Organic or Non-GMO soy wax

Hi, I'm completely new to candle making and am ordering my supplies to get started. I was wondering if there is a such thing as soy wax that is organic or non-GMO? I saw that Ecosoya claims to be free of GMO material but then I read deeper and saw that they just meant that the oil has been stripped from the pesticides and genetic material and that they are affiliated with a biotech farming organization. I'm having trouble finding a supplier that doesn't use GMO soy and was wondering if anyone else has found one? Thanks!

Nobody? :sad2: I see a lot of companies online claiming to make their soy candles out of 100% non-GMO or organic soy wax and have written to them but don't think they're going to share which wax they use (haven't had any replies in a week). If there is a wax I'd like to order it ASAP, otherwise I'm going to have to rethink using soy because I personally don't like the idea of GMO farming (it scares me lol) and would rather support a conventional or organic grower if possible. This isn't for marketing purposes, just my own concerns. Any suggestions on how to find this secret supplier? I understand that about 98% of our soybeans are GMO but it seems like there's someone in the 2% selling wax. I really don't want to give up the idea of making soy candles, I love them.

This is from the Candlescience website:

Question:

Are there any organic or non-GMO soy waxes?

Answer:

The short answer is no. Only a very small percentage of the total US production of soy wax is organic. About 98% of the soybean harvest has been either genetically modified (GMO) or non-GMO mixed in with GMO soybeans. All of the soy wax in the US is made by just four companies, and none of them currently process organic soy oil into candle wax at this time.

We will carry certifiably organic non-GMO soy wax if and when it becomes available.

This is odd- NGI says Ecosoya is not GMO free, but Brambleberry says it is. ?

BB:

A few more reasons to use EcoSoya Waxes:

• EcoSoya waxes are made using soy beans exclusively from U.S. farmers.
  • Soy is a renewable resource and environmentally friendly.
  • EcoSoya wax does not stain.
  • All EcoSoya waxes are Kosher Certified.
  • GMO Free!

NGI-

Are your beans organic or Non-GMO?

We would like to use soybeans that are strictly organic or non-GMO but due to supply issues we can't guarantee it. We do guarantee that our waxes themselves do not contain any pesticides, herbicides, or genetically modified material. During manufacturing, the waxes are cleaned of any of these items if present, resulting in a very clean and green product.

Having worked in the Ag business I can tell you that most farmers are using GMO and it all gets mixed together as the crops are collected. Unless the soy is sourced from a particular grower (which I doubt), the odds are in favor that your wax will be derived from GMO soy. Since we are not eating the resulting wax I don't see an issue but if you just hate Monsanto and GMOs then that's another story. Nothing about candles are "green" whether they are paraffin or veggie, so using non-GMO doesn't address that issue.

• Like 1

When I searched last night, having never thought about this issue before.... I was shocked as to how many chandlers are claiming their soy candles are non-GMO. I saw "locally grown, non-GMO soy" over & over, lol.

What the heck does "locally grown" mean? How many local folks have the equipment to press soybeans and extract the oil and then hydrogenate it to turn it into wax? People will say anything to sell something. No wonder paraffin isn't sold the same way, "made from domestic petroleum from oil wells in the Great State of Texas". Buyer beware.

I found this article answering the question "is it possible to have Organic soy candles?"

http://www.pureattitudecosmetics.com/candles/organic-soy-candles-wax.html

Just ran across this site when I googled "non-gmo soy candles". They claim:

About Our Candle Wax

Our Pure Soy Wax, Free of GMO's

Our soy candles are environmentally friendly, 100% sustainable and made from soybeans grown in the US. Tested by the manufacturer, who states the soy wax we source does not contain any GMO's (Genetically Modified Materials), our soy wax is 100% vegetable with no by-products added. It is not a soy blend.

After much research into soy wax, we are very proud to say that our soy wax is 100% sustainable, 100% biodegradable, and made with soybeans grown in the US, supporting our farmers. It is tested to ensure the wax is free of GMO's and Pesticides (for a copy of the testing please contact me). We do not add chemical additives other than fragrance when ordered scented. Our pure soy candles are not made from wax blended with other waxes.

Yep, those are the kind of claims that had me really believing there are non-GMO waxes out there when I started ordering supplies. And Ecosoya stating that they're "kosher certified" gave me more reason to believe that they're non-GMO, until I became curious as to what kosher actually means and came across articles that said they are trying hard to exclude GMOs from meeting kosher standards but it's hard to know what is GMO and what isn't due to lack of labeling, so certified kosher doesn't mean anything when it comes to GMOs right now.

I always knew that actual candles couldn't possibly be organic, but assumed that those who claimed it meant that they have been made from organic soybeans which made up most of the candle. I thought that "all natural soy" meant a bean from mother nature, not developed by Monsanto. I thought if it said "GMO-free" it must not be GE or else the oil in turn would be GMO. There's been so much green-washing by people who seemed to be knowledgeable of these issues that I thought I was actually buying a non-GMO soy candle all these years.

I don't really know where to go from here and feel like someone popped my balloon. I am for the most part a "green" person, but wanting GMO-free wax wasn't to market a green product, I was just excited to create beautiful, creamy, delicious smelling candles using a sustainable wax that could also benefit farmers who don't use GMOs as so many others claimed they were doing. I don't know if I "hate" Monsanto, but I personally feel that they are jeopardizing our health, land and future for the sake of power and profit and have been boycotting whenever possible. While burning a soy candle doesn't carry the same threat of ingesting GMO food, I have to figure out if I feel like I'm still supporting GE by making soy candles, or if I should think "if I can't beat 'em, burn 'em" and that it's less GM soy in our food. I don't want to be an extremist but don't want to be a hypocrite either I guess is what it comes down to.

Sorry I'm rambling and thinking out loud. Maybe I should just explore other waxes but they haven't really appealed to me as much as soy before. And beeswax seems expensive.

Here's another fun fact for you, the oil (petroleum) that comes from the ground is a natural product. We didn't make it, we just harvest and refine it. It also 100% GMO free. Soy beans can cause deforestation, the use of pesticides, the use of synthetic fertilizers, soil salinization due to irrigation, soil destruction due to modern mechanized farming techniques and probably other items but you get my point. I'm not sure soy is grown "Organic" in enough abundance to supply all the the food and non-food demand. While it may be true that soy wax is sourced from US farmers, we still import and lot of soy that is not from organic farmers or produced in a sustainable manner. And, what happens to the soy meal after the oil is removed? Animal feed or is it treated with hexane for the extraction of soy protein?

It is not as simple as some people would lead you to believe.

In the end, buy a quality soy wax and make candles that make you happy. You are not destroying the world but you are not saving it either.

This is one of those things that might be "technically true". But in reality it's lying by omission.

I have had that question come up before with customers regarding our blends. My cursory research (don't take my word for it) revealed the following quote:

There is really no such thing as GMO free soy oil/hydrogenated soy in the US. There are claims that there is a little bit of GMO free material grown for baby formula, be even this is questionable. When it comes to soy for both human consumption and industrial applications, the supply chain consists of GMO material. Europe and Asia are in this basket as well./I] I can't remember where I found it - but I felt it was good enough to pass along.

Second and perhaps more important is the GMO test itself. The test looks for genetically modified proteins. Since there are no proteins in the oil, there isn't any GMO material that would show up. The test identifies GMO proteins found in the soy meal. So, any soy wax could "pass the test" for GMO - There is no test designed for soybean oil/wax. So as stated before, paraffin waxes will also pass the GMO test - but is that meaningful?

I have told many customers the same thing - there are NO label claim restrictions on candles - a person can claim whatever they chose. I believe most people do the right thing - you need to decide what to do and be able to sleep at night.

Hope that helps...

What the heck does "locally grown" mean? How many local folks have the equipment to press soybeans and extract the oil and then hydrogenate it to turn it into wax? People will say anything to sell something. No wonder paraffin isn't sold the same way, "made from domestic petroleum from oil wells in the Great State of Texas". Buyer beware.

:laugh2:Oh, I so agree with you! Think I can borrow that line for my paraffin candles and tarts? Has quite the ring to it: "Made from domestic petroleum from the naturally drilled oil wells of Texas"... yeah, I just may use this one :laugh2:

Thanks, rjdaines!

Very insightful information and thank you for the suggestions! Still trying to figure out my feelings on all of this.

Second and perhaps more important is the GMO test itself. The test looks for genetically modified proteins. Since there are no proteins in the oil, there isn't any GMO material that would show up. The test identifies GMO proteins found in the soy meal. So, any soy wax could "pass the test" for GMO - There is no test designed for soybean oil/wax.

That answered my question as to how GE soy oil could be GMO-free! Wow. Why do they even bother testing knowing there won't be any proteins in there to test? It's like when my daughter was diagnosed with food allergies, I did a ton of research (that's actually how I found out about GMOs since they're thought to be causing more food allergies) and allergists believe that it's the food's proteins that are allergenic which is why soy and peanut oil are considered safe for those with soy and peanut allergies. Well, there are a lot of allergic people who still react to the oil but they were dangerously misinformed because of lack of knowledge and testing, there are still a lot of unknowns yet they feel comfortable giving answers. I went through a period of mystery hives with my daughter and the allergist couldn't figure it out because they could only test for proteins and they didn't have a test for what I was suspicious of (annatto extract used as a natural coloring in her "safe" cheese and yogurt). He thought the extract wouldn't contain proteins so that couldn't be it, but after I cut it out of her diet she stopped reacting. Point being, whether it's allergens or GMOs or whatever else, if there is an important enough reason why people care if something is present in a product, there shouldn't be an answer unless it is a clear fact. Just because science pointed to a protein theory doesn't mean all other components are "clean", and oils shouldn't be labeled free of anything if they don't have a test for it, chances are something is there. And I swear I get more truthful and helpful information from forums than I do from "experts" when it comes to anything anymore LOL! Rant over.

Sorry for my last post, it was cut off by my battery dying and I didn't realize it posted. I was on my tablet and must have touched submit before it turned off. Just disregard that little tangent lol, I guess the food allergies are why I'm sensitive to misleading labels, it is a big stress of mine.

Anyways, one of the companies I emailed last week wrote back and told me that I can find the organic wax at accu-blend.com. I'm trying to figure out what this wax is, it just says Accu-Veggie #44 Organic Container wax. Has anyone used or heard of it? They don't list what is in it but looking at the MSDS sheet it looks like it could be a parasoy blend? Am I reading this right? http://www.accu-blend.com/PDF%20Files/all_nat-organic_msds.pdf

Thanks again for the help!

I see the word "paraffin" over and over on that MSDS. But "paraffin" has two meanings. Chandlers use the word to refer to petroleum derivative waxes. In chemistry, the word has a more general meaning. It is a fully hydrogenated carbon chain (which is what soy wax is). Usually the word "alkane" is used now to refer to fully hydrogenated carbon chains, but sometimes I do see paraffin used in this way.

I see the word "paraffin" over and over on that MSDS. But "paraffin" has two meanings. Chandlers use the word to refer to petroleum derivative waxes. In chemistry, the word has a more general meaning. It is a fully hydrogenated carbon chain (which is what soy wax is). Usually the word "alkane" is used now to refer to fully hydrogenated carbon chains, but sometimes I do see paraffin used in this way.

All true but what we really mean is paraffin wax, around here the "wax" is implied when we type paraffin. It is also true that both paraffin wax and soy wax are fully hydrogenated oils, the exact chemical structure of the two waxes is most likely different.

Rjdaines: yes I am aware of what chandlers mean when they say paraffin, and that is what my post says in the second sentence. I was specifically responding to the post and link directly above mine, and I should have said that. Sorry, my bad. I am a chemist, btw.

Rjdaines: yes I am aware of what chandlers mean when they say paraffin, and that is what my post says in the second sentence. I was specifically responding to the post and link directly above mine, and I should have said that. Sorry, my bad. I am a chemist, btw.

I'm a cell biologist/molecular biologist btw

I understood what Camay was saying. The meaning of paraffin on an MSDS is good to know, thank you. But on this particular sheet when they say "paraffin wax" instead of just "paraffin" how would you interpret it? Would they still label it that way for any wax or does that mean paraffin type wax? Also there is a sentence under Health Data that says "Petroleum waxes studied were not found to be carcinogenic..." which made me think that paraffin type wax is included in this particular product, but I'm not extremely familiar with MSDS forms and if this is included as general information for any wax sheet, or only on the petroleum derived ones? I'm just trying to figure out how "organic" this wax really is and what's in it, and don't want to just rely on AccuBlend's answer since they're the ones advertising and selling it. If this is a parasoy blend then I don't think it meets my standards of "organic" and won't assume that the soy was organically grown, it's probably GMO also. I might as well go with any other soy wax then.

I emailed Pure Attitude Cosmetics about the testing as she claimed was available on her website. Shockingly, she responded! She said she had trouble getting the report and has removed the claim from her website but here is what she sent me this morning. I'll re-type it since I can't figure out how to show the document here, lol. It's from Eurofins GeneScan Inc.

Customer: Nature's Gift International

Date Received: 1/18/10

Report Date: 1/21/10

Description: EcoSoya CB-Xcel

Lab Number: CF09499

Commodity: Soy Wax

Analysis: PCR Qualitative CaMV 35S promoter

Result: Negative

The target of the PCR analysis is a DNA sequence which is characteristic of various commercialized transgenic crops (GMOs), including Roundup Ready soybeans GTS 40-3-2. The 35S promoter DNA sequence was not detected in the sample.