Toothsoap anyone?

SOAPFREAK

I have been using toothsoap for about 6 months now. Your teeth will never feel so clean. I convinced Barbara to try toothsoap. You should have seen her reaction when I told her about it. It is very important you do not use coconut or palm kernel. It gives that soapy taste. Trust me, leave it out.

Here is the recipe I used. And believe me it does lather despite the absence of coconut oil.

Most people don't realize you don't need palm kernel or coconut to get a great lather.

50% Tallow

30% Olive oil

10% Rice Bran oil

5% Cocoa butter

5% Sesame oil

At trace add:

1/2 tsp. bentonite clay

I used the tallow to get a harder toothsoap, but if this freaks you out substitute it with Crisco. If you don't have rice bran oil then you could triple the sesame. Anything works as long as you don't include a palm product like palm kernel, palm or coconut. That's what gives it the soapy taste.

I do a 12 oz. recipe on the soap calc. but this makes alot. If you make less I wouldn't use the stick blender and downsize your at trace additives. Any amount you make will last forever. I pour this into individual tiny tart silicone molds. I think one mold holds 36. I place the mold on a cookie sheet first then after pour I put into a turned off oven. Cure for 5-6 weeks.

I cure them for a long time then I shredded them in my salad shooter. I spread it out on a cookie sheet to further dry. Then chopped well in the coffee grinder until it's dust. I added a about 1 T. of shredded soap in a small bowl. I add a little distilled water microwave until a paste. Microwave for only a few seconds and watch it closely because it climbs out of the bowl. If you prefer some sweetness, add a little liquid stevia. I add about 1/2 dram of spearmint eo to flavor or whatever flavor you like, stir well and cram it into a small 1/2 oz. jar. I like mine strong. Doesn't taste like soap in the least and I can taste the eo that way. I will never go back to toothpaste.

I've been using it for over 2 years. I don't grind or anything, just cut into squares and I keep it in an old retainer holder. That way it's easy to take with me when I travel. Mine is just my usual recipe with lavender eo. You get used to the soap taste, it only takes a few days before you don't taste it anymore.

So I was reading the L-O-N-G thread over at the Dish that Barbara posted.....

So.....while I wait for the soap I'll make today to cure....could I just grate up a yr old castille, rebatch it and add some EO's to it and remold it? That would work, right? No coconut, no palm.....

Who's kidding who....in the meantime, I'm going to go swipe my toothbrush across the plain ol' castille.

I'm another one with tooth issues.....ever since my son was born 9 yrs ago, it's been cavity after cavity no matter what I do!

So I was reading the L-O-N-G thread over at the Dish that Barbara posted.....

So.....while I wait for the soap I'll make today to cure....could I just grate up a yr old castille, rebatch it and add some EO's to it and remold it? That would work, right? No coconut, no palm.....

Who's kidding who....in the meantime, I'm going to go swipe my toothbrush across the plain ol' castille.

I'm another one with tooth issues.....ever since my son was born 9 yrs ago, it's been cavity after cavity no matter what I do!

Yes you definitely could do that Angel. You could actually take that castile, shred some, let it cure for another week or so and then melt it down to add your eo to.

SF, do you use cocoa butter in your recipe to aid in making a harder bar? I'm just wondering as Barbara or someone mentioned that the glycerin in regular toothpaste actually attracts and holds gunk on your teeth and I'm thinking maybe the cocoa butter may do the same thing?

SF, do you use cocoa butter in your recipe to aid in making a harder bar? I'm just wondering as Barbara or someone mentioned that the glycerin in regular toothpaste actually attracts and holds gunk on your teeth and I'm thinking maybe the cocoa butter may do the same thing?

Yes I do add for hardness. Actually you will find out that toothsoap has the opposite effect. Toothsoap makes you so clean and slick. You will find that your teeth are clean and slick into the next morning.

Since I only do m&p, I get mine from someone on Etsy. They come as shreds. She uses EOs. I have orange cinnamon and peppermint (or spearmint? can't recall!). I occassionally use regular toothpaste when I'm in a hurry, but I can definitely tell the difference when I do.

I love my tooth soap! :P

I didn't get around to making any today.....other than the castille I grated and flavored.....but I'm going to in a day or so.

Question. I want to just make bars.....or chunks and I'll keep them in a little plastic dish or something....wet brush and rub it over it. Now.....if I want to go ahead and add the EO to the batch, how much EO ppo would I use for flavoring? It would be more than just straight CP right? What about flavor oils...would those hold up to a possible gel?

I know...I ask a lot of questions..... :tiptoe:

Thanks!

Donna

Donna,

I make mine unflavored that way I can make different flavors each time I make a small batch for me. I use Lorann's flavor oils like cinnamon, Peppermint, Spearmint, Wintergreen I just count the drops that I put in each batch I use about 10-15 drops in a 1 ounce batch.

I have even used lipbalm flavorings like Bubblegum and made a bubblemint.

Barbara