Emma Jar at Wallyworld

Which HTPs do you have?

I'm so glad you talked to them, Thanks! Now we have a starting point. I'll think about where I'm going to fill the jar, whether to the arches or corners.

Would the shoulders & neck make a single wick work better further down?

My smallest HTP wick is 83. I have 83, 93, 104, 105, 1212, and 126.

Yes, shoulders do help single wicks burn better further down. I don't know if the shoulders on Emma would be enough help for single wicking with HTP 126, though. I'm dubious.

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll also send HTPXL100 & 1312, just in case.

Oh, wow! Thank you so very, very much! :yay: I had no idea you had those really big sizes too! Wow! :thumbsup: This is awesome!

P.S. I just used this candle wax calculator, and I'm going to use aprox 14.5 oz of wax in the 20 oz jar. http://www.candletech.com/calculator/container.php?fst_num=11.6&snd_num=28.4&ans_num=14.53

If you decide to fill to the top of the arches, you'll use aprox 18.25 oz of wax.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks that makes it easier! The HTPXL100 are from the precision sample pack they sent. The rest are from CS. :highfive:

Have you tried those really big wicks before? I wonder if they'll smoke a lot.

I'm going to pour the 10 oz and 20 oz jars today so I'll be ready to start testing on Saturday afternoon, or maybe I'll wait 36 hours and start on Sunday afternoon, because I want to make sure the wax hardens up enough to give accurate results, and the 20 oz jar is big so it might take longer to harden up good. But if we're not both ready to start over the weekend, that's okay because it might be good to wait a week or so.

Edited by HorsescentS

I did try bigger wicks, the flame gets out of control. But I never tried with just 6% FO.

Either Sat. or Sun. is good for me. Mon. might be better, it's a little dreary here if that affects the hardening.

It's dreary hear too, I don't know if that affects the hardening or not. Hmm....

I just Googled "wicking the Emma jar?" and there's not much, but I did find someone who was using EL container soy wax with 6% FO load in the 10 oz Emma jar with a CDN 20 wick. They said they would not need to wick up or down, so it was the right size.

Are the CDN's sized the same as CD wicks? If so, I looked at that chart that compares the size of HTP and CD wicks, and I think the CD 20 is equivalent to the HTP 1212. Does that sound right?

I know EL wax is soy, and our 4627 is very viscous like soy, and I've noticed the wicking is often the same for 4627 and parasoy, so I'm thinking of trying the HTP 1212 in the 10 oz Emma jar first. If it forms a FMP before the 3rd burn, I'll wick down. I'd rather do that than have to deal with a deep tunnel caused by a too-small wick.

The 10 oz jar is 4" wide, so I'm wondering if it would get too hot in there if we tried to double wick with really small wicks.

Edited by HorsescentS

Hmmm, I have El Soy, I don't really want to use because it's so much more expensive then 415. it probably wouldn't work for me anyway. LOL

Yes I think they are the same size, just different coatings. HTP126 has the same ROC as CD20, looks a little closer then the 1212. Has a smaller flame then CD20, but bigger MP.

I like to start with a bigger wick also.

The glass seems to be thick so maybe doublewicking will work better, then say in a status jar, where th glass is thinner.

Hmmm, I have El Soy, I don't really want to use because it's so much more expensive then 415. it probably wouldn't work for me anyway. LOL

Yes I think they are the same size, just different coatings. HTP126 has the same ROC as CD20, looks a little closer then the 1212. Has a smaller flame then CD20, but bigger MP.

I like to start with a bigger wick also.

The glass seems to be thick so maybe doublewicking will work better, then say in a status jar, where th glass is thinner.

I think double wicking is the way to go on both the 10 oz and the 20 oz jar. I was just reading about double wicking on CS and they recommend it for jars of 4" or more, especially if the jar is a rectangle or square because they said you might not be able to get a FMP in those shapes with a single wick. The 10 oz jar is 4" wide. But, we can still try single wicking. http://www.candlescience.com/faq/42/candle-making/should-i-double-wick-my-candles/

Edited by HorsescentS

Do you want to start with 2 HTP41s or start big? I'm thinking the thickness of the glass might work with a single wick if we find the right one. Either way is good with me.

Are you talking about the 10 oz or the 20 oz jar? Peak's recommended 2 HTP 52's for the 20 oz jar. I'm not sure how small we'd need to go for the 10 oz jar, but do you think 2 HTP 41's would be good in the 10 oz?

I should measure those jars.

Edited by HorsescentS

2 41s in the 10oz & try single wicking 20oz?

The 41s will probably drown but we gotta start somewhere.

I just measured both jars. The 10 oz is 3" on the inside, 3-1/4" on the outside, and 4" corner to corner. The 20 oz is 3-1/2" on the inside, 3-3/4" on the outside, and 4-1/2" corner to corner.

We could try single wicking the 10 oz with 1212, or double wicking with 41's.

The 20 oz jar, we could try double wicking with 52's or 63's or 73's. I'm not sure it's possible to get those corners melted with a single wick since the corners are 4-1/2" apart.

But, we could try to single wick the 20 oz anyway with 126 or bigger. (For me 126 tests bigger than 1212 in 4627.)

Edited by HorsescentS

We'll have a few HTP72's also from Precision Wicks to add more madness!

It's hard to decide where to start, I'm totally confused now. I know that with 4627 you usually have to wick up two wick sizes more than what the chart says, but I don't know if that applies to double wicking or not. I'm thinking of starting the 10 oz jar with two 62's and see what happens.

Edited by HorsescentS

Too bad we don't have the same FO to use, so we do everything the same to compare.

True, but I think it's also interesting to see what happens when we use different FO's, because if we both use 6% the results should be similar. What FO were you planning to use? Are you going to dye your wax?

Too bad we don't have the same FO to use, so we do everything the same to compare.

P.S. Do you have any Cajun FO's? The owner told me all their FO's would use the same wick at 6%, and they used to have one or two that needed to be wicked up, but those were discontinued.

I don't know if you've seen my two previous messages yet, but here's another one. lol

I poured 2 lbs of wax with 2 oz of Cajun's Mulberry Madness and 12 drops of burgundy die, the intensely colored soy die. So, I filled the 10 oz and 20 oz Emma Jars and 1-1/2 Dollar Tree Status jars.

Do you want to test a DT Status jar with me too? I didn't wick them yet, I'm going to poke holes with a skewer. I had completely forgotten about our thread where we tested 4627 in the DT Status jars until I found it again on search just now. I think since we're using a lower FO load we might be happy with the HTP 104 this time, or 105 at the biggest.

Edited by HorsescentS

I'm bad, I got busy yesterday working. I'll let you know later what I pour. I do have a few Cajun's from the classies, but I think i want to go with something i know has HT. Just read your 2nd post, maybe I will try one of theirs.

Yep, I'll pour enough to make 2 status jars also. I'll try 105 & 1212 with only 6% to see which is better. In every similar jar I've tested

with 104, 105 the wick gets smaller as the burn progresses. If 1212 will behave with 6% that's the one for me.

I'll try dye again, but it's always messed up wicking. which brand of dye are you using?

I'm bad, I got busy yesterday working. I'll let you know later what I pour. I do have a few Cajun's from the classies, but I think i want to go with something i know has HT. Just read your 2nd post, maybe I will try one of theirs.

Yep, I'll pour enough to make 2 status jars also. I'll try 105 & 1212 with only 6% to see which is better. In every similar jar I've tested

with 104, 105 the wick gets smaller as the burn progresses. If 1212 will behave with 6% that's the one for me.

I'll try dye again, but it's always messed up wicking. which brand of dye are you using?

No hurry, CW. :grin2: Maybe dye won't mess up your wicking this time because we're going to wait at least 48 hours, or more, to let the wax really harden up good.

On our old thread about the DT Status jar, "Wicking 4627 Comfort Blend in the Dollar Tree Status Jar," I can't remember which size wick you tried in your red candle, but I tried both the 1212 and the 105 with no dye. The 105 worked the best, but the 1212 was too hot and even scorched the top of the wax. I was thinking of trying 104 and 105 this time. I think you tried 105. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?104715-Wicking-4627-Comfort-Blend-in-Dollar-Tree-status-jar&highlight=wicking+4627+in+the+dollar+tree+status

I don't know what brand of liquid dye my burgundy is because the chandler I bought it from wouldn't tell me, because she was retailing it.

Edited by HorsescentS

Getting started now, trying to figure out how to warm PP because I threw away messy hot plate in Ohio. I don't want to use doubleboiler at all, I want to stay away from stove if I can. This new kitchen is beautiful & don't want to mess it up. Maybe cake pan with tinfoil & put PP in oven to warm? Ugh!

I might make 3 status jars & try all 3 wicks, 104, 105 & 1212.

Getting started now, trying to figure out how to warm PP because I threw away messy hot plate in Ohio. I don't want to use doubleboiler at all, I want to stay away from stove if I can. This new kitchen is beautiful & don't want to mess it up. Maybe cake pan with tinfoil & put PP in oven to warm? Ugh!

I might make 3 status jars & try all 3 wicks, 104, 105 & 1212.

Doing three Status jars will be awesome! I wish I had made three. I already know the 1212 is too big for me in that jar, so I'll stick a 105 in my half-full DT Status jar to see if it get's too hot in the lower third of the jar, and I'll try a 104 in my full DT Status jar to see how many burn sessions it takes to get a FMP.

Yes, you can warm your pouring pot in the oven. I heat mine in my electric skillet set at about 200 degrees. Then when I put the wax in the pour pot, I have to set it back in the electric skillet to keep the heat up while I ad dye and FO and stir. I added pre-warmed FO at 190 and poured around 185. I had to turn my skillet up to 250 to get the 2 lbs of wax back up to 190 after ladling it into my pour pot.

Edited by HorsescentS