Has any one tried

Vicky_CO

I posted this on another board, then realized I never posted it here:

I received samples from them and have had one in the shower for a week or so. It's not holding up very well. sad.gif When exposed to water, the label bubbles up. It does flatten back out upon drying. After 2 days in the shower, the label had a tear on one side and several white marks where the coating scratched off. After 3-4 days in the shower, the ink was running. Now, the label just looks horrible. The white sections are now purple and blue green and the colored sections are extremely faded. The label wasn't even on a bottle that was used. It just had to sit there and look pretty. thumbdown.gif

They are supposed to have a label stock that's better for bath products, but they didn't send samples of those. Their basic gloss stock simply won't do.

Thank you for the update, Beesweet.

I have been watching this thread. I don't think the intial investment is out of line, but the consumables on these printers are pricey. You could get a boatload of professional printed labels for much less, with no learning curve.

This might be optimal for someone that has one two different size labels, but when you are talking six or more different sizes, the cost of the labels would add a significant amount to your first purchase.

My mind is made up after your post, I don't need one of these. ;)

I was skeptical to begin with in the first place, so it's a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Dragging up this old thread to see if anyone has bought one and what they think. I will be ordering mine in the next couple weeks. As far as the labels holding up.....mine are printed on their High Gloss High Water & Scratch resistant stock that are designed for B&B products and I think they are wonderful. I have been using these labels on my products for over and year and have had absolutely no problems with them.

I posted this on another board, then realized I never posted it here:

I received samples from them and have had one in the shower for a week or so. It's not holding up very well. sad.gif When exposed to water, the label bubbles up. It does flatten back out upon drying. After 2 days in the shower, the label had a tear on one side and several white marks where the coating scratched off. After 3-4 days in the shower, the ink was running. Now, the label just looks horrible. The white sections are now purple and blue green and the colored sections are extremely faded. The label wasn't even on a bottle that was used. It just had to sit there and look pretty. thumbdown.gif

They are supposed to have a label stock that's better for bath products, but they didn't send samples of those. Their basic gloss stock simply won't do.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm dragging this up as well, because I've had some junky experience with Primera, but it seems they have a monopoly on affordable (as in under 5k) home label printing, I cannot find ANYWHERE a comparable product, that prints in a higher resolution.

I received samples of both materials, first I'll paste the answers for the email I sent:

Hi Mary,

I am so glad that you received the brochures and samples that I had sent.

All the label samples that you received are our high gloss label material. It is water and scratch resistant. You can get the labels wet or even submerge them in water and the ink won’t bleed or run. The label material, however, is paper based so if left in water or a very damp environment for a period of time the material will break down. I have attached the custom label quote for pricing on our matte polyester material. The material itself is more water resistant but some of the ink may bleed or run when splashed. Please let me know if you would like a sample of that material.

The cost of custom labels depends on the quantity you order. The more you order the less it is per roll. There is also a one time die charge for sizes that have never been created before. This charge will vary depending on your label size and shape.

I apologize but we do not carry those circle sizes in stock. We did just add some new circle sizes for the LX810, a 1.375” circle, a 3” circle and a 4” circle. We already carry a 1.75” circle and a 2” circle and at this time we are not looking to add more sizes.

I apologize but there is not a bulk rate on the stock label sizes.

On average, a color ink cartridge can print 300-600 labels. There are some variables that may affect your prints per cartridge like the amount of printed area on a label, the DPI setting, the saturation setting or even the colors that you use.

Now, with the first set of labels, which was the high gloss pricey "b&B" suggested, they ARE paper based and it's falling apart with a once daily splash that I've been doing to it (while comparing it to my home made vinyl labels). The ink does NOT run, yay, but the label looks like hell and once it's wrinkled a bit, it hasn't settled down or flattened out. ETA: This is only after a week btw.

With the next material in line, the label holds up VERY well in water, looks great as far as the material, but the ink is blotching.

So you can sacrifice one for the other it seems. This is with regular water application and NOT with anything else like soap or lotion, so I would assume that would make either condition worsen when adding oils into it. This is also without using Krylons or other labeling techniques. It's strictly label versus label.

I also worked out cost per label on my own versus the cost of the label to pro print and also cost to print from scratch myself.

Primera labels alone for non-custom, in stock sizes worked out to about 3 cents a piece while labels by the sheet worked out to be around 6 (again, not including custom sizes that they don't offer for me). So great, cost is cut in half right? Except, when I worked in that I could average AT BEST 700 2" round labels at 600dpi (gave their cartridge some wiggle room) for almost $50 a piece (unless you spend $1000 to order 24 in bulk), while my current printer can print around 3000 2" labels for a cartridge of around $35, the end result was cheaper to print myself with a standard printer and printing on vinyl at home the labels came out better than what's currently next to my sink by them. I figured out roughly around a total cost of 15 cents per Primera label versus 9 cents for my own. Average pro printed 2" round label (without the ability to change scents as needed) was around 35 cents at best, but generally 40. Additionally, as a side note, their cartridges cannot be refilled like the WalGreen's program or something of the sort, so there is no other option but to buy THEIR ink cartridges at THEIR price (other sellers are higher).

As for the professional look, this can be achieved at home as well, I think the issue comes in with the know how of certain programs. You won't get that look magically off their software either and chances are, the sample labels were professionally created as well. I can completely recreate the sample label at home, simply by using Photoshop and Avery print software.

The BIGGEST bonus of this, is that it would appear that many have problems with the home programs (myself included, took me a bit to get printing properly on a sheet), versus the higher chance that a print on their printer with their software will give you the perfect print, but once you get the template down at home, really that's not that big of a bonus.

But, alas, I haven't found anything else at all BUT Primera that prints higher than 300dpi and wider than 2-3", a few 4" out there, but they stop at 300dpi. (Both my home printer and theirs print at a max of 4800dpi.)

I just wish I could find out some info about any other company on the face of this earth that isn't Primera.

I mean come on, what material does B&BW print on? I know they print themselves, but there has to be something somewhere commercially available....

Don't count on their software to even remotely help you with making a decent label, it is primarily geared to the bar coding part of it, it is very very primitive for making graphics etc. I tried to use it and it was absolutely horrible, I use printshop and it works wonderful with the primera printer. Avery design pro does not work. You can buy the upgraded niceware program (I believe that is what they use) but that is like $500 plus if I remember right. I love my primera but it is not waterproof and it does have its issues, there is another post about the high gloss labels turning yellow and they do. So yes while I love it and wouldn't go back to my other printer it is not the end all / cure all.

Janis