Need Help With 444 Wax

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board. I've been lurking for a few days and enjoying reading the posts. Everyone here seems very nice and helpful. I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma.

I've been testing the Golden 444 wax (8 oz jelly jars) and am very satisfied with the smooth tops, virtually no frosting, good cold and hot throw. But I have yet to make a candle from this wax that does not have a hidden air pocket around the wick, just below the surface!

I've tried every possible combination of variables to try to eliminate the air pockets, but no luck. I've poured at every temperature between 130 & 180. I've preheated the jars and not preheated the jars. Cooled on the countertop and cooled in a barely warm oven (turned off). I don't know what else to do. I end up with an air pocket in every single candle! Right now I'm poking holes around the wick after the candle sets up and using a heat gun to fill in the air pockets, but that's getting to be a real pain...not to mention very time consuming. And I hate doing that since it also melts the primer wax off the wick.

The temperature in my home is set at 70 degrees, so I don't think that's an issue. Any suggestions from anyone on what else I can do to avoid getting the air pockets? I'm about ready to send this wax out with the trash. :cry2:

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Rhonda

I am currently "playing" with this wax as well. The only suggestion I can make at this time is to do a second pour :(. I don't much like having to do it either. I prefer a one pour wax myself ;).

I'm sorry I can't offer anything else. Perhaps some of the "seniors" around here will have a solution.

I've posted before about airpockets with this wax. At first, I wasn't sure about the throw either, but I've had time to cure and those candles seem to have a pretty good throw now. I need to get more wax to continue testing to see how to alleviate this problem. If you figure it out, let us know.

I had the same issues with the 444 wax and ended up switching to 449 because I felt it had better throws. I still have to do two pours with the 449 unless it'a shallow container like a tin. I tried all of the tricks that you did and nothing helped so two pours it is. Sorry I don't have any enlightening news but at least you know you're not alone;)

Linda

When I was testing it I had sinkholes too and was underwhelmed by the cold throw. The sinkholes I could have lived with but not the wishy washy cold throw. The 449 does work better.

I've been working with 415 for a long time and really like it, but of course had to pour slushy. I'm close to a new wax formula using the 415 with BW and the new Universal Soy Additive from Candlemaker's store that might allow me to pour hotter and avoid the cracking problem one gets when using too much BW.

geek

It ddn't take me long not to like this wax.I was happy at first because I could make Pillars tarts etc and not have to buy pillar wax that is pricey.That was news but do not like the wax.It is greasy to me.Also it was so hard to get out of my tart mold.I don't know why.

The smooth look was great but I had some slight seperation from around the jar.I might make some tarts to get rid of it but never again.The seperation may have been the cold in the basement but still oily feeling.Also if it does need a re-pour I stay away from those waxes.Once is enough.

LynnS