Wow...

Bernadette

It's really hard to tell how much it would cost to make because they do not give the dimensions of the sniffer. BUT assuming that it is the oversized sniffer that Libby makes(which holds about 7 lbs. of gel), and assuming it's a votive insert they are using for the burn part(assumed because they recommend tealight refills), and assuming it's high density gel(the most expensive kind), and adding the other materials; at most, it would cost $50.00 to make, guessing. Mistake to put the red sand on the top, because in over 10 years of making these candles, I've never found a red sand that does not bleed red into the gel over time(sometime a month, sometimes years), which takes away from the forever appeal.:tiptoe:

Now maybe I am completely wrong here, and if so please excuse my ignorance. But how in the heck is a gel candle ORGANIC! Really I just can't see it. Like other people on Ebay claiming their palm candles are organic. I have not been able to find any supply of organic palm wax. Really irritates me to no end when people make claims like that, blatant false advertising (or ignorance). Ok, of my soapbox. But hey, if they can get someone to pay that amount, more power to them. And of course,they use the only safe gel in the whole world. Geez. Oh, but I would trust them, check their feedback. Looks like they sell dog coats, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

It's really hard to tell how much it would cost to make because they do not give the dimensions of the sniffer. BUT assuming that it is the oversized sniffer that Libby makes(which holds about 7 lbs. of gel), and assuming it's a votive insert they are using for the burn part(assumed because they recommend tealight refills), and assuming it's high density gel(the most expensive kind), and adding the other materials; at most, it would cost $50.00 to make, guessing. Mistake to put the red sand on the top, because in over 10 years of making these candles, I've never found a red sand that does not bleed red into the gel over time(sometime a month, sometimes years), which takes away from the forever appeal.:tiptoe:

Based on that, then they've got one helluva markup there. Guess that's why they don't have any history of those sold.

Okay...she hasn't sold any YET, but from what I can tell, she's only had them listed for alittle over 3 days since all of her candles are 30 day listings, and the listing I referred to already has 307 hits. That's alot in today's eBay climate.

The part that kills me is this:

• Wax-free - We use the only patented oil in the world. Our gel from the only authorized manufacturer, Penreco. Penreco has a patent on the gel and is the only authorized manufacturer of this product in the United States. Many have tried to duplicate their product illegally and have produced dangerous and unstable gels. Furthermore, Penreco does not sell the gel outside of the United States. So if your candle was manufactured outside of the U.S. it most likely wasn’t made with Penreco gel.

• Soot-free and Toxin-free - Gel candles burn smoke-free and are not harmful to your health. They are made from 96% white mineral oil “baby oil”.

Gel is an oil, not a wax?!? Mothers...don't have a candle anywhere near your kids when you break out the Johnson's!!!:laugh2:

Edited by Bernadette
too fast typing!!!!

Did you know a bicycle could cost $28,500 or more?

The Colnago Ferrari was in that price range.

Here is a USED Colnago Ferrari tandem mountain bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Colnago-Ferrari-MTB-Bicycle-/190385190572?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2c53d776ac

I remember when my father was stunned that an automobile cost more than the house. (1965) I wonder what he would say if he were alive today to read that a bicycle cost more than a house and candle cost more than his first airplane (he bought an Aeronca K when he was a kid on a farm for less than the candle)

Yeah, we are undercharging for our candles, however, we are honest and not gouging.

Yeah, we are undercharging for our candles, however, we are honest and not gouging.

It's not just the pricing, Eric. How can they sit there and say that their candles are organic, made from "baby oil"!?!:shocked2: You talk about marketing hype...I am so disgusted lately with all the c--p I'm seeing and hearing on the internet...I thought we got past all this stuff years ago. Sorry, I've just so had it with irresponsibility.:tiptoe:

Wait, how is this a 7 pound candle? Given the proportions of the wick to the size, and that it is a 70 hour candle, I would say less than one pound. Also, no floating embeds, so low density gel.

I'd bet the cost on that is more like $6

There is some art and craftsmanship to it so that's fine. I'd be delighted to sell one of those for $30 and look a person in the eye and know I'm being fair.

Eric , although the dimensions are not given, I'm assuming(assuming only) that they used the oversized libbey sniffer(look at the size of the rose compared to the container). Also, although they say it burns for 70 hours, remember that it's described as a forever candle that's refillable, with only the insert burning. I have these larger sniffers, use them quite a bit for custom orders. They do hold approx. 7 lbs., but what I forgot about in my original estimate is all that sand in the bottom takes up about a third of the candle, so that would only be 4 1/2 lbs. I don't think it's LP gel because in larger containers, the glass insert will shift over time if used alot, especially after the original gel in the insert is used and tealights are inserted. The first years I was in business I only sold forever candles, and all my tester/display candles were LP density and burned all day. When I blew them out at night, you could see how the insert had moved, kinda like how ice on a lake can move a dock or boathouse foundation. That was the end of LP gel use for me. These people may not know that, of course.:tiptoe:

Guess this is a bargain candle for eBay...it costs $179.99 on their website.:shocked2:

Take a look...they have some candles in the $600.00-700.00 range.:shocked2:

http://www.werelit.com

If anyone ever complains about your pricing, you can always refer them here.:laugh2:Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making the most you can off your hard work, but this is alittle over the top.:tiptoe:

Guess this is a bargain candle for eBay...it costs $179.99 on their website.:shocked2:

http://www.werelit.com

If anyone ever complains about your pricing, you can always refer them here.:laugh2:Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making the most you can off your hard work, but this is alittle over the top.:tiptoe:

WOW wish I could charge that for candles:shocked2:

I am so puzzled:confused:...I forgot to mention....

If you read the eBay listing, the seller is located in Bronx, NY. The listing is written as if the seller is the maker. Then look at the shipping section of the listing, and CT sales tax is collected "as required by law". Huh???:confused:

Then go the We're Lit website, and they are located in Arlington Heights, IL :confused::confused::confused:, and ship from Lake Zurich, IL(per their terms and conditions page):confused:. Is this multiple choice?:laugh2:

Cathy, we could charge $1000.00 a candle if we wanted. Good Luck trying to sell any!:laugh2:

I haven't made a gel candle in quite some time because of the rising cost of making it and then not being able to charge enough to even cover my costs.

Who knows--maybe there's some lottery winner out there with more $$ than brains.

BTW--I had to learn the red sand thing, too.

I haven't made a gel candle in quite some time because of the rising cost of making it and then not being able to charge enough to even cover my costs.

Who knows--maybe there's some lottery winner out there with more $$ than brains.

BTW--I had to learn the red sand thing, too.

Luci, have you looked at the candle in the auction? Looks like the red sand is bleeding alittle already!!!:tiptoe:

I'm not sure if it's that or just a reflection from the red rose. I just find the whole thing to be stupid. How many people here brag on that they use a wax or whatever with a patent? Who gives a damn? Maybe when gel candles first hit the shelves it may have been an interesting note.

So I had to look at the site to see what a $700 candle looks like.

My guess is that only someone who REALLY likes candles would even consider purchasing one... and that would be after several drinks.

• 7 months later...

That candle will never sell. Any genius can charge a ridiculous price for something, that doesn't mean the item is actually worth it. If it does sells, I would guess that the seller has it shill bid, meaning the seller has a friend buy it, no money exchanges hands but feedback is left. It makes potential buyers think that people are paying that much money for the item, which isn't the case at all. Charge what you charge and feel sorry for people like this seller that are obviously completely clueless.