fragrance for sinks

chiptooth

Now that I'm on this sink refreshener kick and am excited about my new packaging I would like to get some opinions on which type of fragrances people would consider using to Freshen their sinks. I've done Red Hot Cinnamon, Verbena Lemongrass, Tealeaf & Grapefruit, and Hollenburst from Berts heaven scent and changed the name to Shower Fresh.

That came up so small and I tried to edit and couldnt make it bigger so I reposted the whole thing Sorry!!!

I copy and pasted this from BCN newsletter so I take no credit for the recipe but I have tried it and it's nice!

But I believe this is what she was referring to for the sink fresheners and BCN Lemon Pucker is great for this!

HTH

Sandy~WI

I make my own product to freshen

kitchen or bathroom sinks. I mix

together 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup

citric acid and 4 Tablespoons Bitter

Creek fragrance oil (my favorite

apple pie scent). After mixing,

spread onto waxed paper. Let dry

for several hours. When dry,

package into small cello bags or a

jar. Directions: Fill sink 1/2 full with

very hot water. Add 3-4

tablespoons of mixture. The

wonderful aroma will soon fill the

air. Let the water set until cool.

Drain water from sink. The

remaining baking soda mixture in

sink can then be used to clean the

sink. I package and sell these as

Aroma Sink Scents.

Now that I'm on this sink refreshener kick and am excited about my new packaging I would like to get some opinions on which type of fragrances people would consider using to Freshen their sinks. I've done Red Hot Cinnamon, Verbena Lemongrass, Tealeaf & Grapefruit, and Hollenburst from Berts heaven scent and changed the name to Shower Fresh.

I would like Lemon Cake

Apple Pie of some sort

Mint maybe a Peppermint

Lime

Sounds like a good ideal, might make some for me.

Could these be made into balls like the bath salt balls are? Never made either but just tossing in a ball sounds so easy. At least for the customer maybe not so easy for the one making it. Never Mind...

I'm wondering if that's really a safe thing to do. I mean FOs don't mix with water, but may do so in that form, however, I don't think I'd want to be inducing some toxic stuff into the water system. Sure, city's generally have things to clean, but if we aren't supposed to drink the FO, do you think micro organisms can stomach it better?

I can't imagine how much appeal this would have to the green movement either, unless you stuck with using EOs.

They are on the same line as bath bombs just minus a few ingredients and they don't have the consistency to be able to form into ball shapes like bath bombs.

I'm wondering if that's really a safe thing to do. I mean FOs don't mix with water, but may do so in that form, however, I don't think I'd want to be inducing some toxic stuff into the water system. Sure, city's generally have things to clean, but if we aren't supposed to drink the FO, do you think micro organisms can stomach it better?

I can't imagine how much appeal this would have to the green movement either, unless you stuck with using EOs.

It's really a bathbomb (sans the butters and oils) in powder form for sinks and drains. I know that the apple and pear dish detergent sitting at my kitchen sink is not scented with eo's, not to mention the lavender comet use I use to clean toilets and sinks. If you think about all the chemicals in cleaning products like Lysol, Mr. Clean, Windex etc...there's plenty of awful chemicals going down drains every day.

I am all about "green", so I might think about EOs. I use all green cleaning products, and most are unscented.

But... how would this be different than all the FOs in bath bombs- and for that matter, any B&B stuff that you use in the shower/bath? Or other cleaners? All that FO is eventually going down the drain. Handmade, commercial, etc.

Not trying to start a debate here, just curious. Something to think about, though!!! :)

Might be a good time for me to put away the booze.

:spit:

I am trying to think of something solid to run through my garbage disposal to clean it. It gets kind of stinky sometimes. I used to make dilute bleach water ice cubes to clean it, but I'm not using bleach anymore if I if I can help it.

:spit:

I am trying to think of something solid to run through my garbage disposal to clean it. It gets kind of stinky sometimes. I used to make dilute bleach water ice cubes to clean it, but I'm not using bleach anymore if I if I can help it.

For the garbage disposal I always used lemon, orange or lime rinds.

I'm still not getting this... do sinks stink?? Mine don't. They smell a little of the soap products that we use, dish detergent in the kitchen, hand soap in the bathroom, and shower gel/soap in the tub. If the sink hasn't been used in a bit, it doesn't smell like anything bad.

Maybe it's a garbage disposal thing. I don't have one of those.

My sink doesn't really stink either. The sort of main object of the sink scent is that because the citric acid bubbles when it drains it has a cleansing property for your pipes. The fragrance just releases into the air. It is great to use after you've cooked fish or onions or burned popcorn in the microwave. The fragrance release isn't a true aerosol so there are no actual particles in the air. I know we've had a clogged kitchen sink before and didn't want to have to run across town for draino or liquid plumber so I filled the sink with boiling hot water, dumped some baking soda and citric acid in, let it sit for about 1/2 hour and no more clog.

When we replaced our garbage disposal a few years ago it specifically said to not ever put any fruit rinds in it. While growing up, my mother always told us kids the same thing. I'm not sure why that is though.

I've always used baking soda and it works fine.

• 5 months later...

... 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup

citric acid and 4 Tablespoons Bitter

Creek fragrance oil...

Do you think converting this to ounces would be fine for these sink fresheners? 4 T = 2 oz. Or do you think they meant strictly volume? Regardless I'm sure it can't hurt to try it in this kind of product (no skin contact, no wicking/flames to account for), and it can't be much difference anyway.

ETA: I just realized that is awfully close to bath bomb recipes. Would adding cornstarch to this equal to the amount of citric acid and leaving it all powdery make a decent bath soak? And reduce the FO by half to get it more in line with the bath bomb recipes to keep it from being too much for your skin. I did some looking and found bath bomb recipes but not any for a loose powder product.