Container wax for tarts

Im not sure who made that rule, but i do use gb444 and have no problem in doing so when i make tarts. Thats why I like that wax, b/c i can use for my containers and tarts, save me $$$ and makes great tarts. The only thing i cant make are the pie crust, they always break!

Has anyone used the 444 or 464 in silicone molds? I've been using one or the other of these waxes since I started 5-6 years ago with no problems. I've never had to add anything to either for my tarts. Then recently I had a situation with a wholesale order where my wax stuck horrifically in my silicone tart molds. I was using just the wax with an FO load of 9% as usual.

I ended up having to add 3 Tbl. of stearic acid ppw AND spray my silicone mold with mold release AND back off my FO load to 7% just finish out the order with minimal damage to the rest of the tarts. It was the worst tart disaster I've ever experienced.

Two things that I think may have been the culprit.

1). I'd never used these silicone/rubber molds for tarts before. I stupidly assumed they would work fine.

2). Three of the FO's were new. Last minute special requests from the client. I only tested a tart I had mold from a different mold. Again, I stupidly assumed they would be fine.

So, you expert chandlers, would you say it was the new FO's? That is my gut feeling. Or is the 464 & 444 just not meant for molded tarts?

Thanks!

I only heat until my wax is just melted.

I pour at around 100 -110 degrees.

I've never added any additives before.

This is the same method that I've always used for my container candles as well as my clam shell tarts and my tarts that I pour into the little metal fluted 1 oz. molds.

I use 444 and did use 464 in silicone molds. The 444 releases perfect! Never had a problem w/ them coming out, and that is after only 2 hrs of setting up. The 464 was more difficult sometimes to remove, but if I let them set up over night, I never had any problems.

I used a silicone mold with the 444. It came out easy but some of the tarts looked chipped on the side touching the mold. I will be the only one burning them so I guess that's okay. They smell good, at least for now.

I am using c-3. What happens if I use that?

Your house blows up!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I'm sorry - goin' straight to hell for that one I know...:embarasse

OK, don't shoot - I'll behave! :D

You can certainly use C3 but it is designed as a container wax which means it's softer and supposed to adhere to the container sides. In cool weather, it's little problem to pour C3 into molds and pop 'em out (put in refrigerator for a little while if they are stubborn). The problem comes in when the weather becomes warmer... Container wax is softer and tends to melt or soften in warm temperatures. In addition, this warming up will cause it to frost. When the frost takes over the entire tart, the color is affected and the crystal phase is more crumbly. Some people think this is "drying out," but that has nothing to do with drying - it's the wax crystal phase changing the texture of the wax.

I use it to make tarts as well as all of my other waxes except palm container wax. I use tarts as sniffie samples and giveaways to my customers. They are a "scrap" product for me (ie. I use the over pour from pillars, containers and other projects to pour them). If I intended to sell tarts and clamshells as a bigtime product line, I would use a wax appropriate for that. A votive wax is a good medium between container wax and pillar wax. Pillar waxes are also good because they are much harder and tend to take storage much better than container wax. Tarts made with pillar or votive waxes keep their "good looks" longer than a container wax will in general.

I use C-3 for my tarts and votives. I haven't had a problem with it. Votives burn nice.
For loose votives, I have found C3 is inappropriate. For pouring little container votives, it's great. The difference is not so much in how it burns as it is how soft the wax is and how well it holds up to storage. Votives get beat up easily and the softer they are, the more of a beating they take!
It was the worst tart disaster I've ever experienced.

ValhallaGal, I didn't mean to ignore your issue, but it's worthy of a thread of its own.

Donna,

Do you heat to same temp and pour at same temp as you do with your container candles? Do you add additives to those?

Yes, I pour my tarts in silicone molds with the left over wax in my pour pot after pouring containers. No additives. The only difference is that I have the tarts cooling in a much cooler location than my containers. They firm up really nice & pop right out. I shrink wrap 4 or 5 together in the 4"x6" shrink wrap bags that WSP sells. A quick zap with the heat gun seals them very well, but doesn't melt them at all. I poke 3 tiny holes in the bottom of the packaging so that customers can smell the scent through the packaging. Good luck with your tarts.

:yay:

Hi, normally depends on how you sell your tarts, do you ship them.. because if you do the container wax will not hold up as well..meaning it is softer.. I used to do this but changed to a harder wax as they shipped better..

You don't want your product to crumble.. I usually went with a votive wax or something similiar.. with a melt point of at least 130..

I made candles for 10 years and had much better results with the harder wax.. this was my preference and had no complaints..

I no longer make them, but love to help others ..

good luck

Diane Mumm

I've used pillar waxes for palm, soy, and parrafin to make votives. I rarely make votives anymore but when I did I would sell them in the hot summer months. I needed them not to melt or go soft on me.

For personal use I will use just about any leftover wax to pour into tart molds or votive molds so I can enjoy it.