These Are So Addictive!

Grumpy Girl

Beautiful! I love the swirl.

Darn you CP'ers and your smooth pretty soaps... :angry2: Why must you show me these gorgeous soaps? I got so sick of making my ugly HP, I finally just bought 10 pounds of M & P.

If it wasn't for the 2-4 week cure time with CP, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Ugh, why does it have to take sooo long?!

Very nice. I have been wanting to try to make soap for a while, I think I may have to try this. If you don't mind me asking? Is the only ingriedents , coconut oil and un-iodized salt? Do you also add water? I think this would be a good starting soap for me. Thanks

clc404

Cheryl C

Now THAT's what I'm talkin about! I've been watching these posts about salt bars like you wouldn't believe...barely move outta my chair except to call hubby at work and tell him what ingredients to bring home LOLOL, but I simply HAVE TO MAKE THESE TODAY!! He forgot my lye, but I'm gonna go pick it up in a few minutes & then I'll be hiding out in my kitchen all evening with my stick-blender just a-roarin!

Which way did you do your swirl? In the pot? Or did you take some out and color it, mix it in the mold? Just wondering because I've been reading where everybody says this moves really fast, but I'd love to have a swirlie saltie! :D

I really can't tell you how easy and fun these are to make. Super quick too since you basically CPOP them and with a water discount so cure time is like nothing.

The bars weight roughly 8oz each, which is kinda big but they fit nice in my hand. I use a 2.5lb (9 bar) Kelsei mold and using 32oz of oil and equal salt fills them about 3/4 of the way to the top. I like a chunky bar.

The only ingredients were 100% coconut oil, and equal measurement of table salt, uniodized. I took a 10% water discount to get full gel. (Watch it if you use 100% coconut oil with up to a 30% water discount, I am told you can have a volcano.) The original recipe said to use as much salt as the mix would allow, but I think that equal weight is good enough for me. The bars are solid, and they hold together without crumbling apart. I think you can try almost any recipe for these as long as you keep the coconut oil at or above 50%. As soon as I go get more salt today I'm going to try something different.

I swirled (If you can really call it that) in the mold. The very first batch I made traced really quickly on me, so I didn't have time to do nuttin'. This batch I brought to a very light trace, to where it just barely coated the stick blender before I added the salt and separated some for the color. It does move VERY fast, then again, this is only my second ever CPOP so it could be a normal trace time... I wouldn't really know.

I'm making these for the CP swap so I want to play around with a few different recipes before I decide on one.

Ok, lemme see if I've got the basics on how to do this before I go tearin' up my kitchen, lol.....

I wouldn't simply CP this. I would CPOP this, correct? And that means doing the CP thing & my little swirlie thing & then sitting the mold in a warmed oven turned off, but around 170 degrees. Right so far? And I'd leave it in the oven for only about 45 minutes or so? Then cut into bars. Do I possibly have the gist of it? Oh I'm so excited to get a batch of these going!

OH...one more thing that I've just gotta ask somebody. Ok, I use soapcalc, and I usually go with 35-38% in the box where it says "Water as a & of Oils". Is this what is meant by water discount? Or do I need to use a different program to get that part right? Or do I just need to be looking in another place on that page? I'd sure hate to screw up the water amount in these salt bars & end up with salt water TAFFY or something. Yikes!

Ok, lemme see if I've got the basics on how to do this before I go tearin' up my kitchen, lol.....

I wouldn't simply CP this. I would CPOP this, correct? And that means doing the CP thing & my little swirlie thing & then sitting the mold in a warmed oven turned off, but around 170 degrees. Right so far? And I'd leave it in the oven for only about 45 minutes or so? Then cut into bars. Do I possibly have the gist of it? Oh I'm so excited to get a batch of these going!

OH...one more thing that I've just gotta ask somebody. Ok, I use soapcalc, and I usually go with 35-38% in the box where it says "Water as a & of Oils". Is this what is meant by water discount? Or do I need to use a different program to get that part right? Or do I just need to be looking in another place on that page? I'd sure hate to screw up the water amount in these salt bars & end up with salt water TAFFY or something. Yikes!

Yup, you do all that and CPOP it for about 1 hour @ 170. I left my oven on for 30 min and let them sit in the oven with it off for another 30. They went into full gel after about 20 min. Now, since mine are in a mold with dividers, I'm not sure how hard they are going to be for you to cut since they were pretty hard already when they came out of the oven.

For the water discount, I was kinda lost on that myself so I took the liberty to just take away 10% of whatever soapcalc told me to use for water in my final recipe. It seemed to work.

Remember, you are required by the thread starter (me) to post pictures of your final product! :D

Have fun!

hmm....dividers. Methinks me needs to get me some dividers. I've got a slab mold that holds 2.5 lbs. I'll use that instead of the log mold for these and maybe it won't be so bad at cutting time (fingers crossed). If I were patient, I'd just hold off altogether and order a different mold, but Ida wanna wait anymore!!

Now, does anyone have any alternative uses for these things if something goes wrong and they don't become soap bars? Perhaps cubing them up and using them for Margarita garnishes???? Or just set them out in a bowl beside of the tequila bottle? (chug, lick...chug, lick, etc)

I'll post pics of these as soon as I get em cut (no shower scenes though!).

These bars set up fast and HARD. Keep an eye on them and cut as soon as you can. Don't leave overnight or you will never cut them. They are like a rock. I saw some that the person kinda had to smash up with a hammer or something. I actually think they were called some kind of rock (soap rock,salt rock,spa rock or something). I hurried and put mine in a half round mold to avoid trying to cut.

Glo

Yup, I already made a batch of these using a different recipe for the swap. (Bartender, a round of Salt soap for all my friends at the bar!) :yay:

DH said that when I came out of the shower this morning it smelled like I had been burning candles in there. I like 'em strong, what can I say?

I can't really feel the salt, I used table salt, nothing coarse. I'm not sure how it would be marketed, I don't sell yet... soon, but not quite yet.