For those who had interest in the squeezy/squirty melt wax, NG posted a tutorial.

justajesuschick

• 3 weeks later...
I tried Flicker's recipe that was posted in the BCN blog here:

http://bittercreekcandle.blogspot.co...ented-wax.html

All of my testers have LOVED it and the people who aren't super big into melts don't understand it. LOL

pita,

what did your testers think of the clean up aspect of this? Were any of them put off by the fact, you cant just pop out the wax like you would if you used a tart?

• 8 years later...
6 hours ago, Marina Howlett said:

I have just started making squeezy wax, using soy wax and mineral oil. I have tried the 30g wax /60g mineral and it separates. Ive now got to 45 wax/ 45 mineral after a number of tries and it still separates. What am I doing wrong?

I doubt you’re doing anything wrong per se. The nature of soy wax is to form various random crystal sizes which can easily lead to separation. While searching technical documents and patents, you may find that phenomenon of many different sizes of crystals referred to as polymorphism.

Poly = many, morph = change. Soy does not form stable, fixed size crystals like a paraffin, but instead random globs which change continuously with time and temps. It’s kind of like how homogenized milk stays nice for a time, then the fatty bits coagulate and separate when that calculated shelf life time elapses.

if you’re a tinkerer, you may want to experiment with lotion making techniques or ingredients. I’d look at stabilizers and emulsifiers. The emulsifiers in this case won’t be to stabilize water and oil, but rather to stabilize the crystal formation for a while.

if it were me, I’d skip the soy headache and use a wax that will remain consistent so my eventual customer won’t be shocked by separation when they go to use the product.