Why choose Soy?

People only hate paraffin because they've been told by soy wax promoters that paraffin is bad, toxic, unnatural, not green, etc, all of which is false.

Some people are allegric to soy and have a bad reaction to soy candles.

Here's a soy candle maker who has done a fantastic job of telling the truth about soy vs. paraffin on their website: http://www.enchantingscentsdesigns.com/facts.htm

I have to disagree with that- I hated paraffin candles long before I even knew what soy was or started to even think about making candles- and only due to the fact that every one of them left my walls black and didn't burn for crap

after being on this forum researching and trying some of the members paraffin candles I have decided I am going to make paraffin candles myself sometime soon so I can hopefully make a better one than the big brands I hated

And yes people are allergic to soy as well as paraffin- it is all a matter of preference and just because you explain to a customer You chose soy or you chose paraffin - which is what the OP was originally asking- how to answer without discrediting any other waxes- it does Not mean its because one is better than the other

and Jack your absolutely correct- anything in life that requires gas or machinery can be linked to the petro industry- that is going way far fetched in the whole soy vs. paraffin debate- IMO there isn't even a debate- we can't blame marketers for our choices and our product sales- we need to market OUR own product no matter what it is in a positive way and educate our customers on the facts and stand behind what we sell

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a small craft show this weekend, not one person asked me what my candles were made from. They were just concerned with the smell. Sold out of Frankincense and Myrrh BTW, a FO that the person sitting next to me said wouldn't sell.

Like button- I LOVE that scent - especially this time of year and I have found people curl their nose up to the name but once they smell it they are hooked!

I don't offer identification of the wax. I used paraffin for several years (J50, 223) and blended them and occasionally test new ones; I 'll stick with my parasoy. Best of both worlds and most fos throw just fine.

Are you one of the ones that uses clarus wax? I requested my sample today of the parasoy container- I am excited to step into something different- 4 years of nothing but soy so far for me- I figured I will take by steps and try parasoy then dive into straight paraffin! LOL

I have to disagree with that- I hated paraffin candles long before I even knew what soy was or started to even think about making candles- and only due to the fact that every one of them left my walls black and didn't burn for crap

after being on this forum researching and trying some of the members paraffin candles I have decided I am going to make paraffin candles myself sometime soon so I can hopefully make a better one than the big brands I hated

And yes people are allergic to soy as well as paraffin- it is all a matter of preference and just because you explain to a customer You chose soy or you chose paraffin - which is what the OP was originally asking- how to answer without discrediting any other waxes- it does Not mean its because one is better than the other

and Jack your absolutely correct- anything in life that requires gas or machinery can be linked to the petro industry- that is going way far fetched in the whole soy vs. paraffin debate- IMO there isn't even a debate- we can't blame marketers for our choices and our product sales- we need to market OUR own product no matter what it is in a positive way and educate our customers on the facts and stand behind what we sell

Okay, wait a minute! I am being misinterpreted! My point was that soy uses just as much oil and gas as anything else that is manufactured, including paraffin, and therefore it's not accurate to say "that it doesn't benefit the petro companies at all," as the previous poster said.

I was NOT saying that soy wax production uses MORE oil and gas than other products, so what I said was certainly NOT "far fetched," as you said.

Clearly, YOU hate paraffin and love soy, but everybody that I know loves paraffin candles, and they love Yankee candles, and they don't even know or care what soy is!

I saw some ugly dry-looking candles in candle stores that I did not like, that looked like hard bricks of dry stuff in a jar, and then I found out they were soy; so I did not like the look of soy. That's my personal preference!

And even before that, when my aunt gave me a blue soy candle in a jar from a farmers market, I didn't even know what the heck it was, but I wondered why the flame was so dim and it didn't even throw a scent, then I found out it was soy. So, I did NOT like it at all! That soy candle shop went out of business, like so many others have!

I also have lived in an equestrian community for many years with world-class Olympic competitors, and Triple Crown race stakes winners, High Goal polo, the best-of-the-best equestrians from around the world, and NOBODY knew what soy candles were or even cared! So, your notion that soy fits better with an equestrian community is baseless. People only care about a pretty candle that throws a strong scent, and if your soy candles do that, fine! But they are NOT greener, cleaner, healthier, more natural, or more fitting for an equestrian community, etc.

Furthermore, the rustic settlers in the good ol' days did not use soy candles! LOL So, this thing of marketing soy as an authentic "vintage" and "rustic" product is nonsense.

So, let's just say that YOU like soy and hate paraffin and leave it at that.

And for people that like soy, they should make, sell, and buy soy because they like it, and not for any other reason since it's NOT a better product. I am so sick of the nonsense!

Edited by HorsescentS

That could be said for anything in the modern world that is harvested by machines and runs on gasoline.

Anyway guys thanks for all the replies. I think I have a good idea what to say now. :-)

Yes, I know it "could be said for anything in the modern world that is harvested by machines and runs on gasoline." My point was that it is not accurate to say that soy candles "do not benefit the petro companies at all," like the previous poster had commented.

Yes, I know it "could be said for anything in the modern world that is harvested by machines and runs on gasoline." My point was that it is not accurate to say that soy candles "do not benefit the petro companies at all," like the previous poster had commented.

Okay horsescents- completely predictable like I thought- you are so blindsided by your hate of the subject that you can't even comprehend what I am saying- I am saying EXACTLY what you have said over and over!!! It's a matter of PREFERENCE and that does NOT make one BETTER than the other and I do NOT hate paraffin or I wouldn't be posting EVERYWHERE that I am MAKING them soon!

And YES soybeans are more fitting in the "horse/agriculture" areas- its FARM related and what I was looking for in a candle and I don't give a crap what was first used in candle making- I have soy farms everywhere around me and THAT is why I CHOSE soy AND YES I too have seen and burned crappy soy candles - crappy candles are everywhere no matter the ingredients and THIS forum is what made me realize it was NOT paraffin alone that made a crappy candle - its the chandler as well!

As far as saying using MORE gas and oil - where did that Even come from??? I never read you said that- I think you need to re- read my posts vs. yours- your confusing yourself! LOL

And for the record- when I disagreed with what your saying - which is obvious you can't handle dis-agreements- I was relating to the fact that people hate paraffin because of what soy chandlers tell them- in case you were confused on that as well

You are Being ridiculous and completely defensive that it makes me wonder if you even are sure about YOUR choices!

Sorry Jack I am done with this thread now- I have said all I need to say

Edited by moonshine

Okay horsescents- completely predictable like I thought- you are so blindsided by your hate of the subject that you can't even comprehend what I am saying- I am saying EXACTLY what you have said over and over!!! It's a matter of PREFERENCE and that does NOT make one BETTER than the other and I do NOT hate paraffin or I wouldn't be posting EVERYWHERE that I am MAKING them soon!

And YES soybeans are more fitting in the "horse/agriculture" areas- its FARM related and what I was looking for in a candle and I don't give 2 shits what was first used in candle making- I have soy farms everywhere around me and THAT is why I CHOSE soy AND YES I too have seen and burned crappy soy candles - crappy candles are everywhere no matter the ingredients and THIS forum is what made me realize it was NOT paraffin alone that made a shitty candle - its the chandler as well!

As far as saying using MORE gas and oil - where did that Even come from??? I never read you said that- I think you need to re- read my posts vs. yours- your confusing yourself! LOL

You are ridiculous and completely to defensive that it makes me wonder if you even are sure about YOUR choices!

Sorry Jack I am done with this thread now- I have said all I need to say

Moonshine, you're contradicting yourself! You stated in your comment quoted above: "and I do NOT hate paraffin or I wouldn't be posting EVERYWHERE that I am MAKING them soon!" But, you had posted in an earlier comment in this thread: "I hated paraffin candles long before I even knew what soy was or started to even think about making candles- and only due to the fact that every one of them left my walls black and didn't burn for crap..."

First you said you prefer soy because it fits in with your EQUESTRIAN community! But, NOW you say it's because you have SOY FARMS all around you so you like soy because it fits with FARMS.

Soy farms and equestrian communities/horse farms are not the same thing and do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Based on the sales pitch you posted, you were marketing your soy candles as more horsey. There are NO soy farms anywhere around most of the leading equestrian communities in the USA, so soy is no more horsey than paraffin.

Gee, I know of an equestrian community where there are cotton fields around the horse farms, so I guess you would make a big deal about using cotton wicks there??? Because if cotton is grown near a horse farm that makes cotton "horsey," right? LOL

I live in a farm community right now, and nobody out here knows squat about soy candles, nobody grows soy, and nobody cares about soy, they certainly don't associate soy with their horses, they want a STRONG SMELLING CANDLE.

Farmers use tons of oil, gas, electricity, and chemicals on their crops, so all that stuff is farm related too. Some of them have their own little oil wells and natural gas wells on their farms, and their own gas tanks for filling their farm machines! They also eat a ton of processed food, and they are definitely NOT greenies, so they haven't been brainwashed by all the greenie marketing!

I'm not "blindsided by hate of the subject," I'm irritated that you misinterpreted my point and labeled it "far-fetched," when all I was saying is it's not accurate to claim that soy candles "don't benefit petro at all."

I think YOU need to go back and read over YOUR comments, and maybe you'll get a clue as to why I found them offensive.

If you want to market your candles as more "rustic" or "authentic country" blah, blah, blah, you'll have to use beeswax, kerosene, whale oil, and yes, good ol' paraffin! FACE IT: Soy is a newfangled, MODERN candle making material, just as soy beans are a relatively modern crop for American farmers to grow, and soy is mostly grown by large corporations.

Edited by HorsescentS

Last I checked this post was strictly about soy and not paraffin so why are we even arguing the point. It's the same old thing soy users and paraffin users arguing on what's better or worse. Some more than others. I could care less what sells or grows wherever and what it takes to harvest. I use soy, always have and always will. I have spent numerous hours and a ridiculous amount of money learning the system and couldn't afford to change now. Besides, sales make me keep making more. Like I've said previously promote your product and don't waste so much time and energy putting down someone else's product. What works for you may not work for me. It's not the wax that makes a sucky candle it's the chandler who doesn't care enough to put out a great product.

Moonshine, you're contradicting yourself! You stated in your comment quoted above: "and I do NOT hate paraffin or I wouldn't be posting EVERYWHERE that I am MAKING them soon!" But, you had posted in an earlier comment in this thread: "I hated paraffin candles long before I even knew what soy was or started to even think about making candles- and only due to the fact that every one of them left my walls black and didn't burn for crap..."

First you said you prefer soy because it fits in with your EQUESTRIAN community! But, NOW you say it's because you have SOY FARMS all around you so you like soy because it fits with FARMS.

Soy farms and equestrian communities/horse farms are not the same thing and do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Based on the sales pitch you posted, you were marketing your soy candles as more horsey. There are NO soy farms anywhere around most of the leading equestrian communities in the USA, so soy is no more horsey than paraffin.

Gee, I know of an equestrian community where there are cotton fields around the horse farms, so I guess you would make a big deal about using cotton wicks there??? LOL

I live in a farm community right now, and nobody out here knows squat about soy candles, nobody grows soy, and nobody cares about soy, they certainly don't associate soy with their horses, they want a STRONG SMELLING CANDLE.

Farmers use tons of oil, gas, electricity, and chemicals on their crops, so all that stuff is farm related too. Some of them have their own little oil wells and natural gas wells on their farms, and their own gas tanks for filling their farm machines! They also eat a ton of processed food, and they are definitely NOT greenies, so they haven't been brainwashed by all the greenie marketing!

I'm not "blindsided by hate of the subject," I'm irritated that you misinterpreted my point and labeled it "far-fetched," when all I was saying is it's not accurate to claim that soy candles "don't benefit petro at all."

I think YOU need to go back and read over YOUR comments, and maybe you'll get a clue as to why I found them offensive.

If you want to market your candles as more "rustic" or "authentic country" blah, blah, blah, you'll have to use beeswax, kerosene, whale oil, and yes, good ol' paraffin! FACE IT: Soy is a newfangled, MODERN candle making material, just as soy beans are a relatively modern crop for American farmers to grow, and soy is mostly grown by large corporations.

LMAO- again... you need to slow down and read everything I said

Soy farms- agriculture - equestrian community- rustic - it all goes hand in hand where I live honey

And yep I did hate paraffin before I knew about soy- so your theory that I hated paraffin due to being told it was bad is obsolete! And it doesn't mean I still hate them- again read slowly- I have learned on this forum it's NOT the wax alone but it is how it is made as well!

Have a goodnight horsescents and sleep off your bitterness

LMAO- again... you need to slow down and read everything I said

Soy farms- agriculture - equestrian community- rustic - it all goes hand in hand where I live honey

And yep I did hate paraffin before I knew about soy- so your theory that I hated paraffin due to being told it was bad is obsolete! And it doesn't mean I still hate them- again read slowly- I have learned on this forum it's NOT the wax alone but it is how it is made as well!

Have a goodnight horsescents and sleep off your bitterness

Oh, I thought you were DONE with this thread. Guess not. Soy is not rustic, soy is a modern crop, which has to be soaked in deadly hexane to even get the oil out of it, and then a lot of high tech chemical processing takes place to manufacture a substance that is not found in nature: soy wax.... which apparently hasn't worked for you or you wouldn't be planning to add paraffin to it.

Edited by HorsescentS

Oh, I thought you were DONE with this thread. Guess not. Soy is not rustic, soy is a modern crop, which has to be soaked in deadly hexane to even get the oil out of it, and then a lot of high tech chemical processing takes place to manufacture a substance that is not found in nature: soy wax.... which apparently hasn't worked for you or you wouldn't be planning to add paraffin to it.

Soy is a beautiful thing and works perfectly for me

Trying and adding paraffin eventually to satisfy the PREFERENCE of all people!

Keep telling yourself all your facts over and over- maybe flash cards would be helpful so you can feel good about yourself and your choice

Just to clarify Hexane is not deadly! It's also used in farm vegetables that we all eat. It's primarily made through the refining of petroleum. There is also no proof that it causes cancer! It's relative toxicity is extremely low and it's used to extract oil for corn and peanuts also. It's also used in baby formulas, protein drinks and alternative vegetarian foods so I highly doubt it's deadly. It comes from the same base as paraffin. Petroleum.

Guest OldGlory
It doesn't get any better Beth. Wait 'till menopause hits.

Oh yeah, menopause is such fun. 'Specially those hot flashes - or power surges as some call them. Only someone IN menopause knows that they're definitely HOT FLASHES.