Heavy oils

HOPI

Hi, I have a stupid question.:grin2: How do you know if a fragrance oil is "heavy" or "light"? There are many references to heavy oils that need to be wicked up but how does one determine if it is indeed heavy? They are sold by weight and not volume. Do you do a side by side comparison of the amount in the container?

Thanks for your help,

Hi, I have a stupid question.:grin2: How do you know if a fragrance oil is "heavy" or "light"? There are many references to heavy oils that need to be wicked up but how does one determine if it is indeed heavy? They are sold by weight and not volume. Do you do a side by side comparison of the amount in the container?

Thanks for your help,

You can weigh one FO then another if you get less volume in one than others, that weigh the same, then that oil is heaver than the other oils but may not be heavy enough to have to wick-up.

If you order from a supplier that sell their FO's by weight, and you order in 1LB sizes and the bottle is simi transparent, look at the fill leveals when you get them. The bottle with less oil will be a heaver oil but not always a heavy enough oil to have to wick-up.

To help with heavy oils here are some common ones...

Vanilla or any blend that has a lot of vanilla in it,

Patchoulli,

Nag Champa,

Leather

These are the ones I know of but there are others out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, I always have to wick up on heavily spiced scents (lots of cinnamon or clove, for example), and I always have to wick up on heavily perfumey scents, such as Drakkar. So to me, "heavy" fragrances do not mean weight -- they mean heavy in the sense of "strong" scents. LOL Just the way my weird brain works.