Non-Greasy Lotion Bar Recipe

Tammie

That's what I did. I melted everything, poured into a mold and let harden. They popped right out. I also tried them in the tubes and that worked well also. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I'm just trying to decide how to package them so I can figure out pricing. I love this recipe.:yay:

ok i feel stupid asking this but , do you heat the ingredients together then pour into molds?

never done this before, looks easy and just might try making it.

Not a stupid Question.

I melt my beeswax and buttas, then stir in my oils and then fo ( for this batch size which is small, I start with .5 tsp fo and work up)

I've been playing with this recipe. keeping the amounts of wax, oils, butter equal, but subbing oils and butters and have found some good combinations. I've also added some Vit E, it has great properties and always looks good on labels :)

Shea alone is greasy, but instead of kokum, you can sub mango or cocoa butter

I've found that castor and jojoba oils work great. Some people are allergic to nuts so I've taken the SAO out and use these instead.

For packaging again a preference, myself I like the .5 or .7 oz twist tubes, I don't like holding the bar in my hand. Others prefer tins or lil pots. There is no wrong way, just find what works for you and your customers.

Ok it's 5:30a.m. I don't know what I'm doing up but I'm ranting :bump:

good luck and have fun

• Like 1

Love this recipe! I use the 1 oz push up tubes from Green Girl Basics, shrink wrap those babies and they look soooo nice. Dunno if I missed this tip in here but if you are using tubes wait until your mixture is cooled but still liquid to cut down on the sinkholes in the middle.

very good point lady, sometimes you get anxious and want to pour those puppies, waiting a little longer helps the sink holes :whoohoo:

• 3 months later...

Most lotion/massage bars are too oily for me, so I was thrilled to find this thread. I'm new to making my own, and have a question: mine come out so darned white they look like plastic and not particularly pleasant. I used the white beeswax - should I use the more yellow one? I also used the deodorized cocoa butter, shea butter, and sunflower oil (my son has a nut allergy).

Most lotion/massage bars are too oily for me, so I was thrilled to find this thread. I'm new to making my own, and have a question: mine come out so darned white they look like plastic and not particularly pleasant. I used the white beeswax - should I use the more yellow one? I also used the deodorized cocoa butter, shea butter, and sunflower oil (my son has a nut allergy).

Here is a pic of a lotion bar made with the yellow beeswax, shea & mango and some other oils. I just love the color.

post-450-139458401336_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, mind you my formula isn't even close yet, but....

I ordered some tins through the co-op. They aren't here yet, and actually I doubt we'll have enough takers of the flat tins, but that is what I'm hoping to use. I've seen them in boutiques packaged that way. But those were much flatter disks than the picture above.

Bottom line... beats me! Love some ideas!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've read about people using mini muffin tins for molds (silicone one I think). The thing about the holes in the tubes is that if you pour your melted mixture in when it is too hot then you will get deep "divots" or holes in the middle of your lotion bar/stick (this is if you pour into tubes like chapstick ones - cept bigger, or deodorant type containers). To avoid this, pour when the mix is a bit cooler and/or top it off once it cools with a bit more melted mixture.

I've read about people using mini muffin tins for molds (silicone one I think). The thing about the holes in the tubes is that if you pour your melted mixture in when it is too hot then you will get deep "divots" or holes in the middle of your lotion bar/stick (this is if you pour into tubes like chapstick ones - cept bigger, or deodorant type containers). To avoid this, pour when the mix is a bit cooler and/or top it off once it cools with a bit more melted mixture.

But you can zap it closed with a touch of the heat gun lol. I get the holes no matter the temp. I may be doing something aggravatingly wrong, but these still work and perform well for me. Oh and surprisingly I haven't warped a tube yet with the heat from the gun.