How long are unburned candles good for

I have heard of people storing them indoors (out of sunlight/severe temp. changes) for over six months without any bad effects. I also think I read a link here where someone left candles in a "shed" through the winter and such and to their surprise the candles ended up smelling great. I'm sure some more experienced chandlers will chime in here.:wink2:

My soy definitely gets better with age. I made a vanilla one last Jan and it did not seem too strong even at 9%. I got disgusted shoved in my candle closet and forgot about it until this past December. I open the jar and lit it and the throw just about blew my socks off! Than one 8oz JJ scented my whole house.

I made a candle when I first started that was wicked wrong. I too put it in the cupboard and forgot about it. I burned it over a year later and even though it was wicked wrong in the first place as soon as it started getting a melt pool (not a large or full melt pool it had just started melting wax) it scented my whole basement and then the scent filled my whole house. If I could cure every candle I made for at least a year I would. Talk about running you out of the house scent. It was the best candle I ever burned.

Yep, just like fine wine.:wink2: I found some that I'd made a couple years ago when I first started making candles and had stuck away in a box. Burned them just for the heck of it and man were they strong! No funky or off smell at all. If they're in a dark place so they don't fade and in a controlled temp. I think they only get better.

Wow, I had no idea! I'm still wet behind the ears about a lot of things to do with candle-making, but I'm trying to learn as fast as I can. I've got a craft booth reserved for a 3-day county festival this coming august, and I was planning on waiting until June to start making up the candles for it (cuz I thought they'd be poor quality if they weren't "fresh"). So this info is GREAT to hear! I can go ahead & get started on it anytime now & not have to worry about working long days/nights all summer in the kitchen. Yay! :grin2:

Same here.I have been burning some from last year and they smell great.Also I sold some candles cheaper this year that I had from last.I had people look and say"What is wrong with them"I said nothing just some from last year and the answer I got back was"I don't see why that would matter".Should have sold them the same as the other. It's just NOT ME though.

LynnS

I've had a variety of new candles in tins stored in a box in a hallway for 1.5 yrs. and when I checked them this Fall only the Pumpkin Spice smelled old; the Christmas Tree and Cranberry were fine. Actually the smell was kind of like a solvent smell. They were made by a company that produces pure Soy candles but I'm wondering if the orange dye and the tin have reacted to cause the smell. Suppose I'll never know but wish I had one in a glass to compare to. I haven't burned any to check the fragrance.

Linda

It was the same for me with Cake Bake.I decided it just did not have much scent.So I kept it myself and burned it.WOW it was awesome.Very strong.So here was one with no cold throw but great with a hot throw.It was one of the older candles too. I would check that candle you have in a tin(if you still have it) It may be great.Trouble is you may not be able to convince someone else.

LynnS

I been buying a lot of soy candles since August when I was first introduced to them. Like another member of this board said, they are like fine wine. The older they are, the stronger they smell. I just hope they don't turn into vinegar... :grin2: Just kidding!

I was reading on the NGI site today that there's no reported shelf life for candles made from their waxes. They also mention they have candles that were made in 1999 that are still fine. I imagine this is a reflection on the shelf life of soy wax in general, if properly stored.

Thanks for all the replies, I am thinking I will put a few up for a year and see what happens. I do notice that if I burn them soon after pouring them that I can not smell them. I lit one today that I made 3 weeks ago and I can smell it all through my house, can't wait to see results after being stored for a while. :cool2:

I have heard of people storing them indoors (out of sunlight/severe temp. changes) for over six months without any bad effects. I also think I read a link here where someone left candles in a "shed" through the winter and such and to their surprise the candles ended up smelling great. I'm sure some more experienced chandlers will chime in here.:wink2:

That would be me. I have my candles stored in an un-heated shed. They smell better than ever! They have been out there for more than a year and just keep getting better and better:yay: