Bubble Bars!!

LuminousBoutique

I'm on a roll today... after making the bathbomb cupcakes work I moved onto testing new recipes for bubble bars that cut down on the cream of tartar, because while I love my bubble bars, I hate spending so much on one ingredient. Sure helps when hubby is home to watch the kids, I can actually get some testing done!

Original recipe found here http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_bubble_bath_drop.htm

Attempt one:

1 cup corn starch

1 cup Baking Soda

1/4 cup powdered SLSA

1/3 cup glycerin

1/2 oz FO

few drops color

results: too crumbly, it didnt want to hold together very well.

Attempt two:

same as above, but 2 cups baking soda

results: way too crumbly, took 1/4oz more glycerin just to make it stick together.

Attempt three: WINNER!

1/2 cup cream of tartar

1/2 cup corn starch

1 cup baking soda

1/4 cup SLSA

1/3 cup glycerin (or hydrovance)

1/2=3/4 oz FO (depends on strength)

few drops color (I separated it into two batches and then mixed in my mold)

results: WAY better! stuck together really well, was really nice texture. bubbles like crazy. Win!! WIN!! WIN!!! I really think SOME cream of tartar helps it stick together, at least in my testing.. so I am going to continue using the half amount, but I am happy with that because I can make twice as many batches with the same amount of tartar. YAY!

16846_329821699415_326597294415_4740987_3759909_n.jpg

I used a 1/2 cup measuring cup to press these into, and it made 3. The first two were shaky, I need to pack them better. But the last one came out perfect! I usually make them in a loaf but I'm loving this hockey puck shape my measuring cup made.. so I might stick with it!

Scented Love Spell for my valentines :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glycerin works with the SLSa and helps create the large, long lasting bubbles. Thanks much for the recipe, I'll have to try it too.

One questions though...last time I made these, within a few days they were growing mold all over. I attributed it to the glycerine content and no preservative. Have you ever found a need to use a preservative with this recipe?

nope... I've stored them for up to 3 months before without a problem... thats odd. I know Glycerine is humectant, so it must have drawn a bunch of moisture into your bubble bars, myabe humidity or something and then it grew into mold. Its not very humid here, that could be the difference. I dont really know! I know none of the recipes I've ever seen have a preservative mentioned.

That's true, Luminous. The humidity is low here. Will have to make some and then let them sit to see what happens.

Yeah I'll let this batch sit for a month (aside from the one I already used, hehe) and see what they do... but I've made lots in the past with the old recipe and never had a problem, so I dont know! I dont think adding a preservative would hurt though

nope... I've stored them for up to 3 months before without a problem... thats odd. I know Glycerine is humectant, so it must have drawn a bunch of moisture into your bubble bars, myabe humidity or something and then it grew into mold. Its not very humid here, that could be the difference. I dont really know! I know none of the recipes I've ever seen have a preservative mentioned.

i wonder...i accedently bought 1 gal of dimethicone1000....do you think that it would work like hydrovance or glycerine?

i need something to use it up on...

i know it is for lotions, shampoos..and such...

what do you think?

i wonder...i accedently bought 1 gal of dimethicone1000....do you think that it would work like hydrovance or glycerine?

i need something to use it up on...

i know it is for lotions, shampoos..and such...

what do you think?

I dont know what I was thinking above when I posted hydrovance, my hydrovance is too thin to use as a sub for glycerin in this particular recipe.. but dimethicone might just work... I havent had any around for a long time but the 1000 is medium thick right?

I dont know what I was thinking above when I posted hydrovance, my hydrovance is too thin to use as a sub for glycerin in this particular recipe.. but dimethicone might just work... I havent had any around for a long time but the 1000 is medium thick right?

yes it is pretty thick...