J223 questions

Do any of you find that J223 burns really quickly? I made up some Christmas candles using J223, 1.5 oz. Christmas Cedar FO, in 8 oz. tureens. At first I double wicked them with 2 44-24-18 Z's. Burned very nicely and smelled awesome, but did not last very long. After testing this I thought maybe I could cut back and try just one wick. This next time I also put some imbeds on the top, and then I was not sure it would go real well, thought that's probably too small of a wick for a 4" diameter container. Oh, also I used 3 butterscotch color chips per pound of wax (still turned out a pretty light color).

So as I have been testing it--it's been burning for 1 hour now--it has about a 1 inch meltpool and is almost all the way out to the edges. I was hoping that by 4 hours of the first burn it would reach the edges!

I'm not sure if it's the FO (the amount, the type), the wax, or what. I'm thrilled with the way it smells and happy with the way it burns, but would like it if it could last a little longer.

Any ideas? I do tend to burn them about 4 hours at a time.

Laura :)

Hi, i know what you mean. i dont think its the wax in this case, i hve tested 8 oz tureens and double wicking them burns very nice and clean but too fast. what i did was go up the the 12 oz tureens, double wicking them and they do fine. I get 45 to 55 houres out of the 12 oz tureens(which hold app. 9.5 to 10 oz of wax. its very hard to wick the 8oz tureens, 1 wick dosent do the job and 2 of my smallest wicks burned too fast.. it was very frustrating because i love the small tureens. so now i am testing the very cute 3.5 oz tureens. and now just carrying the 12 oz tureens. they can still be a bit tricky to wick with 2 wicks...

I cannot say I think it is the wax. Although I have never burned tureens, I have done apothecaries, hexs, and victorians, and I always seem to get a longer burn in those. I compare also at shows, and no one has a burn time as long as mine in the hex dept. My 9oz hex's burn for 75-80 hours.

Thanks for all the advice. As I should have known, it started out burning okay with the one wick, but after a few hours it still had "almost" gotten to the edge of the jar, and I couldn't smell anything worth squat, so I changed it back to the 2 wicks of 44-24-18 Z and now it's burning great again (like cleaning the edges of the jar off completely) and what a huge different with the scent throw the 2 wicks make! I am definitely going to stick with the 2, even though these little jars do seem to burn up pretty fast.

Laura :)