Help! Wicking 16 oz Apothecary Jar...

I'm trying to find the right wick for these @!*# apothecary jars and I'm ready to pull my hair out! :tongue2:

I made two candles using:

Wax - 100% Soy (GF 415) 1 lb.

All Natural Soy Additive (from Aroma Haven) - 6%

FO - 1.3 oz BCN Frankincense & Myrrh per lb.

Dye - sunshine yellow dye block colored to a medium gold

So far I've tried double-wicking with: CD12, CD14, CD16, 51 cotton and HTP105

On the CD 12s & 14s the candles burned beautifully. Full 1/4" MP within 2 hours - not a great hot throw, but I only let it cure 24 hours. Let it burn for 4 - 5 hours. Did great on test burns 1 and 2.

Test burn #3 - Not quite 1/2 way down into the jar and the flames started getting "weak" looking. Still got a full 1/4" MP within 2 hours. Burned both candles for 2 more hours. The wicks looked like they were going to drown out, but they never did.

I decided to wick up - made two more candles using CD16s and 51 cottons. They did the same thing. Nice flame at first, full MP, but then got weak looking after about 2 hours. At around hour #3 ONE wick drowned out and the other wick started burning with a nice size flame. Of course, the MP got lopsided at this point. LOL

When I tried the HTP105s I got a full 1/4" MP within 30 minutes. :shocked2:

It leveled out to a MP of 1/2" after about an hour, and maintained itself for two hours. Hour 3 ONE wick drowned out again! :mad:

I even tried a different FO with the same results.

Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?!?! (other than experimenting with soy LOL)

TIA :D

Why don't you try single wicking it so that you can use a large enough wick that it won't die.

By the way, I'd hesitate to use an additive whose nature was not explained to me. Have you found out what it is? It's not impossible that it's simply vegetable stearic, in which case 6% sounds like a lot to be using.

Why don't you try single wicking it so that you can use a large enough wick that it won't die.

I would LOVE to single wick it! Everyone kept telling me it wasn't possible. I just got some HTP1212s ... would that work or is there something better you would recommend? :)

I would LOVE to single wick it! Everyone kept telling me it wasn't possible. I just got some HTP1212s ... would that work or is there something better you would recommend? :)

Try a single 1212 and see what happens. I use to single wick a large jars with those. OHHH the joy of testing!:smiley2:

By the way, I'd hesitate to use an additive whose nature was not explained to me. Have you found out what it is? It's not impossible that it's simply vegetable stearic, in which case 6% sounds like a lot to be using.

Actually I meant to say I used 3% per lb. Sorry!

The package and the website both just say:

"This all natural, vegetable based additive will lessen frosting and give smoother tops."

Other than that...I honestly don't have a clue what's in it. Never even thought about it until now! :(

Here are my recommendations:

(1) Become your own expert. Nobody knows how your jar will work and you'll always get conflicting opinions because everyone is working with different variables and/or has taken different approaches to figuring out their own situation.

(2) Get one or more sample packs of wicks in different sizes so you can experiment. I'd think along the lines of HTP, RRD and ECO. Nice sample packs are sold by Peak, Bitter Creek North, and CandleScience.

(3) Make your testers without a wick, then just poke a hole and try different things.

(4) Don't immediately resort to the blowtorch approach. Start by finding the smallest wick that burns cleanly and reliably and has a nice looking flame height, then see what kind of MP you get. All you're really looking for is 1/4 to 1/2 inch FMP in 3 hours.

(5) Be conservative with the additive (plus try to find out what it really is). If it does really solve a problem you're having, use the smallest amount that works. Maybe you only need 2% (if it's stearic, that's probably the case).

Good luck and post in the gallery when you get it working.

Sorry I disappeared! Figures my wax would start getting to that slushy stage just when I was getting some great information. :)

Try a single 1212 and see what happens. I use to single wick a large jars with those. OHHH the joy of testing!

I'm going to pour some more tonight and try the 1212. :D

...Good luck and post in the gallery when you get it working.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and encouragement. If I ever get it to work, I will definitely post a picture! :)

The additive you are using is just fine. It made by enchanted lites and it was origainally designed for their soy wax. Other Enchanted Lites distributors sell it as well Moonglow Candles and Candlesoylutions.

I'm glad to know it's okay! I wonder if it makes a difference using in a different type of soy than the EL? I have to say, my tops are quite a bit smoother and I do have less frosting....but maybe I'm just getting better at judging when to pour. LOL :cheesy2:

Now if I could just figure out why only one of the wicks decides to drown completely out... LOL I've even tried "rotating" the candle to make sure it wasn't sitting unlevel.

My 16 and 26 oz apoths are 4" exactly, and I successfully single wick with a 1312. I think the 1212 might work very well for that jar! I'm really interested in if you can try that. I'd be very happy to send you a few if you want to try them, just PM me with your address!

My 16 and 26 oz apoths are 4" exactly, and I successfully single wick with a 1312. I think the 1212 might work very well for that jar! I'm really interested in if you can try that. I'd be very happy to send you a few if you want to try them, just PM me with your address!

Thank you so much for offering! Luckily, I just bought some assorted sizes of wicks from MichelleOH in the Classifieds last week and there were some 1212s in the bunch. :)

I poured another batch last night and I'm going to test them with the 1212s. Is 12 hrs. long enough to cure if you're just wanting to test how it burns? I'm sooo impatient sometimes! LOL

Rusty

Try backing off on your F/O a bit. I see you're at 8%, try a tester at 7%, then 6%. A drowning wick suggests to me that your F/O is a bit much.

Andy

Thanks Andy! I wondered if I might need to back down on the FO a little. I started out making tarts and I got used to using 1.5 oz pp in everything - it's been a hard habit to break. :)

:sad2:

Well, I poured another one wicked with a HTP1212.

Used Harvest Spice FO at 6% - NO additive - colored it pumpkin orange with dye blocks.

The first test burn it looked wonderful. FMP of 1/4" after 3 hours. Flame looked good, but was flickering somewhat. I continued to let it burn for around 2 more hours. It was still burning good when I extinguished it.

Second test burn everything went downhill. After 5 hours still no FMP, lots of hangup on the sides and the wick looks like it's mushrooming and making the flame look almost divided in half.

Here's a picture:

ApothCandle3.jpg

I'm about ready to throw these jars out! :mad:

The melt pool looks really lopsided, but it's not quite as bad as the picture makes it appear.

On the bright side - Strong hot and cold scent throw with only 24 hours curing time. :)

Duh...I didn't think about having to wick up because of the FO! :o I swear I'm losing my mind! LOL

I'm pretty sure it has cinnamon in it too - it smells alot like Spiced Pumpkin Pie to me. :)

No I don't have any of the 1312s. Where's a good place to buy those? I don't think I've seen them listed anywhere I normally buy wicks.

Have you tried another fragrance other than Frankincense & Myhhr? I tried wicking this fragrance and it was harder to wick than Patchouli, which I have mastered...I have no more hair, since I pulled it all out, but I have a great Patchouli candle now ;)

If it were me, I would try another fragrance. A seasoned candle maker once told me, if a fragrance it giving you that much trouble FORGET IT! There are too many fragrances out there so get stuck on one. I took her advice!

Another thought, some fragrance manufacturers will critique a fragrance for you so it will burn in your type of wax. This is another possibility, if you definately have to make a Frankincense & Myhhr candle. PM me for a manufacturer, if you are interested.