Scrubby Soaps

Candybee

If I wanted to make a scrubby soap with 'white' or light colored scrubby material what could I use that I would find in my kitchen. Will sugar make my soap mushy? What if I only sprinkle some on the bottom of the mold and not mix directly into my base.

I thought abut using ground oatmeal but really want something more light colored or white. I am trying to get a look and feel like suger because I really want white and sparkly.

Will sugar work? Any ideas?

Sugar won't hurt anything... won't be mushy. Just make sure you have more base than sugar, lol. But it still won't be as 'scruby' as the cornmeal would be.

If you have it in your kitchen, try a larger grain sea salt, or even Epson. It will settle to a layer though unless you really keep stirring or have a suspension base. The risk then is also that it actually 'stirs' into the base and is dissolved. So you will have to play with it - but don't be afraid to either. It won't get mushy though if you keep your proportion of base at a higher % than the sugar/salt/whatever you use for that matter.

Not sure about 'white and sparkly' though. It looks more like zillions of tiny air bubbles if in clear soap.

Lol... don't be afraid. You can do it! It'll be fun! Really! Lol.

I almost always add sugar to my very hot base to blend it in to the base its self- i'm not even exactly sure why but I think I read it helps with bubbles. Of course, they could have meant if you make it a scrubby type layer it helps, I dunno, lol.

Just don't try to make a salt type bar version of a sugar scrub bar. That doesn't work. There is a very extensive thread on that, lol. That kind of soap bar DOES get mushy/melt quickly even when semi successful.

I'm really terrible about exact measurements, but i'd say if you add it the same as you would corn meal (amount wise) you will have lots of saturation room before you get to the point of 'sugar scrub bar mush'.

C'mon....

Ya know ya wanna.:yes:

I made a lemon scrubby soap using the cornmeal and real lemon juice and lemon zest. It smelled fabulous but I want to make one a bit less scratchy. Didn't like the cornmeal. I want to try using sugar instead cause I really want to be able to call it a lemon sugar scrub soap.

Soooo-- I bought some turbinado (raw sugar) at the health food store to try out. I also got some lemon Essential oil, lemon peel both powdered and course. I'm gonna have some fun trying them out. I did like the results using the real lemon in the first test batch. No problems with it at all. I used 1 tbs of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 1 tbs of lemon zest per lb of soap. It smelled wonderful but I want a stronger lemon fragrance. That's why I'm gonna try adding the lemon EO to see if that makes it nice and lemony smelling.:)

My customers have been going gaga over citrus fragrances recently so I am trying out stuff. They love the mandarin orange soap I made. So I want to make a lemon sugar scrub soap for them.

• 1 month later...
Just don't try to make a salt type bar version of a sugar scrub bar. That doesn't work. There is a very extensive thread on that, lol. That kind of soap bar DOES get mushy/melt quickly even when semi successful.
I wanted to investigate this. Anyone know where the thread is?

I like the idea of adding something scrubby to MP bars that dissolves, because otherwise the "scrub material" ends up collecting around my tub or sink drain (bleccch) and is horrible to clean.

What happens to MP when you add sugar as a scrub?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
I wanted to investigate this. Anyone know where the thread is?

I like the idea of adding something scrubby to MP bars that dissolves, because otherwise the "scrub material" ends up collecting around my tub or sink drain (bleccch) and is horrible to clean.

What happens to MP when you add sugar as a scrub?

Thanks!

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56814&highlight=salt

That thread got left in the regular soapmaking forum when this m&p forum was made.