double wick impaired?

Why can't I get double wicking down? I'm using 50/50 Joy - EZ soy in 4" apothecary jar, 2 RRD 55 with a heavier fragrance. 1st and 2nd burns are beautiful then when it starts to get down into the jar the flames get wimpy, I get an oval melt pool, and the wicks look like they're almost ready to go out. I've tried CD 14's and had the same thing happen with an oil that wasn't heavy. I've tried spacing them farther apart and closer together and have the same problem. Is it possible that 2 flames are sucking the oxygen out of the container once they get to a certain point in the jar and suffocating? Is it possible that too large of a wick could cause this? I know I'm reaching here but there are tons of people who successfully double wick these jars, why am I such a failure :cry2: How far apart do you double wickers space your wicks and what type of wick have you found that works well for this? TIA for any help!

I am not experienced with using the RRD's or that mix of waxes, I use the HTP's which are very similar to the CD wicks. I think the double CD wicks you are using would be too much for that jar. Others do it differently, but I space mine evenly across the jar. I don't know if this is helpful, but I found this in my jar testing. I found that any jar that had a neck/chimney, like the keepsake, apothecary or the 8 oz square mason always had a tendancy to burn hotter, then the wide mouth mason jars I am testing now. I had real issues trying to double wick the 8 oz square mason, even the smallest HTP wicks doubled in it were too hot. The wide mouth jars are completely open and I found that they have a more consistant burn. I am using the same wicks I used in my 3 1/2 keepsakes in my 3" dia. widemouth masons with success. I think I got a little off the path here, but I am not sure it is the wicks. Could be your wax combo, the amount of FO, or the jar. Sorry not much help.

When you say the first 2 burns were beautiful could you be more specific? How long did you burn and what result did you get? I have no experience with that wax concoction but the wicking sounds like too much.

Well, the wax combo burns pretty much like plain soy - Joy is 98% soy but has a liitle paraffin and other stuff that keeps it from frosting, EZ soy is just plain soy - no additives, 1.4 oz. NG Black Magic fo in 16 oz. wax. The first couple burns got a complete melt pool in about 2 hours, probably a little fast by most standards, but there was no smoking and the flames were nice and steady. Melt pool of about 1/4" deep after about 3 hours, I was in heaven! What I don't understand is why, after it gets further down into the jar, the flames dwindle. All I can figure is that it has something to do with air flow and lack of oxygen. The tops of these jars do narrow which I'm sure inhibits air flow into the jar. Interestingly, there are no mushrooms whatsoever. If my wicks were too large then I'd expect mushrooms but there are none. I have not trimmed the wicks at all since the first lighting and they are still only about 1/4" even though 3/4" of wax has been consumed. I don't have much experience with RRD wicks but I'm pretty sure they're not "self trimming".

Well the wicks aren't too small, that's pretty much for sure. I think I would try going smaller.

I'm surprised that your flames don't get big and flickery. It's sorta suspicious that the wicks are "self trimming" as much as you describe. One experience I had with EcoSoya CB-Pure Soy is that my wicks would kinda fry out rather than drown out, which left me freaked out so I eliminated the wax. Your experience sounds suspiciously similar.

I use soy 125 with 2 rrd 40 wicks evenly spaced and it works great in my 4 in jars. I think your wicks are to large. I rarely have to trim my rrd wicks.

Good Luck:wink2:

Thanks Michigan. Appreciate the help :D I just got some of the 40's as well as 47's and 50's so I'll give 'em a try.