The Candle Source Tart Wax Blend

sunharbor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jeanie...I saw a couple of posts where people where not happy. That's too bad. I hate being excited over something new only to have it be a bust.

It is a shame. A couple of us bought it right away with high hopes. It did burn very well...sorta like a soy or soy blend but the HT just wasn't there.

GL on the tart blend if you do purchase it :)

Thanks...not sure I'll take the plunge. They don't have their old wax anymore do they? I looked on the site and didn't see it. Never got around to trying it either...just tried their FO's for the first time this week. Testing some now.

Thanks...not sure I'll take the plunge. They don't have their old wax anymore do they? I looked on the site and didn't see it. Never got around to trying it either...just tried their FO's for the first time this week. Testing some now.

Sunharbor, they still have the old wax, just changed the name a little; it's the "tart wax". It no longer comes in slabs. Just bought some and made tarts with it, but have yet to test them. The older version was my very favorite, I always had great results with most FOs. Loren claims the new tart wax is exactly the same wax I was using - it'd better be!

I also tried their new container wax (also a paraffin) and, like Jeanie said, the HT just wasn't there; 'twas a real dud, lol; creamy looking, nice looking candle, but still a dud.

Ravens...well that's good news! Let me know after you test the tarts...hope it's the same as the older version. One question though, did you use it straight or add any other wax to it? I'm trying to replace my current para-soy tart wax (KY's..now AH/RE). I'm wanting to go paraffin instead of para-soy.

I don't add anything to it. In the past I tried throwing in some vaseline, but didn't get any noticeable difference, except that it made it harder to remove from the molds, lol. I do not use dyes; just TCS tart wax and FOs. Oh yeah, and I like to play with the temps, that did make a diff! HTH

I will let you know after I test them. If I forget, just send me a PM to remind me... old age sucks, bwhahahaha!

Will do....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I don't want you to have to go thru what I'm going thru....thought my tart wax testing days were over. I've been using the KY tart wax for over 5 years...this last year I'm not as happy with it as I thought I was.

I tried TCS tart wax for the first time yesterday (only tart wax Ive ever tried)...I didnt use any additives-took color beautifully, fell right out of the molds, and ct is great! Waiting a few more days before testing for ht...hth

Imc....I just got my TCS tart wax yesterday too!! Made several testers yesterday and several just a little while ago playing with the temps for smoother tops. I agree, the ones I made yesterday have amazing CT...can't wait to test for HT as well. I didn't use any additives either & colors great and came out of the portion cups like a dream.

Let me know how your testing goes....I'm so excited for this to be the one!!!

How it takes to scent definetly makes it fun to play with but it is SO different than soy-seems you need to work fast with it which is creating a challenge with maintaining a pour temp...gotta love it :rolleyes:

Will do....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I don't want you to have to go thru what I'm going thru....thought my tart wax testing days were over. I've been using the KY tart wax for over 5 years...this last year I'm not as happy with it as I thought I was.

Oh, you too? Mine wasn't with KY and it was container but when ya realize its got to be done all over....from the start..again...well, as you know, its not a good day. :angry2:

GL all. Ravens says the stuff is da bomb!

Imc...yes you do have to work fast..thought it was just me. Can't seem to get that last tart poured without reheating.

Jeanie353...fun huh....can't believe I'm going thru this again...arrrgh. My fingers are crossed that this wax is the bomb...I have really good feelings about it.

I'm still in testing mode. I agree CT is great. Playing around with the "heat to" temp. The 1st few tarts I've tested had great CT but the HT was not great. A few scents had good HT but I'm having trouble with most of the bakery scents having HT...they are my biggest seller so I really need to get that worked out and a couple I couldn't get to blend in the wax. I was heating to 170, adding FO at 165. Today I poured a couple at 185 adding FO & color. So we'll see next week if the HT improves.

Imc.....what temp are you heating the wax? I've got the pour to temp down for smooth tops so that's progress. Now to get the HT.

sunharbor, care to share your pour temp for smooth tops? :) Ive been adding the fo ar 185*, stir for 2 minutes then pour...ht has been good but havent tried any bakery scents yet.

sunharbor, care to share your pour temp for smooth tops? :) Ive been adding the fo ar 185*, stir for 2 minutes then pour...ht has been good but havent tried any bakery scents yet.

Please remember that what I'm typing here is from personal experience with TCS tart wax, meaning that just because it worked for me does not guarantee it'll work for you.

I add the FO between 165 and 170; I don't use my old candy thermometer any longer (I think it read too low, so I was adding the FO at too high a temp). I certainly do not stir for 2 minutes, it's more like 30 seconds or so. Now, in all honesty, there is just one little thing I do to the wax, probably not that important, but it's my little "secret":rolleyes2 - has to do with temps.

Bakery FOs do great - well, most of them do. The following come to mind, but I'm sure there are more:

Amish harvest (Peak's), Caramelized pralines (Candle Science), Pumpkin Souffle's (Candle Science), Pumpkin brulee (AH/RE), Candied yams (LoneStar), Gembertaarts (TCS). They WILL run you out of the house! :grin2:

Pour at the lowest temp you can.

Edited by Ravens

Now, in all honesty, there is just one little thing I do to the wax, probably not that important, but it's my little "secret":rolleyes2 - has to do with temps.
Geezee....Must be nice to get secret perks for being a stockholder :laugh2::laugh2:

Geezee....Must be nice to get secret perks for being a stockholder :laugh2::laugh2:

Nana nanana, I've got a secret and you don't. Nana nanana. :P

Omg, Jeanie, wonder how many think of us as acting "juvenile", but hey, we're having fun! Think old age may have something to do with it? lol

Look, I put a lot in there, I'm one of the most influential stockholders in that company, so.... :whistle:

Nana nanana

Nana nanana, I've got a secret and you don't. Nana nanana. :P

Omg, Jeanie, wonder how many think of us as acting "juvenile", but hey, we're having fun! Think old age may have something to do with it? lol

Look, I put a lot in there, I'm one of the most influential stockholders in that company, so.... :whistle:

Nana nanana

lol......They say we revert with old age. May as well have fun while we can :)

Do you seriously not have any TV's?

Edited by jeanie353
additional

lol......They say we revert with old age. May as well have fun while we can :)

Do you seriously not have any TV's?

Hey, hey, easy on me! When you asked "Do you seriously not have any TV's", I thought "WHAT is she talking about??" (Ya know, I call it "old brain delayed combustion", lol), and then it hit me, "oooh, the OT topic".

Ok, let me explain. We do have TV sets, four of them, but no service. We use them to watch stuff we rent. Many years ago we decided that quality went down the tubes big time; virtually all TV programs - in our opinion - are to sway the viewers, trying to sell them a product or an ideology; I call it " The battle to conquer your mind".

There is no "unbiased" TV channel, just a whole bunch of brainwashing which is quite difficult to escape because it is so very pervasive. They use all the tricks of the game, and I know the "game" because I occasionally have to use it in my profession and I've been playing it for well over 30 years with great success. It's all done in basically 3 stages; ultimately the best "hypnotist" wins, lol Well, I really should not "lol", 'cause it is very serious.

Anyway, there's your answer: we have computers and we have TVs but no TV service; and the opinions expressed here are mine and in no way meant to offend or provoke anyone. :wink2:

Ravens, hmm...I tried pouring at 170* and it got too thick to pour by the 7th tart mold and I was pouring fast...but Im going to try again according to your directions and see what happens...now you got me thinkin and I want to go experiment but Im already in bed-thanks! lol

Ravens, hmm...I tried pouring at 170* and it got too thick to pour by the 7th tart mold and I was pouring fast...but Im going to try again according to your directions and see what happens...now you got me thinkin and I want to go experiment but Im already in bed-thanks! lol

In bed??? When that poor little TCS wax is calling your name?! :shocked2: *faint*.

Yes, it'll do that, getting too thick too quickly. when that happens, I just stick it in the microwave and as soon as it goes back to the cloudy state, I take it out, swirl it and pour again.

Let us know how it works out for you, and good luck! Oh, and good night.