Ecosoya wax that's been discontinued, so I'm starting to experiment with palm wax. I live in GA. Last summer I had ordered a box of wax; it got so hot during shipping that it melted into one big chunk. I make these by hand.

• Like 1

What's your name? Angie

How old are you?49

Where do you live?The Cayman Islands

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? 18 years

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? There was a lack of great candles and soaps where I live so I started making them myself :)

Are you married? Any kids? Yes, 1 son

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? This is my full time job.

Anything else we should know?  Nothing I can think of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I had a fun candle company 17 years ago. I had such a hard time making enough profit. I was selling a little too low, and inventory prices seemed to be rising. At the time I lived in TX and shipping was killing me.  When the kids left home, I closed and sold my inventory. Now, I am a full time college student living in Oklahoma City. I plan keep rising . I plan to re-open a candle business soon,( just online for now.) It is also my hope to begin a candle supply house in the next year. I may carry  only the basics for awhile but they will be priced well, and in Oklahoma, there isn't a candle supply house that I know of.  I bet it is needed. As soon as I have started, I will definitely be a sponsor to this site and share. I am also a writer and counselor in training. Work with homeless and addicts, fighting the war on drugs. I have considered going all soy, but I am not sure if I can make the leap paraffin! -Charlotte

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cat51 said:

Hello everyone! I had a fun candle company 17 years ago. I had such a hard time making enough profit. I was selling a little too low, and inventory prices seemed to be rising. At the time I lived in TX and shipping was killing me.  When the kids left home, I closed and sold my inventory. Now, I am a full time college student living in Oklahoma City. I plan keep rising . I plan to re-open a candle business soon,( just online for now.) It is also my hope to begin a candle supply house in the next year. I may carry  only the basics for awhile but they will be priced well, and in Oklahoma, there isn't a candle supply house that I know of.  I bet it is needed. As soon as I have started, I will definitely be a sponsor to this site and share. I am also a writer and counselor in training. Work with homeless and addicts, fighting the war on drugs. I have considered going all soy, but I am not sure if I can make the leap paraffin! -Charlotte

Sounds great-If the prices are less or even equal to other places, I’d be happy to order from you.

hae you thought about getting into the fragrance oil  business too, or mostly just wax?

What's your name? you  can call me Sunday

How old are you?  A young happy healthy 59 or am I 58? ..yes 58.. at this point who cares
Where do you live?    Victoria on Vancouver island...Canada
Are you married? Any kids? Married 32 years to high school crush...3 beautiful daughters
How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?Messed around with candles as a young teen 1975...remember those Scandinavian candles that looked like eggs...I hollowed out eggs and filled them with wicks and wax...made sand candles and ice candles I (guess parenting was different then since my parents let me mess around with hot wax on the stove)...,....then nothing for 40 years... nothing waxy anyways
How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Fell back into candle making a few years ago sell at some farmers/Christmas markets now and then and wholesale to a store...thats all...dream of making upscale  la - de - da  candles...and if collecting fragrances could be my hobby ....well...
If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? My husband and I have a business and I have a wedding rental business...,I'm a florist and did  wedding florals up until last year.
Anything else we should know? I love to garden and am in the process of turning my ten acres into a park..Yes just like you everyone laughed at me when I said that's what I wanted to do...they're coming around now ...love love love big projects Spend time helping my 85 year old mom stay in her home..broken hips and all  (ohh she's not a big project....most days)
...I have collected an insane amount of vintage china teacups hahahah I'm a coffee drinker and have never used a single one. Addicted to audio books it's like story time all the time...Big Fan of Dahlias also big fan of craftsaver and all you guys...just want to have a gigantic party and invite all of you...think of the fun we would have!....we could use the teacups
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

What's your name?

Let's just call me Strugglebrother

How old are you?

I'm 42

Where do you live?

I'm Swedish. Moved to London, UK and then ended up in Los Angeles (last 5 years) after meeting my lovely girlfriend here.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?

About 3 years now

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?

My girlfriend is a part-time perfumer and we wanted to start a business together so the interest grew thanks to her. She does the blending and I do most of the production.

Are you married? Any kids?

Not married (yet)... No kids.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?

I'm a music and radio producer so I tend to spend a lot of time in front of a computer and I work remotely these days thanks to the internet.

I really wanted to work more with my hands instead of sitting in front of the screen all day hence why we started the business. I've always been interested in design and all the aspects around branding and such.

Anything else we should know?

I used to be a touring DJ for 10 years but hung the headphones on the wall. I still go out to clubs sometimes but more on special occasions. I love animals and to take trips to Joshua Tree for the relaxing silence out there in the desert.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's your name? Forrest, but you probably figured that out already

How old are you? I am not older than dirt, I don’t care what they say

Where do you live? Huntsville, Alabama

How long have you been making candles? About one year

How did you get started making candles? Well, I was dumb enough to think I could save money if I made my own candles, OK, you can stop laughing now

Are you married? Any kids? Two grown daughters and one granddaughter

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I’m a rocket scientist, OK, not really, but I am an engineer at NASA

Anything else we should know?  For the time being I am strictly an amateur, but thanks to all I have learned in these forums I’m starting to look into the idea that a candle business could be a source of supplementary income when I retire in a few years.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What's your name? Debra

How old are you?  I am a proud member of the Crone Age

Where do you live? Virginia

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Whatever - since I was a kid.  Candles - brand spanking new

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? Whatever - because I couldn't not make stuff.  Candles - I want to make candles to go with fused glass candle plates.

Are you married? Any kids? Married once, not now.  Kids all grown up, but still need Mom now and then.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  I teach English and other stuff at a small university.

Anything else we should know?  I am an introvert, so listen more than speak, or here, maybe read more than type.  :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What's your name? Cheryl

How old are you? a proud Gen X'er

Where do you live? North East Ohio

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?     Chandler-playing with all things wax for most of my life, 22 years for profit

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?     My aunt taught me the basics when I was a kid

Are you married? Any kids?    yes, we have two girls that are all grown up now

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  it's my full-time job

Anything else we should know?      it's been many moons since I've been on this forum,glad to be back !

• Like 1

Hi, my name is Sandra and I'm from Ottawa, Ontario,.I've been making candles for a few years, but still haven't  got the wicking part down, except for tealights. I also make bath products and recently started to dive into cold process soap. Happy to be here!

• Like 1

What's your name? Don

How old are you? 58

Where do you live? Harrisburg, PA

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Just getting started !! I am obsessed with learning to make cut & curl candles.

Are you married? Any kids? Divorced (We get along much better now !!) A 33 year old daughter and 3 grands.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I am a CDL delivery driver.

Anything else we should know? Got bored being off work for pinched spinal nerves the past 5 months. Started buying some supplies in need of a hobby. Surgery in two days...then maybe I can get seriously into doing the candles !!

Greetings all! I'm glad to be here and really appreciate all the effort everyone has put into making this a great community. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing my own journey along the way.

What's your name? Will

How old are you? 40

Where do you live? Austin, TX

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? ~4 weeks

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? A friend of mine threw out the idea that it would be good. So, we both started our own candle business. Now, we talk about it every day at work!

Are you married? Yep - 18 years this summer.

Any kids? Yep - 4 amazing kids

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? I'm a product manager for a tech company.

Anything else we should know? I'm new to candles. I've run a few businesses of my own (lifestyle - meaning that they paid for my lifestyle, not for generational wealth, etc). If I can help on the business side of things (marketing, business planning, demand-gen, advertising, etc) let me know.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2013 at 9:42 AM, Vicky_CO said:

These questions were originally posted by laurenscandlebakery in a get to know you thread. So please start your own thread and let us get to know you. Only answer the questions you are comfortable. I personally will never tell you how old I am. :)These are only suggestive questions not required.

What's your name? Mary Nimz

How old are you? 

Where Southeast Texas

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? off & on about 5 yrs

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? just a hobby

Are you married? Any kids? yes, i have 3 daughters

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? embriodery and custom sewing

Anything else we should know? not at this time

You do not have to be a new member to introduce yourself.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What's your name?  Laura

How old are you?  A bit shy of senior status

Where do you live?  Massachusetts

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever?  Just getting started

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever?  I got a candle making kit as a kid & never forgot about.  Loved candles ever since then.

Are you married? Any kids?  Nada to both, although I wanted both to happen

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do?  I am a Supervisor/Reservation Agent for an airport shuttle company

Anything else we should know?  As a kid, I was a champion Irish Step Dancer and I loved every minute of it!

• Like 1