Propietary Wax Blends

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Michigan and CS has been the best for me in shipping- I think Peaks is to high for me and BcN is right next door and almost double shipping - a supplier here in michigan is also way more on shipping- I don't understand why shipping can't just be shipping- it seems suppliers are trying to make money off this as well

I ordered wicks and a few samples from CW and also thought the shipping to be high- I really liked some of the samples and want to order more and would like to try this wax your talking about so hopefully they do look into the shipping charges - it can really hurt the bottom line and especially now with all oils having to go ground- no more flat rate shipping for a small order

Tracey, I put a slab each of 4625 and 4630 in my cart and at CW, 2 slabs of the comparable CBL-129.

These were my totals for 20 pounds of wax and shipping:

Peak, 626 miles from me, $49.94

CandleScience, 1086 miles from me, $55.52

Lone Star 501 miles from me, $55.72

CandleWic, 1189 miles from me, $65.64

I am unable to offer any worthwhile comments on shipping charges by CW other than you might want to contact them directly if you feel you are being overcharged. My suspicions run to an issue with their shipping calculator. I would find it difficult to believe that CW is trying to profit from shipping. As I have stated, I personally have never felt I was overcharged.

I also regret that the comments about shipping charge issues came after I had emailed Bill and he reviewed the postings in the thread and replied to me. Therefore he did not offer any comments on that subject.

Bill did, however, give me permission to copy and paste his reply about his custom blended waxes. The reply is attached. I hope this will be a satisfactory explanation for most interested members. I do suspect, however, that not all of you will be enlightened or content with the response.

For me, however, I am ready to test the prodiucts he suggested I try. As I have stated a number of times; I trust him!

JMO/HTH

Dave

QUOTE:

Dear David;

Thanks! I did read over the post and do appreciate your comments and efforts very much. The one thing we do like to protect is our custom wax formulas.

Our CBL-129 is a very popular wax and if the formula is exposed, a competitor may try and duplicate it and then "market it” as the same as CBL-129 even though it may not meet our high quality standard.

I can tell you that it is a hard petroleum wax which has some micro and other components to help with scent retention and hot and cold fragrance throw.

Comparing waxes may help customers generally know about the wax but without trying them they may be short changing our waxes.

If we state a wax is “like” IGI "such and such" and someone did not like it they may not be willing to try our propietary wax.

In terms of availability; An outage or discontinuation could be true with any supplier they use. I can assure everyone that CBL-129 and CBL-141 are our best selling blends and they are not going anywhere. I believe we can make that claim better than any of the “refiners” can.

The candle market is huge for them but not their only business. If their operation changes for some reason there is no assurance they will continue with a particular wax.

Thanks again and "happy chandlering" to you and all on the Craft Server Board!

Bill

END QUOTE:

Appreciate the update and I appreciate his not willing to compromise proprietary information. I'd not offer up much more than him if i were in the business of selling a wax I had custom blended. I am curious that he would offer the "like IGI" on some of his waxes (earlier in this thread) but not on this one but again, he is in business and that is his prerogative.

I plan to order some and see what I think. I would love nothing more than it beating all other blends I have tried. At this point, I have surmised what he may be blending and it makes sense. I will know more once I have the wax in hand and can see it, feel it and compare it to others. Like all others I have tested I will give it very fair testig against other blends that I like.

He is further away from me so I would expect shipping to be more and take longer.

Appreciate the update and I appreciate his not willing to compromise proprietary information. I'd not offer up much more than him if i were in the business of selling a wax I had custom blended. I am curious that he would offer the "like IGI" on some of his waxes (earlier in this thread) but not on this one but again, he is in business and that is his prerogative.

I plan to order some and see what I think. I would love nothing more than it beating all other blends I have tried. At this point, I have surmised what he may be blending and it makes sense. I will know more once I have the wax in hand and can see it, feel it and compare it to others. Like all others I have tested I will give it very fair testig against other blends that I like.

He is further away from me so I would expect shipping to be more and take longer.

Dear; Karen;

IMO; A very reasonable, logical and intelligent reply. I hope you untimately find what you're looking for. I hope I do too.

Dave

I also regret that the comments about shipping charge issues came after I had emailed Bill and he reviewed the postings in the thread and replied to me. Therefore he did not offer any comments on that subject.

You know, it may be one of those "meant to be" things. Now Bill is aware there appears to be a higher cost in CW's shipping than other suppliers. If I were a business owner, I'd want to know what is bothering my customers to try to fix it. If it's the calc, he can take a look at that and that would be a good thing.

CBL129 certainly is a good wax (IMO). Just did a melt yesterday (might have been day before) and it was right up there with only a few others that did that well in my testing of so many waxes and wax blends. While any opinion is subjective, 129 has been mentioned numerous times on this forum alone as being a very good wax.

The candle market is huge for them but not their only business. If their operation changes for some reason there is no assurance they will continue with a particular wax.

I also wanted to say I can see where this not only makes sense but we've seen it out there in the market where a favorite wax is discontinued. J waxes are now IGI but not all are easily accessible with at least one not available anymore.

I think I will it as well

I only tried a couple FO's so far and like them enough to try more

Pomegranate Henri brendel is good

Lemon (mixed with the pomegranate) is good

Lemon lavender I am still deciding if I like and I have a few more yet to test

Okay. You guys convinced me to try the wax. Since I will be placing an order, I would like to order some FOs. Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks!

I have only kept 2 of theirs from those that I tried. Not that they were not all strong, I am just choosing based on my personal scent preference.

-Toffee Cinnamon Apple

-Sugared Vanilla Shortbread

Thanks for the suggestions, Karen and Moonshine. I will probably try one from your suggestion

Karen, I've been using my helpful list of abbreviations and I have come across a few that aren't on the list though.

That list is old and needs updating. Let us know any you wonder about. Sometimes 2 people can be talking about the same supplier but they use different abbreviations.

That list is old and needs updating. Let us know any you wonder about. Sometimes 2 people can be talking about the same supplier but they use different abbreviations.

You're right and sometimes the abbreviation is not related to candle making.

I try to jot down the ones I come across to look up later and I have my lists scribbled everywhere

I ordered a slab of the cbl129 and I'm loving it so far but only poured 2 scents in tarts Black Raspberry Vanilla (NG) & Bedtime Bath (NG)

Now I tried both scents in KY v/t wax, 6098/4625 (50/50) TCS wax & 4625/J223 (50/50) and I got very lite HT but ct was strong. With CBL 129 I got very strong ht & ct with BRV and so far 18 hours of strong ht but is now starting to fade, BTB had a very strong ct but more of a medium ht but still nice got about the same burn time on that one too. The was is very transparent, I poured into lg clam shells from CS each square had a dip in the center but really that doesn't bother me a lot. all 6 squares fell right out with no breaking a part (I hate that) was very easy to break a square off to burn. I've been testing in a small scenty's warmer and the whole square melted. HTH

• 2 weeks later...