Emma Jar at Wallyworld

Those are nice! I like the cracker & montana jars too! How do you find the prices?

If you click "Shop Now" by the little shopping cart, and then enter "emma jar" in the search bar, the jars come up with the prices. They're cheaper at Wallyworld. http://anchorhocking.oneida.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=emma+jar

Wallyworld has the cracker jars too.

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Look what I just found! Anchor Hocking has the Emma Jars with silver lids! They're pretty: http://www.anchorhocking.com/prodd_4297_cat_266_emma_jars.html

And Anchor Hocking has Free Shipping on orders over $99.00!

OH! NO!

It's HIM again!

Sorry, but I have to ask;

What type of closure does the lid provide? I wonder how tight fitting it is? There appears to be no threads on the jar, so my guess is that there would be some sort of plastic in the lid that expands and contracts a bit to allow the jid to attach. It might also have a tempered metal spring-type band.

I've been in the YC shop in Williamsburg, VA. and watched (actually heard) several jars crash to the floor and break, because REAL MORONS picked them up by the lids rather than by the jar while supporting them with their free hand.

I'd hate for two nice women like you to commit to cases of containers that you might regret buying.

If you decide the Emma jar is for you, I wonder if AH will allow a sample purchase or tell you where you might be able to see one up close and personal?

JMO

Curious Dave

PS: I never pour wax in a room that is not at least 75%F. I prefer 80%F, but my DW would leave me stranded and all alone, if I would try to heat things up a bit! She can literally be a frigid b**** sometimes. She likes to blame it on menopause. I tell her it's mentalpause. Menopause only last's for a limited period. Mentalpause last's a lifetime!

Thanks, Does the cracker jar look like the emma jar without the arch to you? I could do without that.

I can't see it very well, I think it might have lines that would make it difficult to fill also.

The cracker jars don't have arches. I've always thought they were cute: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hocking-Cracker-Jar-with-Lid/16520333

Peak has both the 8 oz and the 16 oz cracker jars: http://www.peakcandle.com/products/8-oz--Cracker-Jar-w-Lid-%2824CASE%29__C1062.aspx

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/16-oz-Cracker-Jar-w-Lid-%286case%29__C1063.aspx

Maybe the cracker jars would be easier to wick because the wide mouth might allow triple wicking. Well, heck, should we run over to Wallyworld and buy 16 oz cracker jars to test now too? :laugh2:Oh, wait, the one's at Wallyworld are 6.75 inches wide, but the ones from Peak are smaller, only 4" wide and they have a classier lid. Maybe the quart size one at Wallyworld is only 4" wide, I'll have to check next time I'm there.

Ooh! Look how cute they are filled with wax and labeled! http://www.shop.stonefirecandles.com/Cracker-Jar-Container-Candles_c3.htm

And here's the 8 oz ones filled with wax: http://www.soyscentual.net/images/Cracker%20Jar%20Soy%20Candle_LRG.png

Edited by HorsescentS

Oooohhh stop! Now I want to try them all! After looking at you'r e links I'm soooo confused.

Ok Dave, I'm with your wife on the heat! I'll put a blanket on the jars before I turn up the heat.

No I wouldn't order anything without trying 1st. The metals lids have a plastic liner that grips onto rim of jars.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Oooohhh stop! Now I want to try them all!

Ok Dave, I'm with your wife on the heat! I'll put a blanket on the jars before I turn up the heat.

No I wouldn't order anything without trying 1st. The metals lids have a plastic liner that grips onto rim of jars.

You don't have to turn up the heat in your whole house, just use a space heater to heat your candle-cooling room to about 80 degrees.

I'm wondering if your super-cool house temperature is making your wick testing more of a challenge too.

Oooohhh stop! Now I want to try them all!

COOL! literally; COOL!

Interesting! I just found this comment about double wicking 4627 on an old Candletech thread:

"Hmmmmmm......... well, to add to the confusion on wicks for Comfort Blend, I use the HTPs; but am open to testing other wicks being used by Comfort Blenders.

"I am double wicking 16 oz. and 26 oz. apoths (4" diam) with HTP 93s and HTP 104s, depending on how heavy the FOs are." http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1098078988

It's actually good, the house is very well constructed. There is no candlemaking room anymore, unfortunately! It's all one big, happy fricking room. Except for loft upstairs & can't use downstairs bedrooms. I moved 7 weeks ago, so no, wicking has been an ongoing problem even during the summer months.

I'll start with HTP93s on that apothecary jar I poured. I wonder if that's what we'll need in the Emma.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

At 9:00 PM it had been 48 hours since I'd poured, so even though I'm not going to start my real testing until you start yours, I decided to test my 1/2 full DT Status jar with an HTP 104, since I had already tested the 105 and 1212 on our old thread about that jar. I figured that if I got a FMP on the first burn session, since it's only half full, and if it didn't make the jar too hot, I'd test my full DT Status jar with the HTP 104. It's working perfect! Yay! It cleaned the sides and got an FMP during the last hour, and the FMP is about 3/8".

I've got it burning in a medium 450 square foot room where I'm watching TV with the door closed and the ceiling fan on low, and the HT is very strong. I didn't realize how strong it was until I left the room and came back in. When my daughter came over I asked her to stick her head in the room and give me her honest opinion. She likes strong candles and she told me not to change it at all, don't make it any stronger or less strong, and she liked the scent. I'm impressed that a 6% load of Mulberry Madness has such a strong HT! In fact, it's much stronger than when I used that same FO at 8% because it tied up the HT when I used too much. Well, I'm so glad I'm past the newbie stage of always using too much FO, FINALLY!!! :grin2:

Now I'm thinking that the 10 oz Emma Jar is the same diameter as the DT Status jar except for the corners that stick out 1/2" further, and it's got a shoulder on it to create a heat sink so the wick doesn't have to do all the work, so I'm thinking of testing the HTP 104 in that jar first. I think the HTP 105 would be too hot.

Edited by HorsescentS

At 11am it'll be 48hours! I'll start with the 104 in one of the status jars. Don't know if I'm past the stage of using too much FO, I hope but......

I hope the 104 does work in the 10oz, singlewicking would look alot better then dbl to me.

Did you try Peaks Mullberry yet? Should we take pics of the jars to compare?

At 11am it'll be 48hours! I'll start with the 104 in one of the status jars. Don't know if I'm past the stage of using too much FO, I hope but......

I hope the 104 does work in the 10oz, singlewicking would look alot better then dbl to me.

Did you try Peaks Mullberry yet? Should we take pics of the jars to compare?

Yes, I've tried Peak's Mulberry and it was a dud for me, no HT, but I used more than 6% so maybe I tied up the HT. Have you tried Peak's Mulberry? How did you like it?

Your status jars are more full than mine, I only filled it to 3/4" below the rim so the jar could trap some of the heat and help melt the top. So the 104 might struggle in the top 1/2" of your wax, but then it should work well.

Yeah, I don't think the 10 oz Emma is big enough to handle two wicks, even the smallest wicks might overheat it because the mouth is pretty small.

I want to post pics but I have to wait for my daughter to get off work and take the pics with her iPhone and upload them for me, because my camera is not here. Hopefully she'll have time to do that for me today.

I'll start my 10 oz Emma this morning too. What time zone are you in? I can try to start mine at the same time you start yours. Since the side-to-side measurement is 3" but the corner-to-corner measurement is 4" should we make our burn sessions 4 hours long? or 3-1/2 hrs?

Edited by HorsescentS

Eastern time zone, you're up early. I did try Peaks Mullberry but mixed it with something else so I don't know.

I started 104 at 1/2 long wick, it sure looks beautiful on the 1st burn, curled over perfectly.

4 hours & hope & pray it works!

Which jar are you testing with HTP 104 right now? the 10 oz Emma?

12oz status, not happy with HT or CT of MWs Sugar Cookie Royale at 6%, I do like that one at 8%. If the 104 works by leaving the wick longer I'll try a higher %.

Wait, we have HT! Mom said what smells like chocolate, close enough I guess. The ceiling is 2nd floor high so that's really good!

Edited by ChandlerWicks

12oz status, not happy with HT or CT of MWs Sugar Cookie Royale at 6%, I do like that one at 8%. If the 104 works by leaving the wick longer I'll try a higher %.

Wait, we have HT! Mom said what smells like chocolate, close enough I guess. The ceiling is 2nd floor high so that's really good!

Yeah, I noticed it took my 6% candle last night about 30 minutes before I noticed the HT. That's how long it used to take with 6006. I'm so glad you got HT! It will get strong as your wax level drops down into the jar so the glass can trap the heat and keep your MP hotter.

I just started my 10 oz Emma with HTP 104, so I'll burn it for 4 hours if everything goes well. The Emma looks stunning with a flame burning in it! Wow! The facets on the shoulder are making a pretty pattern on the wall in this darkened room. (The sun is not up yet.)

Since you're burning your Status I'll burn my full status jar now too, but I'll only burn it for 3 hours since it's only 3" dia. I'll wait until the Emma's finished the first hour of testing and then start the status so they'll both be burning for the final three hours.

Edited by HorsescentS

I can't believe how well the wick is burning being left longer. Did I read it self-trims on the 2nd burn & every burn after that. My wicks have never self-trimmed.

I'll start the 10oz emma with a 104 also. Did you make all with the same FO?

Yes, the HTP's will self trim for you on every burn after that, so don't trim them or they'll be too short and drown, just let them self trim from now on.

Yes, I made them all with 6% of Cajun's Mulberry Madness.

I should have poured my Emma jar 1/4" in fuller to the point where the straight corner bends into the shoulder, which is just below the top of the little arch on the corner. (I had some shrinkage) So if I get a FMP on this burn, it's okay because the level of the wax is where it would be on the 3rd or 4th burn if I had filled the jar 1/4" fuller.

Ok, sounds good, Thanks!

How is the 104 doing?

The 104 is doing good so far. The HT from this Emma jar is awesome! I'm hoping for a FMP during the 3rd or 4th hour of this test, since the wax level is lower than what I should have started with. Since your jar is more full, I'm interested in hearing your results.

Edited by HorsescentS

The wick & wax doesn't look as good as the status did, think filling to the arch is too high. It started to have a sinkhole right away, but cleared up within 10 minutes. we shall see!

I hope it works, but if it gets too frustrating you might have to take a spoon and remove some wax until you get down to the level where the straight part on the corner bends into the curve, then smooth out the top with your heat gun or stick it under the broiler coil for a minute or two...not the safest idea but I watch it like a hawk when I use the broiler method.

I just started my full status with the 104. I filled it to 3/4" below the rim.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25713[/ATTACH] HTP104 6% Sugar Cookie Royale after 1st 3 hour burn.

Your candle looks good considering it's pretty full. If the wax level was about 1/2" lower you might have only 1/4" hangup all the way around. I think it's too soon to give up on the HTP 104, but what do you think? How was the HT?

I just finished my first burn session. My DT Status jar has 1/2" hangup on the side the wick is curling away from, and 1/16" hangup on the side that the wick is curling towards, so if I had anchored the wick to the bottom of the jar and twisted it about 4 times I'd have about 1/4" hangup all the way around. Since I only filled my jar to within 3/4" of the rim, and since my test on my half-full jar last night proved it will get a FMP at the halfway point, I'll give it until the 3rd burn session...or maybe 4th, to get a FMP. I liked HTP 105 in that jar with a higher FO load, but I'm thinking it might get a little too hot in the bottom 3rd of the jar...not sure though. Root Candles get really hot, and they're fine, so sometimes I think we're a little too picky about our hotness. The Nat'l Candle Association says what the maximum temperature of the glass should be, but I've forgotten exactly what it is. Is it 140 degrees?

The 10 oz Emma jar has about 1/16" hangup on the straight sides and 1/4" to 1/2" in the corners, but it's still too soon to give up on the HTP 104. The wax level is 1/8" below the point where the straight side of the corner meets the curve of the shoulder. I'm thinking it might take the HTP 105 or double wicking with HTP 41's. But, time will tell.

I'm going to run to the P.O. box to see if the smaller wicks you sent are there, then we can try the 20 oz Emma jars. :P

Edited by HorsescentS

I poured 3 identical jars of the SCR so I'll keep the 104 in until the bitter end, I burn separately to check for HT. Ht was good, went all the way up into bathroom at the back of my bedroom loft, so great actually.

Maybe with less FO the 105 won't get the jar as hot, we'll see, I'll burn sometime today.

I'm thinking 126 in the big apothecary I poured. Hopefully they'll be there today. Here's the pics of 10oz Emma with True Lavendar 6% & 104 after 1st 4 hour burn. The flame is not as nice as the status jar.

post-13614-139458508121_thumb.jpg

pencil.png

pencil.png

post-13614-139458508108_thumb.jpg

post-13614-139458508113_thumb.jpg

post-13614-139458508118_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChandlerWicks