Anyone using Square payment processing?

reading the comments below the youtube video makes it sound like they have not even launched it yet as people are still waiting for thier readers 6 months after applying. Don't know how much stock you want to take in those comments, but just something that stuck out to me.

I have both the iPad and iPhone apps and the apps alone are very nice (and free!). You can use the apps to check people out even without the reader...you just enter the cash payment. They still get a receipt and the app still records the sale on the application and online where you can download reports.

The credit card side of their business is still in beta but, from my close following, I feel that it will be launched to the public very soon. I heard that they are waiting on new card readers after the iPhone 4 launch due to some compatibility issues.

Either way, for a free app, free hardware, and no monthly fees it can't hurt to give them a try when they do launch the credit card processing.

They have been going through some problems. They actually announced their product before they had the financial backing. They have begun shipping out "some" readers. My guess, and it only a guess, is that they will start shipping out the rest of the readers, in about a month or so. They are still considered to be in a "beta" mode. From the help section of their website www.squareup.com there were a number of upset people whjo have been waiting since April or May for their readers, and as of today, still haven't gotten them, but those that have, seem to really like the functionality. Hopefully, they are also working on upping the credit limits for users. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

As an update, Square has started shipping out the readers, unlike one of the previous posters stated though, from what I have been reading, you cannot process a payment without the card "right now" without Square at least activating your account. Once they send you the reader, you can process without the card present, just at a higher % that they take. I finished my request for a reader about a month ago, and still haven't received mine. They "claim" they are shipping out readers at a fairly brisk pace, but they never have said (as of last week at least on their webpage) how many customers they have shipped to, and how many are still waiting. In the meantime, I have been using Intuits GoPayment solution. They give you 2 months free trial, and then it goes up to $12.95/month. I am hoping to get my Square reader soon, so I can cancle my GoPayment account before my 2 months are up. That only gives me about another 10 days. I have a few shows in October and November that I would like to do with the Square. Hopefully, I'll get a notice that mine is shipped in the next week.

Edited by JAVAEBOY

Thanks for the update. I am really thinking about getting it and hopefully it won't be a long wait for the reader. I have heard that people have started receiving them.

I have shows every weekend for the next month or so, so hopefully. i will also look at Intuits also. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have heard a lot about Square, as well as a lot of frustration with it getting a reader and so forth. Its sound awesome, but I wouldn't get upset about the problems as it seems to be them just not being ready to launch. Once they do I know I will make the switch. You can't beat no fees and no contracts.

I do have a regualr merchant account through United Payment Services. Not trying to do a shameless plug, but I am very happy with them as I can run cards via my blackberry at craft shows which is great. It's just only 12.00 a month which is very reasonable or better than most I've I seen. By doing it via blackberry you don't get the swiped rate, but the the non-swipe rate is lowest I have found. Its 1.9% + .20 transaction fee. Almost all others I researched before were in the 2% range with .30+ transactions fees. That's a big difference.

Another great thing is they are month to month with the above rates stated. Like I said, not a shameless plug... I have just been very happy with them and like the low percentage, month to month, and being able to use my blackberry at shows. :)

I did get reader about 2 weeks ago now. Used it for the first time yesterday. I will be using it for a craft show this weekend. Here are the particulars.

$0/month charge for service

2.75% + 15 cents per transaction with a swiped card.

3.5% + 15 cents without card swipe (Internet or phone order).

Limitation is $1000/week. This limitation is kind of hard to explain in few words. You can charge up to $1000 in 7 consecutive days. If you go over that amount, Square will hold anything over $1000 for 30 days. The full description is on their FAQ page of the webpage.

For me, this limitation isn't a problem, for others it may be. I only do a few shows a year, and if I do $1000+ in one show for credit cards, I would be very very happy.

Here are a few examples to determine if Square is better or not for your situation in comparison to the United Payment Services rate of 1.9% + $12/month:

Example 1 ($1000 in sales (100 x $10 sales) 75% of sales card is present, 25% of sales, card is NOT present)

Square:

($750 x 2.75%) + ($250 x 3.5%) + (100 x $.15/transaction) + ($0 monthly fee)

$20.63 + $8.75 + $15.00 + $0 = $44.38

United Payment Services (assuming same rate for card being present)

($1000 x 1.9%) + (100 x $.20/transaction) + ($12 monthly fee)

$19.00 + $20.00 + $12.00 = $51.00

Example 2 ($1000 in sales (2 x $500 sales card is NOT present)

Square:

($1000 x 3.5%) + (2 x $.15/transaction) + ($0 monthly fee)

$35.00 + $.30 + $0 = $35.30

United Payment Services

($1000 x 1.9%) + (2 x $.20/transaction) + ($12 monthly fee)

$19.00 + $.40 + $12.00 = $31.40

As you can see, by the numbers above, which credit card service you choose, depends on the number of transactions you do in a month and the % charged for cards. If the persons in Example #2 for square would have had their credit cards present, the total cost would have been $27.80. On the other hand, if in the first example , all of the sales were made over the phone, the Square fee would have increased by $5.63, bringing the total to $50.01, which is much closer to the charge from UPS. The $12 fee can add just enough additional cost in these examples to make a difference, but on the other hand, a number of sales with out the card present, could also add up quite quickly.

I hope these examples were both understandable, and helpful to my fellow crafters.

Edited by JAVAEBOY

Javaebuy, very well said. :) I think square will be great for everyone. Its just the waiting game for most people right now. In the meantime look for the best rates you can get from a traditional merchant account until you are up and running on Square.

I haven't gotten my reader yet from Square, but when I do I will get rid of my UPS account. I find that most people at shows have their cards with them and I would be doing almost all swiping. :)

The only reason I brought up UPS was because the fees were lower than anything I found :) thought it might be useful for some looking for something until they get their reader from Square since it is a month to month service as well.

Javaebuy, very well said. :) I think square will be great for everyone. Its just the waiting game for most people right now. In the meantime look for the best rates you can get from a traditional merchant account until you are up and running on Square.

I haven't gotten my reader yet from Square, but when I do I will get rid of my UPS account. I find that most people at shows have their cards with them and I would be doing almost all swiping. :)

The only reason I brought up UPS was because the fees were lower than anything I found :) thought it might be useful for some looking for something until they get their reader from Square since it is a month to month service as well.

I signed up a few weeks ago and am anxiously waiting for the reader. My grandparents do craft shows with intrecia (sp?) wood work and the art is pretty expensive. I tried to get him on board because it would be perfect for him but will have to teach him tons of stuff!

Keep up the comments for us newbies that don't have it yet :)

Well, I used my Square card reader for the first time Saturday. Only one credit card purchase, (good and bad I guess). Well, it worked perfectly for the transaction. First swipe, and the credit card was accepted. Neat thing is that if the customer wants a receipt, and has an email address, you can send them an email receipt. The email has a map of where the transaction happened, to what company, and if you have a picture of the item they bought, that can be attached also. $18.00 purchase, I ended up getting $17.35. ($18.00 x 2.75% + .15 transaction charge). I have to admit, when I was trying to show a few people in my family how easy it was, I did have to swipe my own credit card a few times to get it to work, so it takes a little getting used to, but well worth the hassle. I waited about 6 weeks to get my reader, but I believe, the wait isn't nearly as long now.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update here.

Used square to process about 1/3 of my sales for a three day show this past weekend. Worked great. I usually had to swipe more than once - sometimes several times - but that ended up being no big deal. The authorizing and processing went fairly quickly with one or two exceptions. Only two customers requested having a receipt emailed to them, the rest didn't care about getting any receipt at all. Customers thought it was very cool and other vendors were extremely interested. I was tickled in how it made us look very trendy.

I thought it worked great, not only for sales but for our image, also.