Scenting wicks?

I ran across some odd directions of options for scenting candles. I've heard of people adding potpourri oil to the melt pool before, but never dipping the wick before making the candle...

SCENT

1. None.

2. Smelly as it sits. Mix with wax just before pouring (else you cook it away). Too much scent softens the wax, makes soggy pockets inside the candle. At most 1-3% by weight; four one ounce bottles maximum per 10 pounds of wax.

3. Smelly as it burns. Either eyedrop scent into the pool of the candle as it burns. Or soak the wick briefly in scent before dipping it in wax. No scent until the candle it lit.

4. Smelly/smelly. #2 and #3 together.

Where did u get that????

whoever wrote it has nooo clue....sorry I don't mean to sound negitive...

addin scent to a melt pool is somewhat wrong cause you can mess with the burning of the candles and over load the candle..scenting the wic is just dum...snap,crackle, pop..may cause Big flame...

4oz. of scent per 10 pounds of wax.....sorry but whever wrote that hassss nooo clue about candle making...1oz. per pound is going rate....

wowowowwow...

Tara

Flame suit on:

To each his/her own. :smiley2:

I have been scenting my wicks ever since day one in 1999 and NEVER have had a problem. No big flame, no snap, crackle and pop.

I purchase my wick raw so I can tab my own and scent the wick before priming it. Lots of candle makers out there do it. It's not as uncommon as you think. :grin2:

Flame suit on:

To each his/her own. :smiley2:

I have been scenting my wicks ever since day one in 1999 and NEVER have had a problem. No big flame, no snap, crackle and pop.

I purchase my wick raw so I can tab my own and scent the wick before priming it. Lots of candle makers out there do it. It's not as uncommon as you think. :grin2:

Really? I've never heard of it...

Do you not scent the wax? Or do both? If it's just the wick, how much scent could that put out?

I have heard of it. Never tried it since i make too many candles to mess with doing it. They say it works though. I would think that doing tapers would be a great idea since its hard to get a taper to throw well. Thanks for reminding us about this idea, I want to start playing with tapers soon and will give this a try. Bruce

I ran across some odd directions of options for scenting candles. I've heard of people adding potpourri oil to the melt pool before, but never dipping the wick before making the candle...

That is the scariest part of the whole thing. Dipping wicks - yes, heard of it, but pouring oil DIRECTLY in the MP? (mind you, it says POTPOURRI oil... :rolleyes2) I suppose makes for a fun activity to try.. kind of like fireworks. But never to reccomend to a customer.

That is the scariest part of the whole thing. Dipping wicks - yes, heard of it, but pouring oil DIRECTLY in the MP? (mind you, it says POTPOURRI oil... :rolleyes2) I suppose makes for a fun activity to try.. kind of like fireworks. But never to reccomend to a customer.

Yeah, it's a neighbor of mine who told me she did that often. To which I not only recommened she not, I told her all bets were off and I no longer guaranteed the burn of my candles she had just bought. We both agreed that mine are strong enough that she shouldn't need to do that to them. Judging from my reaction, she probably wont tell me even if she does anyway.

Now, thinking back, I remember doing myself once or twice years ago. I couldn't tell any difference in scent strength so I didn't bother again. No flare up, no extra scent, nothing memorable happened.