Can I wrap M&P in wax paper or parchment paper as packaging?

AlwaysWondering

I was reading the descriptions of the three different white M&P bases on the Bramble Berry site. Something caught my attention. This is their description of the Low Sweat M&P

A cold process melt and pour base? How can this be you ask? Our newest base allows you to enjoy the look of cold process in a Melt and Pour base! It is perfect for someone who wants to wrap their soap in paper. This soap base is an opaque white base that does very well in humid climates with little to no sweating!

What do they mean by the phrase in red? Is there normally a problem wrapping M&P in paper? If so, what is the problem?

Im new to all this so Im probably wrong, or forgetting something but.. Different species of glycerin MP sweat, some more than others. If one that sweats is in a humid climate ( like down here in the south ) if you try to package it in paper you're going to have a huge mess on your hands. Ruined labels and just a lot of wet kinda slimy soap lol . A low sweat formula will help control this, and undoubtedly BB is saying their new formula is so "non sweat" you can even package it in paper ( whether Kraft or tissue I dont know which they are referring to ) and not have that issue.

I use the low sweat cp like melt and pour base. I'm wrapping in paper with no problem. I also put the soap in a shrink wrap bag (left open and not shrunk), then put that in an organza bag. I leave them out for a day or two before wrapping. Been doing this for about 7 years now.

I was reading the descriptions of the three different white M&P bases on the Bramble Berry site. Something caught my attention. This is their description of the Low Sweat M&P

A cold process melt and pour base? How can this be you ask? Our newest base allows you to enjoy the look of cold process in a Melt and Pour base! It is perfect for someone who wants to wrap their soap in paper. This soap base is an opaque white base that does very well in humid climates with little to no sweating!

What do they mean by the phrase in red? Is there normally a problem wrapping M&P in paper? If so, what is the problem?

The ingredients look really good: http://www.brambleberry.com/LCP-White-Melt-And-Pour-Soap-P3190.aspx But, if we add things to it, like goats milk, honey, and other recipe ingredients, will it lose it's low sweat properties?

Also, I've been wondering, how do you usually package M&P soap that sweats? And, how does Prairie Annie package her special goats milk recipe soaps?

Edited by HorsescentS

I tried wrapping in parchment paper but the labels wouldn't stick. duh!

I am so relieved to read this. When I tried this (unsuccessfully), boy was my face red when I realized (the DUH! moment) that the reason we use parchment in cooking and soaping is because it doesn't stick... argh!! Wax paper would likely product the same result.

Sweating can be a big issue here because of the humidity, even with HP or CP soaps. I shrink wrap everything and haven't had any issues since. I sure would like to use coffee filters, though. They make a really good-looking package, IMHO.

Going to Stella, but its still OT :

I've been thinking about those filters since we found out what they are. What about this idea : Wrap the soap in saran as usual, then the filter. And either take your finger and get a little soap on it and rub the BACK of the filter, or use the FO you put in the soap and put it on the back of the filter where it wont be showing. When they pick it up , I think they should be able to get a wiff. I dunno, just trying to figure out how to do it !

Please tell me more about coffee filters. I have one in my hand right now. Is this for giving it a more homespun natural packaging look or does it serve a purpose? I was going to use freezer paper to wrap mine and then seal with my label. Should I wrap in coffee filter first for some reason?

There's a new thread with pics of round soaps wrapped in coffee filters with a black and white label. The coffee filter looks like and expensive pleated wrapper, and you can smell the scent through it. I can't remember the name of the thread, maybe "Pics of my products," or something. I'll try to find it. Everyone is in love with the coffee filter wrappers, including me!

Back to the wax paper question. I use it all the time to wrap my finished soaps in. Both to transport and to store. I don't use them specifically for packaging. I use a cigar label on my soaps and wrap them in wax paper to take to the market to sell. In between market and craft show days I keep them wrapped in wax paper. But they must be in a dry and cool environment. If the soap sweats from heat and or moisture it will come off on the wax paper.

Never used parchment paper. Wax paper is cheaper and I use a ton of it every year for storing my soap.