Testing 50/50 464/4630....

I am anxious to hear your results Tootie.... I think I am finally going to be able to order a slab of the 4630 this week.. I also want to try my own just parrafin.... I like this testing stuff if I could just afford it!:laugh2:

Anxiously awaiting your results!

Emily

Got up this morning and the candles are beautiful!! It got COLD in here (by AZ standards) 40's we dont turn on the furnace till morning. Anyway, NO frost!! NONE!! Now, it does look like the wax is not clinging to the sides so there may be wet spots I dont know I have not found any jj yet...:mad: but in the tins it dont matter.;)

I will light them up tomorrow morning.

tootie

OK did the first burn...

4oz tin CD7 TOO BIG!! the whole thing was liquid in 2.5 hrs:lipsrseal ....wick down for sure.

8oz tin CD 10 Nice burn not a FMP in 4 hrs but that is OK. Awesome HT.

8oz tin CD12 This one is nice too just a slightly larger MP than the CD 10 but still not a FMP.

So far both the CD 10 & 12 are VERY close. Neither had large mushrooms and both had AWESOME HT.

tootie:grin2:

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me what the diameter of those tins are. I just order some 4630 to test with my 415. And also is this a big difference then when you used just soy?

I am going to be testing 75% 415 and 25% 4630, in my jar candles, so I know mine will be a little different, just trying to see how much of a difference it made for you.

I cant wait for mine to get here, should be here Thursday. GL and hope you are having fun.

Antonia

I think with a 75/25 mix you wont see a BIG difference with wicking. I think flightoffancy is testing the 75/25 mix maybe she will chime in and give ya more info.

The 50/50 mix is a couple wick sizes smaller than normal for soy. I will be interested in how your mix "clings" to the sides of the container. The 464 mix at 50/50 pulls away pretty good so I figure there would be MAJOR wet spots in glass containers:sad2: .

The 8oz tins are about 3 1/4 or so inches wide. I have no problem single wicking the 464 OR the mix. BUT when I tested ky125 (years ago) I could NOT single wick the 8oz tin with plain soy.

tootie

OK got the lighter....2nd burn was much the same as the first. Both wicks are VERY close. Neither had a FMP but very close this was a 4 hr burn for the 8oz tins CD 10 and CD12 wicks

3rd burn...4 hrs FMP for the CD12 and sides clean and tin was not hot. The CD10 was starting to clean the sides and VERY close to a FMP.

I will burn another 4 hrs this evening and see how they are.

Both had EX HT and CT.

tootie

OK tested again today....Both of the CD wicks were VERY close. I will start with a CD10 in my testing. I like the HT and CT from this mix. I will finish burning them by the weekend and I am gonna test this same 50/50 mix with the 444 next week.

Oh and if you know the FO is heavy then I would start with a CD12 with this mix.

My little 4oz tin with the CD7 is too BIG...I am burning it....it turns to liquid in like 2 hrs so I am gonna try something smaller in there....anyone have any suggestions????

tootie

I lit the candles up again this morning for about 2hrs then DBF wanted to go out....so I had to put them out. I had been trimming the wicks pretty short about 1/8 inch or so. DONT do this!! My CD 10 had a really hard time staying lit:embarasse . I have to remember NOT to trim the wicks so short with this wick/wax combo.

tootie

Well I got my 4630 yesterday.:yay: I order it from peaks, kinda far from me but only other place I found it at was alabaster and they said they were out until after the new year, and they sent me a free 1oz sample of their Spiced Cranberry, which smells great but I am not really sure what it should smell like.

So this morning I made my smaller jar, it is only 4.5 oz, with the spiced cranberry. I used 25% 4630, 75% EL millennium, 7% FO, a little CO and UV, and one drop red used a CD 7 diam is 2 1/2 but tapers some at the bottom. I heated the jar with heat gun and poured at 160.

It is a beauty, so far so good. It hasnt pulled away from the jar at all I cant believe it. But I am getting, what someone on here called it, the booby candle. So I think I will play around with the pour temp and try to fix that. But other wise the top looks perfect. I wicked it the same as I would using only soy so we will see if I need to wick down. I might light it tomorrow.

And by the way I couldnt believe how easy it was to cut, I used an old pamper chef plastic thing that you scrap your stoneware with to clean. Couldnt have been any easier.

I am going to try 25% 4630 75% 415 next to see what I get.

GL and didnt mean to take over you thread.

Antonia

Oh that is OK!! Any info we can get on finding the "perfect" blend!!

I have some EL mill here too....but I am gonna also test the 444 because I can get both the waxes from Peaks.

I will be waiting to hear how your results are and how the HT was with the mill wax.

tootie

Ok well my blend was still beautiful this morning. No wet spots anywhere, usually I wake up to a bunch of them so I was very happy about this.

Well I really think I should have tested with a different fo, one that I know how it usually does but none the less. I dont know if I trimmed the wick to low of maybe this scents just need a bigger wick. But this wick looks like it is going to go out. But after 2 1/2 hours it is still trucking along, small but still lite. The smell was awesome, I usually test this size in my bathroom but I could smell it before I got to the bathroom. So that is a good sign. But it didnt get near the edges but this could be because of the little flame.

I am going to re light it later, without trimming the wick, and hopefully the flame with get better. But if after the 5 burn if the flame isnt any better I am going to remelt it and go up to a CD 8 and see how that goes.

But the candle is beautiful I really dont think I will be able to go back to just soy, I am totally hooked on this blend it is just beautiful.

I am going to pour it with the 415 on Monday, I forgot we are going over to some friends house tonight and then me and hubby have a date tomorrow, going to a football game (and the best part is we are going WITHOUT THE KIDS) It has been why to long.

Antonia

Antonia, They have the 4630 at Aztec here in Knoxville, TN. I bought a slab to play with, and mixed it with the 415. I did 75% 415, 25% 4630. Poured in to 7.5 ounce tumblers (2 3/4" Dia.) with 8% Baby Powder from Southern Scentsation and no dye. One tumbler had CD10 and the other CD12. I lit the CD10 this morning after not even 24 hours cure and the throw is very good. It took 3 hours to get a full MP, and I'm happy with that.

I didn't mean to jump on your ideas here, but you all got my curiosity up, and I had to try it.

Since I was on a roll trying all the ideas here I also poured two of the same tumblers with a 50/50 blend of 464/4630 like Tootie is doing. I used the same CD10 & CD12, 8% fo load of Nefertiti and no color. Lit the CD10 at the same time as the other blend, but had a full MP in 2 1/2 hours. Also very good throw. I'm pretty sure I can cut back on both the fragrances and have a very good candle if the throw stays good through the whole burn.

At this point, if I had to choose, I would go with the 75/25 with 415/4630 since it would be less expensive to buy supplies, and it is more soy.

HTH Sandi

SEP, Did you notice the 464 blend pulling away from the sides of the glass?? I noticed this with my testing but couldnt tell if any wet spots cause its a tin.

I am gonna test the 444 next week also. I want to try the 75/25 blend cause I like that it is more soy and right now soy is cheaper. But the HT will make the choice for me.

It is interesting to see what others are trying and testing...;)

tootie