Wowzeers the CT!!!

FaithfulScenter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with all the testing you've done- you deserve it! (for me it would be Fanny May Trinidads or Godiva, got a stash in the freezer, shhh, no one else in the family knows..)

Oh my!

Freezing causes the cocoa butter to seperate from the blended chocolate. The term is known as "blooming". Ouch! Hide them in another place if you want the best taste possible.

I know more about eating chocolate than making candles. I've only been making candles for a little over 30 years. Eating chocolate on the other hand. . . . . . (lol)

MMMM! Now if I can only find my DW's stash! She does all of the shopping now!

"Chocolateless in Maryland" Dave

Oh Dave, I can't imagine being CHOCOLATELESS!!!!! This is my biggest problem, I am never without sweets. I say all the time, if I didn't know how to bake, I could be skinny. I love cooking healthy meals for my family, and am perfectly content having a nice salad for supper. But then after the salad, I think, oh a little treat would be nice, so I go in the kitchen to make something, and it usually ends up being brownies. Triple chocolate brownies, usually with some kind of homemade icing. And then I eat half the pan.... Chocolate is my #1 weakness!! It's my kryptonite!!!!

On a wax note, I woke up to the smell of Iced Oatmeal Cookie still going in the kitchen. That's a bakery scent, going strong for 19 hours. Big, and I do say BIG improvement!! And that is Blend 3.

Sunshine was barely smellable in the bathroom, so I unplugged my warmer. I need to test how well the wax "pops" out, then I'm going to add 1 cube of BTP and see how it does in the smaller warmer.

Will get the Trinidads out of the freezer- good advice! I'll find another hiding spot.... hmmmmm, this may take awhile.... maybe with my wax supplies? (not the fo's of course!)

Whenever my DW breaks down and gives me some.

(CHOCOLATE)

I find that my favorite hiding place is in my mouth.

Whenever I go to search for it, I find that for some reason, it's always missing!

That's one of my issues with my 4627 candles. They burn very well if I trim the wick short but if I don't, they do what you said yours did. If I use a smaller wick they drown. ]

Gosh, CW, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. I don't even trim my HTP wicks at all in 4627 and they work great. Are you waiting at least two or more days to let your wax harden up before testing? What kind of dye are you using? Your FO load wouldn't be a problem. I buy my HTP's at Peak, if that makes a difference?

Also, the Nat'l Candle Assoc. says that when you first relight a candle, it's normal for the flame to stretch up, dance around a bit, and maybe even smoke a bit for a couple of minutes until it establishes a melt pool and settles down. But that's not happening to mine with 4627, though, but it did happen to me with 6006 and zincs.

Edited by HorsescentS

I usually wait 24 hours to start testing. Wouldn't the 3rd or 4th burn qualify as waiting 48 hours? It should be settled down by then? I usually try 3 different wick sizes in 3 separate jars. HTP105 works beautifully until 2nd half of burn then drowns. I think I'm going to use HTP1212 with only 6% FO. I haven't poured wax in more then 2 months, maybe today.

After declaring 3022 my candle wax, I dug out some old 4633 testers and put CD wicks in them. Amazing HT. Not just one different scent. 3, all in different jars. The burnt beautifully through several burns. Now I'm wondering now if 4627 is better than 4633. Thinking about ordering a sample from Peak. With some Honey FO of course....

I usually wait 24 hours to start testing. Wouldn't the 3rd or 4th burn qualify as waiting 48 hours? It should be settled down by then? I usually try 3 different wick sizes in 3 separate jars. HTP105 works beautifully until 2nd half of burn then drowns. I think I'm going to use HTP1212 with only 6% FO. I haven't poured wax in more then 2 months, maybe today.

No, the 3rd or 4th burn won't qualify as waiting 48 hours because the wax has been exposed to the heat of the melt pool above it, and some of the lower level wax gets softened and some wax bleeds together with the melt pool. If you don't let them cure at least 48 hours or more, it messes up the entire candle all the way down. I really believe that if you will wait at least a FULL 48 hours or more before testing your 4627 you won't have the same problems with it you've been having. When I don't wait at least 48 hours I have problems with drowning wicks, smoking, needing to use a larger wick than I would need to use if the wax was harder, and none of the wick testing is accurate.

I don't put the lid on for at least a day or two, if at all, while I'm letting them cure because I don't want to trap moisture in the candle.

I have some Libbey Elemental jars that I tested too soon and was wicking up and up and up to a 1212 and 126, but after I put them away in my dud box for a couple of months they now burn perfectly with an 83. If you can possibly stand to wait 72 hours or more, that's even better. If you wait, your candle might work perfect with a 105 or even smaller size wick so you won't need to try a 1212.

Edited by HorsescentS

Jeanie sent me some 3022, not even close to 4627. I had 4 identical jars with 3022, 3020, 6006 & 4627, same FO & %. No CT at all compared to 4627. Yes it's difficult to wick for me, but I will get it done!!!!!

After declaring 3022 my candle wax, I dug out some old 4633 testers and put CD wicks in them. Amazing HT. Not just one different scent. 3, all in different jars. The burnt beautifully through several burns. Now I'm wondering now if 4627 is better than 4633. Thinking about ordering a sample from Peak. With some Honey FO of course....

Alright HS, I'll try this way today I hope. It's Doggie Spa Day at this Zoo, so If I can still straighten up after this I will do it! Thank-You! :smiley2:

Great! Doggie Day Spa at the Zoo sounds awesome! I forgot to mention that the first time I light the candle I leave the wick 1/2" long, and it adjusts down the the shorter length as it burns, but I think it gets the candle off to a better start...just my opinion.

I leave the wick 1/2" long, and it adjusts down the the shorter length as it burns, but I think it gets the candle off to a better start...just my opinion.

I'm usually one who trims wicks shorter to set the pace of the burn, hoping the keep the flame in check as the candles goes along. However, this morning lighting up the 464 tea lights, I found exactly what you said. They needed 1/2" to get going. Was able to melt them back down on top of a warmer to re-wick. Thankfully, I didn't have to repour from start.

I'm usually one who trims wicks shorter to set the pace of the burn, hoping the keep the flame in check as the candles goes along. However, this morning lighting up the 464 tea lights, I found exactly what you said. They needed 1/2" to get going. Was able to melt them back down on top of a warmer to re-wick. Thankfully, I didn't have to repour from start.

Interesting. Thanks, Jeanie! :D

I don't put the lid on for at least a day or two, if at all, while I'm letting them cure because I don't want to trap moisture in the candle.

Dearie, If you have moisture in your candle you have other problems going on! Most times if there is water in the wax, it's a small droplet or puddle on the bottom of the jar. I like to cap after about 8 - 12 hours or so, and then let them cure with the lid on to keep the scent throw in. JMO

Ok, bought the 20oz Emma, I'll do that size & the smaller one I had already. HS PM your address please, I have a ton of small HTPs. If we're going to be test buddies, we need to do this at the same time. I'll stick'em in an envelope like Jeanie & I do. We call it Prezzies!

Test buddies was probably one of the best things I've done while testing. If there is a fail with both testers, we know it isn't isolated to one person doing something wrong.

Have fun you two :)

Dearie, If you have moisture in your candle you have other problems going on! Most times if there is water in the wax, it's a small droplet or puddle on the bottom of the jar. I like to cap after about 8 - 12 hours or so, and then let them cure with the lid on to keep the scent throw in. JMO

No, I've never noticed any moisture in my candles at all, but I was afraid that any heat still deep in the wax might form condensation in a lidded jar.