Incense

kforbs126

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PCBrook you said you purchased the Madina ones and they were terrible? I'm wondering how terrible compared to the others. They are definitely the cheapest by a decent amount and they all seem to not be the quality we are looking for.

Here is my price break down: Wish there were other suppliers and my shipping would be a bit lower if I ordered DPG with them. I'm wondering if it is worth it to go with the cheapest.

Cost Ship Total

Madina 10000 $25.00 $32.34 $57.34

Wellington 10000 $36.95 $31.11 $68.06

SOS 10000 $45.56 $38.63 $84.19

Edited by kforbs126

Madina's were a lot like Wellington's. Although I did not check the totals for the bundles. I just took their word for it that there was close to 100. I thought it interesting to read another post here that a supplier they were checking into bundled them by weight. I guess it makes sense they would do it that way.

I bought 10000 from Madina and it took me about 1-1/2 years to go use them up. When I bought them they were about $18 for 10000.

But I hear what you are saying. Might as well go with the cheapest since they are all like crap.

Madina's were a lot like Wellington's. Although I did not check the totals for the bundles. I just took their word for it that there was close to 100. I thought it interesting to read another post here that a supplier they were checking into bundled them by weight. I guess it makes sense they would do it that way.

I bought 10000 from Madina and it took me about 1-1/2 years to go use them up. When I bought them they were about $18 for 10000.

But I hear what you are saying. Might as well go with the cheapest since they are all like crap.

Thanks for the reply. I know it would take me a while to go through them too. Since right now I'm just selling on etsy waiting to move back to the east coast so I can do shows and farmers markets will all my products. At this point I doubt any of them are close to 10,000. I wondered if anyone contacted the company that sold by weight which was in Florida. They didn't have a shipping calculator and I'm always leary to order from a random website.

• 1 month later...
I'm going to buy some from Aztec on Mon. I'll post once I get home with them.

Did you ever try Aztec's out? I see you do not get much of a price break when you order over 1000.

Edited by pcbrook

• 1 month later...

For those that sell incense, do you guys bring it to craft shows? I have a craft show saturday and I'm up in the air whether to bring it or not. I sell a good amount online but have no idea if it's something to bring to a show. I'm doing my soaps, lip balm and wax melts, so I could have some space for incense.

• 1 month later...

I have always been curious about incense...I always but it from mountain rose herbs but never tried making it myself

So do you just soak the entire stick in a 50/50 ratio of DPG and FO- and for how long?

Then dry them and they are ready to go?

Do they really release fragrance or is it a more smokey burning smell?

I have always been curious about incense...I always but it from mountain rose herbs but never tried making it myself

So do you just soak the entire stick in a 50/50 ratio of DPG and FO- and for how long?

Then dry them and they are ready to go?

Do they really release fragrance or is it a more smokey burning smell?

I used a 2 to 1 ratio of DPG and FO. I'm going to try equal amounts next batch. I soaked for 24 hours, than placed on wax paper. That method did not seem to work very well and was extremely messy. I stood them up in two large glass measuring cups and let them dry that way. They dried for two days, I just finished burning my first handmade incense this morning!  Woo Hoo! Burned exactly one hour, steady stream of smoke, not real strong but I could smell it. All of the windows are open though, so maybe the scent was weaker because of that. It was a smoky, good scent. I used Merlin's Forest on one set and Patchouli Raspberry on another.

I use 50/50 DPG and FO oil also.  Soak the whole sticks in the oil mixture for at least 48 hours.  At least once a day I'll move the sticks around and make sure the oil is covering everything.  I have several of the large wide-mouth candle jars I got from Hobby Lobby, put a couple of wadded up paper towels in the bottom, and stand the sticks up in those and let dry for a couple of days.  The jars sit in a couple of throw-away aluminum roaster pans to catch the drips.  I use charcoal sticks which are pretty messy themselves, so I always put on gloves.  I get a very good, true fragrance.

Merlin's Forest is excellent in incense.  Try the Patchouli Passion as well.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Thank you for the info... One more question - so soak the entire incense stick, even the part that doesn't burn?

So I could just use a 13 X 19 jelly roll type pan and throw them turning them here and there or just soak the burning part using a tall glass jar?

Best place to buy them suggestions? And difference between charcoal and not?

Sorry that was more than one question!

I want to try this - I love incense and have been out for some time not needing supplies at MRH I haven't placed an order

Edited by moonshine

I bought two 12"x 3" glass vase from Walmart for $2.97.  Tall, fat & completely straight. I had to put 300 sticks in at once, because of the size of the jar.  Since I am a newbie with them, I just had to keep rotating the sticks. i may put them back in for another 24 hours.

Moonshine I only soaked up to where the bare stick starts.

I bought some from Aztec & Wellington, they seem the same. It looks like the link to the store PMM provided in another thread is the best place to buy DPG> I am going to call about the shipping though.

PPM, I will try Patchouli Passion, I need more DPG, so after I buy more. I plan on using up all of MWs FOs in the incense, no point in keeping all the darn LBs I have.

http://www.scentsofparadise.com/best/product/raw.html

http://www.nematfragrances.com/products/unscented_charcoal_incense_sticks.php?id=C15

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Guest OldGlory

When I made incense sticks I also bought skinny vases from the dollar store and put in as many sticks as would fit - not tightly. I used enough liquid (50/50 dpg and fo) to cover up to where the naked stick starts. I also bought some window screens and laid the sticks on the screens, with baking sheets below to catch any drips. After they dried completely, I started the soaking process again. I was very pleased with the results!

One of my favorite stores in Knoxville sells stick incense in quart canning jars. It's so much fun to smell them all and pick out the ones you like.

I actually found some longer pans with plastic lids, deeper than a jelly roll but those would work very well.  I just put the whole sticks in the pan and pour the oil over the charcoal part.  Of course, the handles do get wet.  I have a couple of small tongs and I just move the sticks around periodically.  I couldn't find jars/vases that were tall/skinny enough to put in 50 to 100 sticks and not have to use twice as much FO/DPG mixture than on the sheets.  I haven't tried very hard since incense is more of a niche market for me, not a lot of sales but I do have a following.

Old Glory, that is actually a good idea, screens over sheet pans.  Any issues with the FO or DPG eating through the screen?

I get DPG from Madina Industrial.  The per pound has gone up $1.  But, they now have 10lb and 30lb containers at a discount.  

http://www.madinaonline.com/items.asp?Cc=CUT_OILS&iTpStatus=1&Tp=

Moonshine, to me, the biggest difference between charcoal and wood punks is when burning.  Charcoal gives a pure fragrance scent while wood punks will have a smokey quality while burning.  Plus, I grew up on Gonesh so have always liked charcoal. I think wood requires a bit more FO/DPG mixture to get a good soak.  Again, in my experience.  Charcoal is more messy so take that in to consideration.

If you want to try both wood and charcoal, you can get them both at Save on Scents.  The overall cost will be higher than the links Chandler listed, but they both require a minimum order.  I'm actually going to be placing an order with SOS sometime this week and I'll be happy to include what you might want on the order.  I can send the sticks in a flat rate envelope which should be cheaper than shipping from SOS.

Chandler, I have been wanting to try the incense from Nemat.  They have 8-1/2 charcoal sticks, so they are shorter and fatter, but the same burn time as the 10 inch.  I think there could be more packaging options with the shorter sticks.  But, with the minimum order requirement and then the shipping which is very high, I would end up with 6,000 sticks.  Would take me a long time to go through that many sticks.  I think the min order from Scents of Paradise is even higher for a first order.  Not sure about shipping.