Scam Alert

schmoopie

Our company just recieved a letter in our p.o. box from a man in Minnesota claiming he received one of our candles as a "gift". He claimed the candle did not have a wick. Said "it was a rip off, useless, worthless and thrown away". He said "I'd like and expect a response and explanation on how this happened."

This was a double wick jar, which you can't tell on our website. So both wicks would be missing. He obviously went to our website and picked the most expensive candle. Expecting some company out there is going to bite and be "so sorry" and send him a refund.

Those of us who make hand poured candles know the steps... you would have to forget to wick it, and then you would have to not notice the lack of wicks when you went to set the wicks, then you would have to not notice that you didn't have to trim those missing wicks....then when you went to label and pack, you'd have to miss it again.

He used wording from our website, yet sent us a handwritten letter. He did not include a phone number or email address. Of course has no idea where it was purchased....

Please don't fall for this bullsh*t. I am not going to post his name just beware of anything like this, especially anything coming out of Minnesota. Address is town of Willmar, post marked from Saint Cloud.

Figure he may be hitting up as many candlemakers as he can....

Lisa

I have gotten a handful of scammers like that. If it is not an online order and I can verify their purchase...

I either ask them to send it back or take pictures of my "defective" candle with my label on it, and email them to me.

Then I get.. Oh - I threw it out???:rolleyes2 IDIOT!!

I'll ask where they bought it and if they have a receipt.

They usually answer: I don't have a receipt and forget where I got it??

My Motto: No receipt, no pictures, no candle, NO REFUND!!! LOL :P

I just received the same letter today! I didn't figure it out until I'd composed a letter in response (managed to type over another document and lost it). He claimed it was a gift basket and two of the candles did not have wicks. My wax has bubbled up over the wicks when kept in temperature extremes, so it wasn't completely unbelievable. Until I saw the basket he was talking about in my inventory, never sold.

Since he's scamming us, we can file against him for mail fraud. And it's happened to at least two people we know of. Lisa, did you save yours?

I wanted to let you all know that I just recieved the same letter mentioned above. I will take this to the post office tomorrow and keep you informed of what they say.

Thank you for the first post mentioning this letter as I was in pure panic mode.

I will keep you updated!

I just got the same letter and came to CT just to see if anyone else had!

I knew he was full of it, and thought it was hilarious. Especially when he said the candle scent was one I haven't poured in YEARS!

I got the same letter yesterday and took it to my local post office. She gave me the number for the Postal Inspector. I asked if I could fill out the online form and she said yes and to encourage everyone else to do it as well. Maybe it will raise a red flag and they will go after this low life!!

• Like 1

I do have mine still. When I did a search for this guy, I was able to find him. Address match on the return address and a phone number. Creative scam, for sure.... Maybe targets smaller companies who really cater to customer service, just expecting refund checks to roll in. How stupid do these con artist think people are??

I just got done filling out the USPS form online. It didnt take long. We do all need to report it because when I finished my form it said:

U.S. Postal Inspectors base their investigations on the number, substance, and pattern of complaints received from the public. We ask you to keep all original documents related to your complaint. We will contact you ONLY if more information is needed.

What do i do???? i bought 200 in candle supplies from brighterscents.com On January 13, 2011 how long should i wait for a tracking number or something the site says for multiple (anything over 12 of any one thing) but i only got one of somethings here is what i ordered anyone could tell me how much time this would usually ship in??? I did not get a tracking number only an order number and i called hundreds of times and i emailed 3 times no response and i left 3 messages on the answering machine...???????? I think i was scammed !!! I used credit card is there a law against that?

Glitter:

Glitter

Choose Glitter Color : Apple Red

$2.95

Glitter:

Glitter

Choose Glitter Color : Silver

$2.95

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

etc.: Clam

Shell - 6

Cavity

Clam Shell Quantity : 1 clam shell

$0.58

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

etc.: Candle

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Magnolia (Purple)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Fire Engine Red

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

1/13/2011 Order Confirmation

…yahoo.net/…/MetaController.html?ysc… 1/5

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Grape (Deep Purple)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Honeysuckle (Yellow)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Jeweled Citrus (Orange)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Forest Pine (Green)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

Making Dye

Blocks

Choose Dye Block Color : Berry (Medium Blue)

$0.99

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

etc.: Zinc

Candle Wicks

- 5 "

Wick Quantity : 100 (+6.49)

Choose Wick Size : 44-24-18

$7.99

…yahoo.net/…/MetaController.html?ysc… 2/5

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

etc.: Stearic

Acid

$2.95

Wicks, Dyes,

Containers

etc.: UV

Inhibitor

$3.95

Gel Candle

Kit: Seascape

- Beginner

(Makes 5)

Choose Fragrance : Coconut Bay (Y Type)

$21.95

Gel Candle

Fruit Embeds:

Pineapple

Chunks - Wax

Fruit Embeds

Add Scent? : Yes (+1.00)

$17.00

Gel Wax in

Bulk: Gel

Candle Wax

Penreco CMP:

25 pounds

$83.50

Gel Candle

Kit: 5"

Strawberry

Pies (makes

6)

Choose Fragrance : Strawberry Jam

$33.95

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Caramel Apple

$2.99

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

$2.99

…yahoo.net/…/MetaController.html?ysc… 3/5

Choose Fragrance : Banana Nut Bread

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Coconut Cream

$2.99

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Cotton Candy

$2.99

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Dreamsicle

$2.99

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Sweet Lavender

$2.99

Fragrance Oil

- 1 ounce

Choose Fragrance : Pina Colada

@ leigha...I've never ordered from them before, but reading thru their customer care page w/their shipping policies...looks like they take alot longer to ship out with custom items like embeds, (says up to 30 days...which seems long to me, but it's their policy) & I see you have an embed in your order. Hopefully they will answer you soon here....says they only want customers to contact them via e-mail too. Personally, I would have at least contacted you to let you know a rough estimate when to expect your order to go out. But, I don't know if they are overwhelmed with orders or other things?????? Please keep us updated. Really don't think it's a scam, though.

Edited by marcuset

Well the thing is it said if there were more than 12 of a particular kind it would be 15-30 days... but for regular orders 7-10 days and thats went by already... thats why i ordered only one of a few of each. I just am wondering because to me i had to search for days for the number... and before i used the number i emailed twice and let a week go by, no response. The address on the site has no street address. This just is all too fishy for me. though i was so glad to have the money to get the candle stuff i did not look at the site closely. I was just wondering if i should start the credit card charge back, that way i get my money back. :( Just stinks ...i would much rather have the candle stuff than the money :(

Before you do that...read their customer care section...."Notifying us that an order needs to be cancelled is not a guarantee that we will be able to retrieve the order if it has already been processed. It is best if you can email us detailing the transaction (include your name, company name, address, and order number) and we will confirm if we are able to cancel your order. All credit card transactions that have already been processed will be given in store credit to use at a later time. You will receive a confirmation number and code at the time of cancellation. If we are not able to cancel your order and it does ship, you can refuse the package at time of delivery. If you refuse the package, you will still be responsible for the shipping charges both directions on that order, and store credit less the 20% restocking fee will be issued for the merchandise when it is returned to us."

Edited by marcuset

I already did it says "if you ordered and received shipped materials" I know i wish i would have this site sooner to ask all of you which site to go with. I guess a HARD lesson learned !! Even "The Fair Credit Billing Act" says if you did not receive the product that was ordered that you have a right to have it credited back. And that the credit card could charge you but not the merchant as long as you did not receive the items. http://credit.donyell.net/billed.htm thanks though i appreciate the comments like i said sucks to be me right now...And i hope i am wrong lol