Let's have some fun with leather

Scented

I abhor the scent, but that's why it sells so well :rolleyes2

So it has had me blending a little and seeking ideas for blends.

With leather as a component, what would you blend to come up with a scent for the following names? (I know there are mixes out there already. That is not what I'm looking for.)

Rough riders:

Chaps:

Rodeo

Rode hard:

Ranch Hand:

Blazing Saddles:

Rattlesnake Roundup:

Bronco Buster:

Howdy Ma'am:

Desperado:

Galloping Ghost:

Leather & Lace:

Big Country:

Looking forward to suggestions. Thanks for the indulgence.

For Blazing saddles I would mix leather with red hot cinnamon maybe?

I live in Texas so leather is a big seller for me. I mix it with cherry and call it cowgirl kisses and also vanilla and call it cowgirl lace. I've also mixed leather with strawberry and called it cowgirl candy. I'm thinking about something for cowgirl bling.

Big Country-maybe leather and some kind of woodsy scent?

Leather and Lace-leather and lavender maybe? Or leather and lilac? Something real feminine.

I'm not really good with blend ideas. :o)

I mix JS cherry bomb and leather about 50/50. The strawberry is about the same. I can't tell you how crazy the girls I work with went over the cherry and leather mix! I was pretty surprised. I like the scent but that's not what I want burning in my house!

I've bought leather from three companies and a few samples from others. The first leather I bought was from Texas Candle supply. Then I ordered from TCS but I didn't like theirs as much. Today I went to Lonestar's showroom for a few minutes and bought a bottle from them. I think theirs is the same as Texas Candle Supply. So far, it's the best I've smelled IMO.

Texas Candle Supply has one called Chaps and it's described as a blend of leather with fruits and berries.

I've been thinking about getting some more from him. What I've bought from him was strong, I just haven't bought that many. He doesn't have a store front but I'm only about 20 minutes from him.

Rough riders: Leather + Amber + Cedarwood

Chaps: Leather + Rosemary + Cotton

Rodeo: Leather + Timber(Hay) + Animalic Musk

Rode hard: Leather + Black Cherry

Ranch Hand: Leather + Apple n Oak + Patch

Blazing Saddles: Leather + Curry + Kitchen Spice

Rattlesnake Roundup: Leather + Pot(Cannibus) + Blue Berry

Bronco Buster: Leather + Rasberry Patch

Howdy Ma'am: Leather + Apple Pie X 2

Desperado: Leather + Cigar type + Honey

Galloping Ghost: Leather + Baby Powder + Mint

Leather & Lace: Leather + French Vanilla X 2 + Cotton

Big Country: Leather + Oatmeal and Honey + Sandalwood

Rough riders: Leather + Amber + Cedarwood

Chaps: Leather + Rosemary + Cotton

Rodeo: Leather + Timber(Hay) + Animalic Musk

Rode hard: Leather + Black Cherry

Ranch Hand: Leather + Apple n Oak + Patch

Blazing Saddles: Leather + Curry + Kitchen Spice

Rattlesnake Roundup: Leather + Pot(Cannibus) + Blue Berry

Bronco Buster: Leather + Rasberry Patch

Howdy Ma'am: Leather + Apple Pie X 2

Desperado: Leather + Cigar type + Honey

Galloping Ghost: Leather + Baby Powder + Mint

Leather & Lace: Leather + French Vanilla X 2 + Cotton

Big Country: Leather + Oatmeal and Honey + Sandalwood

Quite the blending ideas here. I did do a blend with leather and cinnamon (stinky. Reminds me of plastic leather, but let's keep in mind I hate leather so anything is stinky, but this was just nasty. I did another blend with leather, mac apple, hayrack ride and eucalyptus. All this one smells is apple. so nice lmao.) Will have to give some of these a shot and see what I have that would fill in for what I don't.

OMG! Julie!

You have no idea how much effort (and moola) I've been pouring into finding/making a true strong "leather" fragrance. I don't stock one yet, but know it's a must have for me especially since I'm going B&B by the Fall.

I'll be watching this thread closely for opinions and recipes.

Thank you for your perfectly timed gesture.

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy

These sound wonderful! I need to try some. Who sells the best Leather FO?

ChandlerWicks, IMO Texas Candle Supply or Lonestar has the best leather. I bought my first bottle from Texas Candle supply and compared to all the other bottles I've bought and samples I've bought from other companies, his is the best and strongest. I just bought a bottle from Lonestar yesterday (got to go to their showroom) and if my nose serves me right, it's the same as the one from Texas Candle Supply.

I bought a bottle from TCS and my husband liked it, but I still prefer the other. That's just my opinion but I would go with Lonestar or Texas.

Thanks Belinda!

ChandlerWicks, IMO Texas Candle Supply or Lonestar has the best leather. I bought my first bottle from Texas Candle supply and compared to all the other bottles I've bought and samples I've bought from other companies, his is the best and strongest. I just bought a bottle from Lonestar yesterday (got to go to their showroom) and if my nose serves me right, it's the same as the one from Texas Candle Supply.

I bought a bottle from TCS and my husband liked it, but I still prefer the other. That's just my opinion but I would go with Lonestar or Texas.

Quite the blending ideas here. I did do a blend with leather and cinnamon (stinky. Reminds me of plastic leather, but let's keep in mind I hate leather so anything is stinky, but this was just nasty. I did another blend with leather, mac apple, hayrack ride and eucalyptus. All this one smells is apple. so nice lmao.) Will have to give some of these a shot and see what I have that would fill in for what I don't.

Leather with Black cherry is also pretty nasty in my humble opinion, but I tone it down with a little french vanilla and it smells much better. Some of those leather types are so topnote heavy, with that almost caustic chemical synthetic smell that ANYTHING blended with it smells nasty. Then there are some leathers that are more subtle and understated like worn leather. Depending upon the leather used they will definitly bring about different characteristics. I would think with most of the ones you mentioned, a softer warmer leather would be ideal -- somthing more akin to Suede, and less like car vinyl. Have you tried Vanilla Suede?

That apple one sounds like a good blend! Another blend with Leather that works suprisingly well is Coconut. But Amber (from SOS), Timber (another from SOS) and Baby Powder are my goto blenders for taking the sharp synthetic edge off. I have a great Pirate FO using Leather, Sandalwood, Coconut, Butterscotch, and Bay Rum.

Edited by rctfavr3

The Pirate blend you have sounds intriguing. I may have to try that one since the school I work at has a pirate for our mascot!

Haven't thought about mixing leather with more than one scent either. I'll have to try that and see how it goes. I took a basket full of new clamshells to a private school last week. The parents were asking for some "new" scents but guess what they want....you guessed it, leather!

Edited by Scented

Fresh out of coconut for now, so won't be trying that. The Pirate blend could be interesting, but out of bay rum and butterscotch to even try lol.

I have stuck some leather and cherry together; leather, rose and vanilla; and leather, chipotle salsa and lime ... to me it all stinks so we'll see which one stinks in a stomach-able way, if any of them do.

I've mixed leather and fr. vanilla, for aroma beads- a wonderful freshener for the car, haven't tried it yet in wax... leather, cherry and vanilla also sounds interesting! so many blend possibilities, so little time!

Leather and Lace - Maybe blend it with Tuscan Lace from Elements? However, Tuscan Lace is a beautiful, delicate fragrance (I don't mean weak) that the Leather may overpower it. I don't have any Leather FO (do have Suede from MW) to try this. I can send you some Tuscan Lace if you would like.

Leather and Lace - Maybe blend it with Tuscan Lace from Elements? However, Tuscan Lace is a beautiful, delicate fragrance (I don't mean weak) that the Leather may overpower it. I don't have any Leather FO (do have Suede from MW) to try this. I can send you some Tuscan Lace if you would like.

I appreciate the offer, but that is not necessary :) I just might have some of that around.

Ok mine mostly turned out earthy but I had fun....

Howdy Maam - Tobacco, Oakmoss, Black Tea, Musk

Blazing Saddles - Leather and Fireside

Rodeo: Leather + Timber(Hay) + Animalic Musk (I love this blend but for the RODE HARD name)

Rodeo: Leather, Hay, Sweetgrass

Leather and Lace - Leather, Vanilla Bean (Bourbon), touch of Neroli

Ranch Hand - Leather, clary sage, carnation, cedar, frankincense, clove

Desperado - Leather, Tobacco, Musk, touch of fireside

Big Country - Leather, Pinon, Sweet Alyssum, I have no idea what an ozone note would smell like with leather....but maybe that too.

Galloping Ghost - Leather, old rose, smoke note

Rattlesnake Roundup - Leather, Red Hot Cinnamon, Patchouli, Honey

Bronco Buster - Leather, CS Apples and Clover

Rough Rider - Leather, bay rum

Edited by Lorelei

Ok mine mostly turned out earthy but I had fun....

Howdy Maam - Tobacco, Oakmoss, Black Tea, Musk

Blazing Saddles - Leather and Fireside

Rodeo: Leather + Timber(Hay) + Animalic Musk (I love this blend but for the RODE HARD name)

Rodeo: Leather, Hay, Sweetgrass

Leather and Lace - Leather, Vanilla Bean (Bourbon), touch of Neroli

Ranch Hand - Leather, clary sage, carnation, cedar, frankincense, clove

Desperado - Leather, Tobacco, Musk, touch of fireside

Big Country - Leather, Pinon, Sweet Alyssum, I have no idea what an ozone note would smell like with leather....but maybe that too.

Galloping Ghost - Leather, old rose, smoke note

Rattlesnake Roundup - Leather, Red Hot Cinnamon, Patchouli, Honey

Bronco Buster - Leather, CS Apples and Clover

Rough Rider - Leather, bay rum

My, my, my lol! Now trust me when I say this ... nothing wrong with earthy as long as it isn't straight leather. Was glad to see someone pop some clary sage into the fire. I appreciate the listings :) Gives me some more ideas to play with.

I have only figured out a few things so far:

1) I may never run out of leather :( (hehehehe);

2) Cherry eats the devil out leather regardless ... might take a whole bottle of leather to .5 oz of cherry and this kind of scent testing I no can do;

3) Chipotle eats more than the devil out of leather and even tequila LOL! If I can ever find the right combo here of those two FOs to chipotle, I think I will have the honest-to-God worse smell in the world ever! (However before chipotle really wakes things up, just before it consumes everything, the mix I had was pretty good lol ... I would have totally hated it, but then that's no surprise.)

4) My partner doesn't find it funny that I'm looking for blends. His remark was, "Why are you doing this?" Me, "because I hate leather and want it gone"; him: "Will never happen, but we have enough right now." Me: "And I was so on a roll <insert insincere pout>."

Edited by Scented

Has anyone tried wild,wild,west fromNG. It makes me wanna gag,but my horse riding daughter loves it!!!

I bought some of it and poured it. I'm like you, I don't care much for it either but I think here in Texas it'll be popular! I can smell a leather undertone to it.