new to candle making

dlw902

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a happy new year :) I am trying to get into gel candle making and bought one of those kits yesterday. I made some pretty nice basic looking candles (nothing inside)... How long does it take to actually become good enough to make crafty looking candles? I was walking through the fleamarket the other day and saw someone who had put little football helmets in his candles, which I thought looked really cool which gave me the idea. What do you have to do to the objects in order to put them in the candle where they will not burn?

• 7 months later...

The amount of time it takes to become good depends on a couple of things. First it depends on the materials you are using. If you use kits from craft stores expect to have issues. If you want to be a pro, use only the VERY BEST supplies, this is usually the most expensive supplies. Next it all depends on how you learn. If you do it like i did it years ago, trial and error, it took me about a year. If you were to sit down with me in my shop, you would become a pro in about 2 days.

In regards to the embeds in the candles. The glass inserts look horrible. I go with the rule of common sense. The football candles obviously have plastic football helmets in them. If someone chooses to burn this candle they should be smart enough to know that the football helmets may melt. If they are not, they should not be playing with fire. I have never worried about the items inside my candles, not once. Most of my decorative candles are not meant to be burned, so i always use a very small diameter burning wick just in case some genius decides to light the candle and ruin it.

"Most of my decorative candles are not meant to be burned, so i always use a very small diameter burning wick just in case some genius decides to light the candle and ruin it."

Here on this forum, we don't rely on the user's "genius" or, as you probably meant, lack of knowledge.

A candle that is not meant to be burned should not have a wick and certainly should have a warning that it was not meant to be burned in case someone decided to put a wick in it.

Stick around Richard, you might learn something about warning labels here.

Dlw902, I hope you always use a warning label that tells folks whether or not the gel was meant to be burned and if not, don't put a wick in it. If it is meant to be burned, but you want some safety, maybe Richard's idea of a small wick has merit, but I really don't know because I have not tested it.

Edited by EricofAZ

Erico, I'm sorry that you have no idea what you're talking about. You're probably one of the geniuses that tried making your own gel. Let me educate you on decorative gel candles. A wick inside a gel candle does not mean that the candle is meant to be burnt. The wick may vary well be there just to identify the piece as a gel candle. I understand that this is probably way over your head so just trust me on this one. In regards to your question about warning labels Erico, every candle should have one on both the candle itself and on the packaging. My candles had my own warning labels on them instead of the generic ones, so my labels were specific to my candles. It cost a little more but I liked the personal touch. Erico, this lesson along with all of the others is free. Yes, that includes the glass dolphins that took three seconds to find. Stick around kid, you may, one day, learn something..

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a happy new year :) I am trying to get into gel candle making and bought one of those kits yesterday. I made some pretty nice basic looking candles (nothing inside)... How long does it take to actually become good enough to make crafty looking candles? I was walking through the fleamarket the other day and saw someone who had put little football helmets in his candles, which I thought looked really cool which gave me the idea. What do you have to do to the objects in order to put them in the candle where they will not burn?

Do your basic research, learn about polarity and fragrance oils etc. Then it really depends on your talent and your patience. If you really think your candle out and then go slowly you can create a fairly decent candle relatively quickly.

My advice is do not use anything that will burn ... so no plastic, no food... shells can also burn. They will soak up the gel ... so if you use shells make sure you crimp your wick above them.

I have made gel candles for over 10 years and still sell them. Used to moderate a gel candle forum and am happy to help you. Just PM me if you'd like some help without sarcasm or a "whose is bigger" contest.

Just PM me if you'd like some help without sarcasm or a "whose is bigger" contest.

A kind offer, but that doesn't help other readers nor does it allow people to compare the wisdom of experienced gel candle makers. I hope you'll answer questions in the threads for the benefit of all.

A kind offer, but that doesn't help other readers nor does it allow people to compare the wisdom of experienced gel candle makers. I hope you'll answer questions in the threads for the benefit of all.

My wisdom with gel does go way back. I did it for many years before working with soy and to the present working with my new waxes. Per your request for the benefit of the thread Stella, I will answer one right here. Never insert a wick in a candle not meant to be burned regardless if it is gel, soy, paraffin or palm. If our new member wants to give safety advice then he should get it right for the new people trying to learn the safe way. In fact I'll answer two...make that three....air gaps in gel candles can be dangerous as well as off center wicks.

Edited by jeanie353

"Never put a wick in a candle that is not meant to be burned". Hmmm if it doesn't have a wick, it is not a candle. Maybe it would be better to "not sell to people that are not smart enough to light a match". Common sense and warning labels go along way. #2, air bubbles in high density versagel are not dangerous. I can't believe how uneducated this Jeanie353 person is. No wonder this forum was shut down before. Wow... Jeanie353 do you even know what a gel candle is or?????

Well, now, kawboy, most people don't do IQ tests before selling. And if you sold on Ebay, there would have been no way you could have guessed how smart your buyers were.

As far as wicks and candles, for several years there has been the brilliant idea of 'wickless candles'. Some companies call their tarts 'wickless candles', others call candles in jars but without wicks 'wickless candles'. Either way, the general public is smart enough to know what a candle in a jar without a wick is for. This is especially true if the 'wickless candle' is displayed smack on top of a hot plate specifically called a 'candle melter'.

It is a rather new phenomonon; perhaps you hadn't heard of it. If not, consider yourself edumacated. lol.

"Never put a wick in a candle that is not meant to be burned". Hmmm if it doesn't have a wick, it is not a candle. Maybe it would be better to "not sell to people that are not smart enough to light a match". Common sense and warning labels go along way. #2, air bubbles in high density versagel are not dangerous. I can't believe how uneducated this Jeanie353 person is. No wonder this forum was shut down before. Wow... Jeanie353 do you even know what a gel candle is or?????

Really? Ever hear of wickless candles?

Oh yes, I do know what a gel candle is but the difference between you and I is that I don't get off on sarcasm or a knowledge contest. Let's say I am secure in my own skin enough to ask questions when needed and take constructive advice when given.

A fast check of your previous posts show you obviously enjoy stirring the pot. Common sense says if you are going to make a quality candle you take every possible safety precaution for the buyer who does not follow directions or does not read directions and knows nothing of the dangers candles can create. Read my posts...you will find I just had a situation of a person who did not burn as directed. I changed my wick prime and I changed my neck tab way above normal standards because our buyers do what our buyers do sometimes.

Sorry Sliver....I was typing during the time you put your post up.

Edited by jeanie353

Yeah no, those aren't candles.... Ebay buyers that spend a decent amount of money on an item generally read the entire description, maybe you don't but my buyers certainly did. And Buffalo just scored another touchdown, we may actually win a game this year.

Really? Ever hear of wickless candles?

Oh yes, I do know what a gel candle is but the difference between you and I is that I don't get off on sarcasm or a knowledge contest. Let's say I am secure in my own skin enough to ask questions when needed and take constructive advice when given.

A fast check of your previous posts show you obviously enjoy stirring the pot. Common sense says if you are going to make a quality candle you take every possible safety precaution for the buyer who does not follow directions or does not read directions and knows nothing of the dangers candles can create. Read my posts...you will find I just had a situation of a person who did not burn as directed. I changed my wick prime and I changed my neck tab way above normal standards because our buyers do what our buyers do sometimes.

Sorry Sliver....I was typing during the time you put your post up.

Oh darn...forgot to address this little bit of info for ya there Kawboy......I was not involved in any posts in the OT that is thought to be the reason the board went down.

Originally Posted by Stella1952 viewpost-right.png

My wisdom with gel does go way back. I did it for many years before working with soy and to the present working with my new waxes. Per your request for the benefit of the thread Stella, I will answer one right here. Never insert a wick in a candle not meant to be burned regardless if it is gel, soy, paraffin or palm. If our new member wants to give safety advice then he should get it right for the new people trying to learn the safe way. In fact I'll answer two...make that three....air gaps in gel candles can be dangerous as well as off center wicks.

Thanks, Jeanie, and your expertise is surely welcomed, but I wasn't addressing you with my comment - I was addressing Twoscentsworth's reply:

I have made gel candles for over 10 years and still sell them. Used to moderate a gel candle forum and am happy to help you. Just PM me if you'd like some help without sarcasm or a "whose is bigger" contest.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thank-you even though the pm offer is for another! I'll be looking you up.

Do your basic research, learn about polarity and fragrance oils etc. Then it really depends on your talent and your patience. If you really think your candle out and then go slowly you can create a fairly decent candle relatively quickly.

My advice is do not use anything that will burn ... so no plastic, no food... shells can also burn. They will soak up the gel ... so if you use shells make sure you crimp your wick above them.

I am more than happy to reply to specific questions. If the poster had asked about making a certain kind of decorative candle I would have been happy to share...but to go into how to make every kind of gel candle ( and each has a bit different process) would be very time consuming and the poster didn't ask. That's why I offered the PM . I'm more than happy to share my process etc to any specific question...or to reply to PM's .

I have never purchased a gel candle, but I have a good friend who owns a couple, and, you guessed it! She tried to burn them... Bless her COMPLETE heart!! Totally ruined the appearance of them. I mean, WHY would someone burn a seascape and not expect it to look terrible? It would be like letting the water out of an aquarium for goodness sakes!! Fish can't swim with no water and a bunch of fish lying on sand is rather uninteresting. I don't need a decorative piece depicting a fish kill on my shelf!!

I CAN see burning the beer candle you made, for example. It would just look like someone drank the beer. Might be fun while knocking down some brewskies... but to burn a 3D sculpture in gel shows a deficit of common sense to me. Some candles are decorative by design - cut & curl candles, for example. You CAN burn them, but then they wouldn't be very decorative after that... In this case function follows form.

Edited by Stella1952