re-using jars for candles

It seems like these people are asking customers to send jars back so they can be reused. http://www.agreencandlecompany.com/ Yikes. I did not read the entire thing, but what do think about using jars again for candles? I have heard of people doing it, but personally, I would be afraid that there could be a crack or something that I could not see that would break and cause all sorts of terrible problems. The only time I'd even think about reusing a jar would be for my own self. Never to sell or even give away. They could be used for other things like storing things in and I agree 100% with recycling, but not to the point of risking fire or something.

What do you think about this?

I would never ask a customer that paid full price for a candle to send back the jar. (Did that website mention who would pay the cost of shipping??)

I have asked friends as I've worked through my testing phases to return the jars to me, and I washed them out and used them again without issue. Some many many many times.

They're sturdy glass, made for candles, I don't see the problem.

The problem may not be 100% reproduceable, but it's definitely a danger. As glass is heated and cooled, it's forced to many numbers of the cycle. The contracting and expanding can cause fractures in the glass. Sometimes it's inside the middle of the glass and cannot always be seen with the naked eye.

This crack, at any time could rupture (I had it happen with a glass votive cup), causing fire and burn injury.

As for the site - they are using the standard "soy is better than paraffin" lies. BUT, they do not specifically mention they reuse the jars and you do get a FREE candle shipped to you for every 10 jars you save. They could be just recycling it, or have access to a good glass company they donate to who can melt down and remake items from it.

Lemme see here... you buy 10, ship them back at your expense and they send you ONE free candle, free shipping. They mention NOTHING about sending them to a glass recycler. This tells me that they cannot guarantee the quality of their glassware since they have no idea the conditions to which it has been subjected since it is used. Everything they are saving on carbon footprint by recycling the jars will be lost on the carbon footprint of shipping. Sorry, but this is the kind of "green" marketing that makes me wanna hurl. The only thing "green" about it is that they will be able to reuse and resell their glassware which will raise their profit margin. Sorry, but I gotta give them a green thumbs down.

There is no way we would refill jars for people. I have no clue if that jar has been rolling around in their car before it got to me and the liability would not be worth the $1.18 I saved in not using a new jar.

We do reuse for testing, since we know how we have handled the jar - but after awhile even those are given a new "job", since the constant reheating of the glass can cause them to become less reliable.

It sure sounds good to customers - everyone loves "GREEN" now. Unfortunately, people will probably do it thinking they are doing a great service without even a thought to what they may be getting in return....

I would never ask a customer that paid full price for a candle to send back the jar. (Did that website mention who would pay the cost of shipping??)

I have asked friends as I've worked through my testing phases to return the jars to me, and I washed them out and used them again without issue. Some many many many times.

They're sturdy glass, made for candles, I don't see the problem.

I want to clarify after reading some of the other responses... I know my friends aren't letting candle jars roll around on the bottom of the car or anything.. so I'm not concerned from that perspective. However, I've learned a thing or two here, and may limit that practice to just testers. Thanks everybody.

Why would it not let me edit my original post???

I reuse all my tester glass as well as that from my family. I only give it back to them (never a customer) and I do mark the bottom so I know which ones and how many times it's been used. The glass I use seems to be heavier than most I've seen and I've not had a problem. I don't think I'd try it with a customer though, wouldn't want to risk it. When I feel it's served it's purpose, it gets cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

I ask my customers to recycle or to return to me and I recycle.

Why would it not let me edit my original post???

You have to edit within a certain amount of time, then a post is set in stone unless it is modified or deleted by a moderator.

When folks return glassware to me, I use the returns as testers, personal candles and freebies to close friends and family. Business samples and sales stock are all new glass.

I will refill customer provided glassware...I have a large policy I hand out stating I am not responsible for any breakage either while pouring or while burning. The glass quality is entirely their responsibility and if it breaks while I'm pouring it I am not responsible to replace it. Since the condition of the glass is entirely out of my control I am not responsible for it. Them providing the glassware is the reason I give a discount on the finished candle.

If customers return my jars to me cleaned I will ask them what scents they want in them. I will then refill them only for that customer at a discounted price...but the same breakage policy applies since once they bought the original candle I have no control over the condition of it.

I primarily use jelly jars for my candles and those are designed to be filled and refilled over and over again. To preserve in these jars they have to be put in boiling water for long periods of time....boiling water is a higher temp. than most candle flames (if the right size wick is used). What makes glass weak is sudden temp changes....not slow gradual ones. Different glass is made in different ways and jelly jars are made to withstand high temps.

Now some glass is too thin and I've refused to refill it or I make sure and point out to the person that it could very easily break (sconces are usually very thin).I have one customer I've been refilling her glass for years...same pieces over and over and none have ever broken and she has a lot of the sconce holders.

Lemme see here... you buy 10, ship them back at your expense and they send you ONE free candle, free shipping. They mention NOTHING about sending them to a glass recycler. This tells me that they cannot guarantee the quality of their glassware since they have no idea the conditions to which it has been subjected since it is used. Everything they are saving on carbon footprint by recycling the jars will be lost on the carbon footprint of shipping. Sorry, but this is the kind of "green" marketing that makes me wanna hurl. The only thing "green" about it is that they will be able to reuse and resell their glassware which will raise their profit margin. Sorry, but I gotta give them a green thumbs down.

Vomit material I'm afraid Stella. They make me sick!!!:rolleyes2

I do offer my customers a $1 discount off their next candle if they return an empty jar with my label. I then reuse those jar for testing and not for reselling. I always reset when I receive a new batch of wax or if I am doing a custom color for a customer. It a way for customers to feel like they are being helpful in growing my business.

Kim

We were asked early on if we would refill customers' jars. We have refilled our test jars numerous times and never had a problem, so we agreed to the request, provided the customer cleaned the jar.

We save them the cost of the jar, and some take advantage of the service. We haven't had anyone request that service in a couple years, but would refill the jars if asked. It saves the customer some money, but it also saves us from buying jars.

We use only one type jar in 3 sizes, and have enough experience with them to know they are safe to refill.

Fredron