The Candle Source Wax

ky-sam

Is this your first try making tarts with The Candle Source wax?

I use it and it is my very favorite; it works with nearly all the FOs I've tried.

Gave a shot to other waxes and blends; some came close to it, but none quite like it. However, i haven't tried container candles. Let us know how it performs in containers, please! :smiley2:

Edited by Ravens

Ravens, I just started using this wax not to long ago and love it! While I was picking up a case I started asking questions about jar candles and he just told me everything to do! They are such nice people! I will be trying in the next couple days!

Ravens, I just started using this wax not to long ago and love it! While I was picking up a case I started asking questions about jar candles and he just told me everything to do! They are such nice people! I will be trying in the next couple days!

Umph, so that's what I have to do to get some advice? Go there in person?:laugh2:

Can't, that would be some 15 hrs drive away.... not very convenient.

Would you mind telling us what he told you? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ravens, I made a berry brulee with TCS wax using a 8oz jelly jar and TCS medium wick and cured for a week. All I can say is I think it turned out very nice for being my first candle! Burns well and smells up my house He told me he uses the medium wick with all his candles. Im going to make a batch of NG cinnamon Yum Yums and give out to test.

when say medium wick do you mean the zinc or cotton ones? I'm getting ready to try some of the wax and figured I might as well order wicks too while I'm ordering. TIA Cindy/WI

Ravens, I made a berry brulee with TCS wax using a 8oz jelly jar and TCS medium wick and cured for a week. All I can say is I think it turned out very nice for being my first candle! Burns well and smells up my house He told me he uses the medium wick with all his candles. Im going to make a batch of NG cinnamon Yum Yums and give out to test.

Cindy, I think when Loren says "medium" or "large" he refers to zinc wicks, with 51z being a medium wick. Not positive about this, but I will go check my notes and update if wrong. (He sent an email about this a long time ago).

I've always wondered about that wax. It says you can use it for containers, tarts and votives. How is this so - a container wax that makes tarts that will pop out of clamshells and free standing votives? Do you have to use additives to change it from container to tart/votive wax?

When I called TheCandleSource, Loren was not available, so I spoke with his mother. She told me that blend (the blend we're talking about here) contains no soy, it's "paraffin with some additives" - those were her words.

I consider it an unusual wax just because of the texture; when I cut it, the inside reminds me of a coconut, the white, inner part of the coconut, the flesh of the coconut. I also think it is whiter than all the other paraffins I've tried.... and I tried many, lol

Glass adhesion has been very good for me, with very, very few wet spots. I'm sure it'd be even better if I weren't so sloppy with the pourings!

Well, all y'all (that's plural for y'all) get a gold star for advertising. I went ahead and picked up a slab of the container and the pillar from TCS. Looking forward to trying them out. The container blend reminds me of something between Harmony and 4786. The price was OK and shipping was not as nasty as I thought.

OK I also just ordered a slab of this wax, I've been using KY's since she came out with it and the last couple of boxes

I was not happy with at all so I'm going to give this one a shot & hope it work's for me. I will post when I get some tarts

made.

Thank you, Cindy; let us know if you like it.

This is my very favorite wax for making tarts/clamshells. I know that some don't get the same great results like I do, and I really don't know why.....

I tried KY parasoy for tarts more than once, and was very, very disappointed; I just couldn't get it to work for me :-(

Well, howdy. So far I think I really like the 128 in containers. I'm on my second container to test. It seems to hold a pretty decent FO load. No wet spots. I like the creamy color and really like that this wax isn't gloppy to work with. Seems to throw very well. I think it is comparable and maybe (dare I say) a tad better than my personal blend. The HTP wick didn't seem to work well in it though so I'm trying an ECO. So far so good. I can see this in a clamshell.

Ravens, I am also curious is it a specific type of wax that CS carries? I am looking for a different tart wax. I was having really good results with Ky's Parasoy votive wax, but now it seems like the tarts lose their scent very quickly. I want a wax that will hold the scent for at least 4 hours or so. And when you make the clamshell tarts, how many tarts do you put in a warmer at one time to get a nice scent a large area?

Flowerbaby, I tried KY parasoy wax for tarts, more than once; never pleased me one bit, never worked for me. After a few hours, the scent would be gone.

The Candle Source wax I'm using is available at The Candle Source, nowhere else; it's their blend, and I absolutely love it. It works for me, with the vast majority of FOs. True, it may not be an easy wax to wick, but if you get that wicking down, you're set to go, so to speak. Don't know what I'd do if Loren decided to quit selling this wax, or if they altered its formula!!

I don't know which is closer to you, The Candle Source or Candlewic, but I also use the CBL 129 (Candlewic) for tarts and it is one outstanding wax, excellent throw. But again, it is Candlewic's own blend, not available anywhere else.

I have tried the IGI 4786; good, but nothing to write home about. Another wax with good (but not lasting) throw is the IGI 4794.

Btw, all the waxes I mention here can be used to make container candles. Please remember, TCS wax works for me; with certain FOs you will smell it for a good 4-5 days, some even longer. It will not throw all FOs equally well but as I said, most will.

P.S. for some reason, Lone Star FOs don't seem to work for me in this wax. HTH :-)

I'm testing this wax right now. I think the scent throw maybe a little stronger than KY's I'm just waiting to see how long

the scent is going to last in the tart. I did a couple different FO, right now I've got MI sugar cookie going and it's smells really nice. Just hope the scent last longer,