Golden Brands 444 Questions

Hi All,

I'm new to the site (and candle making) and have a question regarding wicks to use w/ Golden Brands 444 wax. I've tried LX, CD, HTP and ECO wicks and have manged to throughly confuse myself in the process. I like the ECO and LX series, but I'm having trouble getting a full melt pool in a 2.5 in, 8 oz jar. The ECO 6 and 8 produce too big a flame, but the 4 doesn't melt the edges. The LX 16 and 18 also leave wax on the edges, but I'm afraid to go bigger and get too big a flame.

Also, has anyone had sink hole problems w/ Golden Brands 444? I pour at 175 and get some holes, is 175 too hot for pouring?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks - Mike

hi,

I'm realativly new myself---have been pouring candles since Sept. I use Golden Brand 444. Almost went crazy trying to get a complete melt pool. After trying several different wicks and sizes I finally got a cmp using a RRD-40. I'm still testing several FO's and occationally I wick up to a RRD-47. I'm using an 8 ounce 2 1/2 inch diameter metro jar.

I found pouring slushy at lower temps 110-120 gives me smooth tops and less wet spots.

Hope this helps, Kathy

Many of us here have extensively tested Golden Brands soy wax of all varieties, and in my experience the 444 and 415 are the two best. For a candle noob such as yourself, the 444 should be a very good wax to start out with. It doesn't need any additives, and it does a pretty good job if you pour it in the neighborhood of 135 degrees. You could actually pour at any temperature above that, but then you would definitely need to poke for air pockets and heat gun your tops to fill them in. I definitely would recommend you get a heat gun, you can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot. Look in the paint section, where you would find paint stripping products. Should only set you back $20. That will be the single wisest candle making equipment purchase you can make (with a Presto Pot a very close second :wink2: ).

Good luck and carry on noob! geek