Layering cold process soap?

Rhonda

I can't seem to find any threads about layering cold process soap. Is there info in any books? I'm about to buy a couple books but of course can't see in them to see if there is specific techniques on layering..

So like in Melt and pour, do you wait until a layer forms before you pour your second layer. Or is cold process soap thick enough that you can pour immediately? Or, can I wait until the soap is hardened somewhat and then pour. ? Any insight is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Rhonda

Here is what I was told... LOL I asked the same thing.

Pour your first layer in the mold and then make your second layer and pour on top of it, by then it will have set up a little. (Make two batches of soap). It worked for me.

Maybe someone has a better way and will post.

Here is what I was told... LOL I asked the same thing.

Pour your first layer in the mold and then make your second layer and pour on top of it, by then it will have set up a little. (Make two batches of soap). It worked for me.

Maybe someone has a better way and will post.

I agree, same method I use.

Thanks.. Just to be clear, is this correct.. I make one whole batch and use that as the first layer.. (instead of separating the one into two, which is what I thought) I make a whole separate batch, and the first one will not harden too much, nor do I need to cover it before spreading the second batch over it..

Thanks you guys..

Rhonda

I do mine a little differently just dividing out the mix, color, pour, but I try to work the first layered poured into a thick trace and then I work with what I've poured off, but I also soap at really cool temps and it would take too long for me to wait for the next layer to cool down enough etc.

I do the same as Scented. I get my soap just past emulsification then divide it, do what I have to do and pour. Then by the time you're done with working on the second part, the first layer is able to support the second.

I also pour the second layer gently over a spatula.

I make mine by making however many batches I want layers for. I melt my oils and butters together and make my lye water for the batches. So I am am making 3 layers, I will have 3 pitchers of lye water and 3 bowls of butters and oils. Once everything is down to the temp I want, I make my first batch/layer as normal. Once I am finished with that batch/layer, I immediately start on my next batch/layer. By the time I am ready to pour that layer, the previous layer is usually set up enough. I continue on in the same manner with each layer.

Wow..thanks for all your replies and that great tutorial.. One other question..Is there a point where it would be too late to pour a second layer.. Say time wise maybe 30 minutes or an hour. I'm just wondering how much time I would have to work once I pour the first layer. This will tell me whether I should do the dividing of soap from one batch. Or if I could make two different batches. I don't have that much equipment or space so having 2 or 3 different pitchers of lye won't work for me. So I'm sure it varies but is there an approximate window of time.?

Thanks

Rhonda

I make one batch and separate it into smaller bowls. I soap everything RT I use the sb in short burst when adding colorant.

It helps to have a slow moving formula and well behaved fo/eo. I also use the sb when I'm ready to thicken the batter. It's usually separated and left sitting in the bowl with no stirring until I'm ready to work with it. Works well for me. Sometimes I get anxious and get wavy lines when I want a straight one..I hate that..lol

• 1 year later...