Coconut Wax

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes see that with my Advanced Soy candles and HTP wicks, it may go thru another weak cycle too. My question is, would you sell a candle that behaved like this?

I know, its weird how that happened and no I would not sell a candle that behaved like that, its way to inconsistant, but this is the only one I tried with the CD 10, I'm going to try a few more and see if it behaves better.

I'm giving the CD10 another try...the candle on the left seems to be doing better then the candle on the right which was the 1st CD10 above when I first lit it. The jar still seems to be heating up too much even with the CD10, I really don't think an 8 will work but I will give it a try. :confused:

post-4600-139458478673_thumb.jpg

thanks for keeping us posted! I have been playing with the swans coco that I already had but now I have purchased a sample from California Candle Supply. I like the Ca brand much better, Swan's seems to set up and stay somewhat mushy even after a 4 day cure. The Ca brand comes in pellets much like some soy waxes which I think is easier to use and it set up nice and firm. The CT on the Ca brand is the same as swans-very good and the HT also very good. I just wished I used a different FO for testing lol, I'm getting mighty sick of lavender:) I have used cd's along the way in several different jars and they all seem to be doing well. The one thing I have noticed is at the bottom 1/3 of a few of the containers there is a horizontal line that goes around the whole inside of the jar. I think it may have something to do with the rate of cooling. I will try again and heat the jars before pouring. I love this thread:cheesy2:

Thanks for the info Felixncharlie, I did notice that Swans is very soft, I do mix it with about 40% soy so that does help it firm up a bit. I would love to try the coco from CCS, that pellet form sounds much nicer and maybe easier to work with, I wonder if it would burn differently then Swan's since it is harder. I still have a case of the coco from Swans but maybe I will get a sample from them. I'm glad the CDs are working for you, I haven't tried any other wick yet in this wax but for now I'm going to see if I can get the CD's to work. Do you have any pics you could post up? :smiley2:

...that pellet form sounds much nicer and maybe easier to work with

It's sort of a large, clumpy flake. Some small, half dime size to clumps bigger than my fist.

I tested CA Candle Supply's coconut with and without fragrance and dye using HTP wicks. Using an HTP 105 in a 3" container, it left a generous 1/32" hangup. Melt pool cooled very smoothly.

I poured up 12 candles today using 1/2 apricot and 1/2 coconut to test 12 different wicks, including wooden wicks. I didn't retest the HTP 105, but wicked up instead to a 1212. I'll let you know how it worked.

New question... Does anyone use additives with their coconut? Vybar for scent throw or to make a harder candle? UV absorb/stabilizer? USA... coconut is a blend of soy, coconut and beeswax.

Is anyone getting really bumpy tops after your melt pool cools in your test burns? My tops look like cottage cheese, booooo.

I haven't been getting any bumps, so far it cools with nice smooth tops even with the 40% soy.

@MissMori...so far for me, I haven't used anything but straight coco/soy, can't wait to hear how your coco/apricot burns. I really want to get a sample of the apricot.

Edited by lsbennis

• 6 months later...