New here and would like some advice!

I am new and came to this site because I was interested in making my own tarts for personal use and I thought it would be a great activity to do with my kids (they are older but enjoy tarts as well). As I read more and more, I began to get interested in making some container candles for personal use and perhaps for gifts in the future. And, finally, I might venture into pillars later, but not looking at that for a while.

Dealing with suppliers, I live in Southern California and have no suppliers in my area (without driving at least 2-3 hrs). But, I have found 3 suppliers in my area that if I got into it enough, I might be willing to drive to get my supplies to save some money.

My choices are:

GenWax (of course)

Soy Scents and Candles (Yuma, AZ)- sell exclusively Enchanted Lites

SpiritCrafts (in Yucca Valley, CA) but doesn't seem to have much info on their wax- they just sell soy container, soy pillar, all purpose wax, and a generic container wax.

I tried pricing some other places like Letitshine.com and my shipping is about 45% of my total price. I'm interested in trying out smaller amts of wax to see if I like them before buying a case.

Can anyone in Southern California who buys wax online please help with who they shop with? The shipping might be the end of my new interest!

I would prefer a flake, powder wax over a slab since I am starting kind of small, since I see I have a lot of testing (from my reading here) to do before I move into other things so my original plan was to begin with some small canning jars (4-8oz) and perhaps some travel tins for containers and of course, the tarts.

Thanks and I appreciate that you guys are here on such a great board. I have been lurking for a month or so.

I would prefer a flake, powder wax over a slab since I am starting kind of small, since I see I have a lot of testing (from my reading here) to do before I move into other things so my original plan was to begin with some small canning jars (4-8oz) and perhaps some travel tins for containers and of course, the tarts.

Pop over to the veggie section and post your question there. Soy waxes are flakes or pellets generally.

e

If you like containers, get a contaier kit. It will have everything you need to get started. As for suppliers, don't automatically rule out the out of state ones. Prices and quality can vary widely. Sometimes you can buy for enough less, from out of state, to more than pay for the shipping.

You can find cheaper kits, but personally, I think Peak's will give you the best value.

Angie, I have to say I'm impressed.. Finally a new person to the boards who can actually do research! Welcome to the boards!

Also, when figuring your shipping costs, it's usually cheaper to ship than it is to drive to get supplies unless your supplier is right in your town, unless you're making a huge wax purchase. HTH

Angie, I have to say I'm impressed.. Finally a new person to the boards who can actually do research! Welcome to the boards!

:highfive:

Well, thanks!

I still haven't figured out what company I am going to go with dealing with but I think I'm going to start buying different types and trying them out.

I am just reading, reading, reading for now. Learning all of the lingo, and starting to get ideas before I start buying stuff I don't need. I think the most intimidating thing is the whole testing the container, FO, wick, and wax. Seems like a lot of testing for having a few different styles in different fragrances. But, I am up for the challenge!:yay:

I have a list formed of stuff that I want to buy and I am going to start at my local restaurant supply for stuff like pour pots (which they use in baking), mixing bowls (for some bath stuff I am looking at...mainly bath bombs and salts), some ice cube trays in shapes (heart, stars, etc) to use as a tart mold to start.

I figure in the next couple of weeks, I might start buying stuff to try out. I have a huge wish list for FO's.

So, to start on my tarts, I don't need much if I use my own mold (mini muffin pan or special ice cube tray). From there, I can start to see how the wax works and then start pouring some small containers.

I know I am going to get so addicted...I feel like I already am!:drool:

Thanks for your help. I think I might order from BitterCreek South since they seem to have a good wax selection. But I think I am ordering my FOs from NG.

Thanks for all of your help, any more advice?

:highfive:

I think the most intimidating thing is the whole testing the container, FO, wick, and wax. Seems like a lot of testing for having a few different styles in different fragrances. But, I am up for the challenge!:yay:

Just think....your house will smell really great while your testing!

Hello and welcome!! I have used both Soy(blend) and parafin. Both have their headaches and qualities. I would suggest buying a kit to start out with. Also, you need to be careful using other things for tart molds, as you dont want to make them too big, and your burner over flows, lol (lesson learned QUICKLY). I would suggest along with the others who have posted to go ahead and look for a kit first. They give you everything you need to start and its a good place to see if its something you want to do.... Anyway, WELCOME and enjoy your newest addiction :yay:

Hello and welcome!! I have used both Soy(blend) and parafin. Both have their headaches and qualities. I would suggest buying a kit to start out with. Also, you need to be careful using other things for tart molds, as you dont want to make them too big, and your burner over flows, lol (lesson learned QUICKLY). I would suggest along with the others who have posted to go ahead and look for a kit first. They give you everything you need to start and its a good place to see if its something you want to do.... Anyway, WELCOME and enjoy your newest addiction :yay:

Thanks for the advice...I bought the container kit from Peaks.

What I was looking for for tarts was smaller things, like ice cube trays, mini muffin pans, etc. I have been using tarts for a while so I know about overflow as well!!

I tried pricing some other places like Letitshine.com and my shipping is about 45% of my total price. I'm interested in trying out smaller amts of wax to see if I like them before buying a case.

Let It Shine has a warehouse in Sacramento with wax, did you by chance call and talk to Jim because the shipping has to be cheaper than 45% from here to So. Cal...Then again, I'm not sure if they ship less than cases qty out of there.