Propay card reader

Very nifty... I think it is pretty new, so I would be surprised if anyone has used it yet. Of course feel free to prove me wrong. :D

https://epay.propay.com/SPC/Default.aspx

I like the idea.

Pros (for me at least):

Time. With my knuckle buster I spend quite a bit of time on making sure all the numbers are visible, then I still need to get their info (I do a phone number in addition to a zip). This will help me cut down on that time.

Time. (Yes again) Not having to enter the numbers on line when I get home from a show.

Errors. I have only had one in several years of using propay, but on one CC form, I was not able to read a number and not able to contact the customer. I lost the sale. This reads the card for you...no error or chance of not being able to read a carbon CC slip.

Can hook up to puter. If you are doing a show and you have a laptop and an internet connection, you can process the cards right there.

Cons

Still have to write some stuff down if using it without a laptop at a show.

Cost. Nuff said.

Transaction limit. You can only process 71 transactions. I don't want to pay that much for something and then "run out of room."

No receipt for customer or signature in case they contest the charge? No thanks... but then the only problem I've ever had was someone who didn't remember the sale but did when I sent in the receipt with signature. Now if they had the kind like every other vendor has at the shows I do, where it prints 2 receipts and then you can download at the end...I'd be all over that.

If you get it, let us know how it works.

If (big if) I got it, I would probably still use my CC slips and get them to sign it, which again, is still taking up time and I still have CC slips to keep track of. I really don't know if it is worth it for me. I only do about four shows a year and I looked on my records for last year, and for two of those shows, I exceeded 71 transactions. Of course they were two day shows, so I guess I could go home and download the data then start again the next day. But for $100 and $5 a month when I only use it three months out of the year, eh, again, not sure if it is worth it.

The main draw back for me is the fact it cost you, not only do you have to pay for the unit come Jan. 1st you will be paying $4.95 a month to Propay to use it.

This is what get me they are not dropping you transaction fees or percent for using the unit the only people that really benefits is Propay because if the cards are scanned they get better rates from the major exchanges houses but are not passing that savings on to you. Propay has high enough rates as it is with out adding extra cost.

You might as well go ahead and get a real merchant's account. You will save yourself money.

I use propay but don't think I'd try this, mainly because of the price and if you didnt bring something to shows to print off a receipt and a copy for them to sign, then you'd have to write something up for them to sign anyway and you might as well just use the knucklebuster IMO. I like the carbon copy receipts. You always have signed proof.

When I first heard about it, I was really excited until I discovered it only holds 71 transactions, it is not saving much time as you still need to get the customer to sign, and no reviews as yet as to how reliable it is. I would hate to lose out on any sales if this little baby doesn't perform as expected. It would be great if they come up with a gadget that has the same concept but prints off a receipt for the customer to sign then one for your records. At the present time I will stick with the knuckle and buster. I pretty much have that down pack where as it doesn't take me long at all to process a transaction.