diffuser base percentage question

KTT

Since I'm taking a break from candle making, I've been working on other home fragrance things. I just recently made a couple of diffusers (last week). I got the base from Candlescience. The fragrance oils I used were Golden Rose, from Candlescience. The other fragrance was Clean Cotton, from Peak. I used 4 1/2 oz of base, and 1 1/2 fragrance oil (70/30). The Golden Rose is going strong, but the Clean Cotton is not. I realize that not all fragrances will work in a diffuser.

I went back to Candlescience's page to look at more fragrances for a future order, and I noticed that their reed base only takes up to 25% fragrance oil (I noticed this after I already made my diffusers). On this board, I see some say they do a 50/50 (1 part base, 1 part fragrance), and now I'm wondering about that. Do I need to find a base that will accept up to 50% fragrance oil, or are people just doing 50/50 even if the base supposedly accepts less?

I just now did a search, but I didn't find an answer.

TIA everyone :smiley2:

• 4 years later...

It really depends on the strength of the FO and what strength of aroma you want. I have a VERY strong Maple Syrup from New Directions (Canada) so I use about 75% DPL and 25% FO. and 6-8 reeds.  I give it a stir every 2 or 3 days, turn the reeds over about 4 days and put them back in the solution.  It will last about a month or longer depending on the size of the area.  For lighter FO, I add more FO depending on what room I put it in and what strength I want the fragrance.