Coconut Wax

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in, how's it going? I must try one with the wax I have left, I just need to find the time.

Kyme are you pouring as you normally pour soy (meaning temp)?

I have been soaping all day...in answer to your question, I alway's pour at a low temp 100-110. If I pour any higher with 464, weather it is my technique, kitchen, humidity...what ever, that is the only way I get smooth tops. So when I did the blend I just poured at the same temp.:confused: If it is correct I don't know, but the tops looked great and the adhesion to the glass was excellent. But only time will tell if that will hold true. I like it enough to buy some more and use it as a blend. I mean as it is now I put CO in my 464, so I will just try adding 30% Coconut wax instead.

But right now I have gift sets I am working on and I wont make that kind of a change until after the Holidays. :)

Ok, here are the results from 100% coco wax CD12 11oz Libby Tumbler with 1oz pp of Dreamcathcer, CT was good HT was ok, but I only let it cure less then 48hrs, it burned very clean all the way down, not a stitch of soot and only a film of wax left on jar.

post-4600-139458474522_thumb.jpg

post-4600-139458474527_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm liking coconut wax as well. I only tested 2 candles with the sample i got, but have to say, it burned very nicely. Not as clean as the picture above, left a bit more wax. Seems to burn and cool much more nicely than soy.

By the by... the only coconut wax I've found is actually a blend of coconut wax and, because the blends are proprietary, "vegetable" waxs and beeswax. After talking to one tech guy, the most often used vegetable wax is soy.

I'm liking coconut wax as well. I only tested 2 candles with the sample i got, but have to say, it burned very nicely. Not as clean as the picture above, left a bit more wax. Seems to burn and cool much more nicely than soy.

By the by... the only coconut wax I've found is actually a blend of coconut wax and, because the blends are proprietary, "vegetable" waxs and beeswax. After talking to one tech guy, the most often used vegetable wax is soy.

Agreed, I got it at Swans and that is the same impression that I got, I orginally got a small sample from them, then ordered the 50lbs as gift from DH for my birthday. Its really kinda sad when you want coconut wax for your for your birthday, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do for her addiction!:rolleyes2

This candle I'm testing now is a 50/50 with 464 and so far I like it, could never use the coconut wax at 100% way too expensive but this makes a nice blend.

Agreed, I got it at Swans and that is the same impression that I got, I orginally got a small sample from them, then ordered the 50lbs as gift from DH for my birthday. Its really kinda sad when you want coconut wax for your for your birthday, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do for her addiction!:rolleyes2

This candle I'm testing now is a 50/50 with 464 and so far I like it, could never use the coconut wax at 100% way too expensive but this makes a nice blend.

:laugh2::laugh2:My Birthday is in May. Good idea.

I still have a bunch of coconut wax so I'm going to start playing with it again. I will try the cd's first because htp's never worked for me in this wax. What is everyone heating and pouring at? I still have to pull my old notes but I thought I heated to 170 and poured at 130 or so, does that sound right? Also did any of you think that coco needed more fo than soy to get a good throw? I know that was one of the issues I encountered on the last trys-not so great of a throw @ 7%. Thanks in advance for any info.:)

I still have a bunch of coconut wax so I'm going to start playing with it again. I will try the cd's first because htp's never worked for me in this wax. What is everyone heating and pouring at? I still have to pull my old notes but I thought I heated to 170 and poured at 130 or so, does that sound right? Also did any of you think that coco needed more fo than soy to get a good throw? I know that was one of the issues I encountered on the last trys-not so great of a throw @ 7%. Thanks in advance for any info.:)

That sounds about right, I was origianlly heating to about 170-180 adding fo and pouring, and I noticed that it would sink in the middle around the wick. So I'm still heating to same temp adding fo and waiting to pour around 130ish and its not doing that now. I have been using 6%-7% fo and needing to give it a minimum of 48hrs cure. The first couple of tester I lit up the next day and the HT wasn't that strong so I have been trying to give it a longer cure time. I'm using a 50/50 blend with 464 so can't say for sure about 100% coco. HTH

Here is the coco/soy CD 12 after 4 days burning about 8 hours each day, still looks good, have to keep the wick trimmed or the glass was getting a little hot. I'm going to try a CD 10 this weekend.

May I ask where you got those glasses? That looks like a good burn. Now for a wick adjustment and I bet you have a winner.

Here is the coco/soy CD 12 after 4 days burning about 8 hours each day, still looks good, have to keep the wick trimmed or the glass was getting a little hot. I'm going to try a CD 10 this weekend.

May I ask where you got those glasses. I think a CD10 will be perfect for you.

Oh thanks, I saw them in smoke color at The Dollar Tree. They didn't have the clear ones, I might have to ask them.

I ran to the Dollar Store today on my lunch break and this is what I found. They are actually very similar but not quite the same. I really like the smoke finish I think it would look pretty when its burning. I wouldn't mind using them but I wonder how often the Dollar Tree would have them or if they are able to order them when you need them. :confused:

post-4600-139458477888_thumb.jpg

I ran to the Dollar Store today on my lunch break and this is what I found. They are actually very similar but not quite the same. I really like the smoke finish I think it would look pretty when its burning. I wouldn't mind using them but I wonder how often the Dollar Tree would have them or if they are able to order them when you need them. :confused:

:laugh2:I did too. they are bigger in diameter. I picked up two to try, they say made in the USA. They have yours on Amazon too. They are free shipping but I think they are exspensive even with free ship.

Talk to the store manager and maybe they will order for you, I was tight on time or I would have.

Edited by soy327

:laugh2:I did too. they are bigger in diameter. I picked up two to try, they say made in the USA. They have yours on Amazon too. They are free shipping but I think they are exspensive even with free ship.

Talk to the store manager and maybe they will order for you, I was tight on time or I would have.

lol...:laugh2:I think we need to find better things to do on our lunch breaks!

FYI on where to buy coconut wax blend. As already mentioned in this thread there is Swans who sells a coconut blend for $127 for 55#. California Candle Supply also sells a coconut blend (all veggie blend) for $76 for 55#. (I found California Candle Supply on AccuBlend's website as an official distributor of AccuBlend wax)

I have no idea if it's the same wax but WOW - big price difference!

I have ordered 11# from each place to see what I think.

Wanted to share this with those of you who may be interested in trying a coconut blend but were put off by the price. At $76/55# it's about the same per pound as CBA. Obviously shipping costs will differ. :)

HTH.

So here is the CD10 wick instead of the 12, it has been burning now for about 3hrs and it appears to me that it is starting to tunnel and may be struggling a bit. I'm going to burn it a little longer and see if it perks up. I hope this isn't a case of needing an in between wick size that isn't available, do they make a CD11?

post-4600-139458477949_thumb.jpg

post-4600-13945847795_thumb.jpg